soooooo frustrated

Options
Good Morning MFP....

OK so I've been very dedicated the last 2 weeks been working out mon - friday doing 50 minutes of cardio and 35 of weights. I've been maintaining my 1200 calories perhaps eating a little more depending on how many calories I burn on the machines. I've been drinking over 72 ounces of water, only snacking on fiber one bars, not eating past 8pm and as of Saturday I lost 5lbs....this morning I get back from the gym get on the scale and i have managed to gain 2lbs....how is this possible. I'm really killing myself here HELPPPPPPPPPPP

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try weighing in once a day, first thing in the morning after you use the washroom. Keep in mind that your body can fluctuate 2-4 lbs in the same day, based on hydration levels, food in your system, etc.
  • Degator
    Degator Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Could just be retained water weight due to sodium intake from the day before. Had it happen to me, weight the next day and had lost 4 pounds.
  • clumsymofro
    clumsymofro Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You are most likely gaining weight from muscle as you are losing weight from the fat. As you do weights, your muscles start to build and it is true that muscle does weigh more then fat. Also, your weight changes daily due to fluid retention/water weight. Try not to weigh yourself after you go to the gym because you are probably drinking water while working out and that can pack on a pound or two. Try to weigh yourself in the morning, at the same time and only once a week and that will give you a more accurate reading. Keep up the good work though and don't be discouraged, you can do it!! :)
  • Lily_Rose
    Lily_Rose Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It happens to everyone trying to lose weight. The day to day fluctuations aren't that important. It's more important that over time your weight declines.
  • adrehe
    adrehe Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    :smile: First of all great dedication and work! Second of all I agree msot likely you are just seeing a water weight fluctuation. You almost cetrainly drank a great deal of water at the gym and shortly after. Keep up the great work and the weight will drop off!
  • lazirlott
    lazirlott Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I vary back and forth by up to 3 pounds or so. Don't let it upset you, you are still making a difference.
  • dpowell58
    dpowell58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. After 2 1/2 weeks, I have only lost 5 lbs. I work out 4-5 days a week and am trying to be more active through-out the day and am eating right around 1200 cal a day. I feel a 100% better so the only thing I can do is keep it up. The weight has to go at some point. Don't give up, keep on doing what you're doing and celebrate the little things. Good luck!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You gained 2 pounds....but the question is 2 pounds of what??? Did you eat 7000 calories while you were sleeping? It take 3500 calories over your maintenance calories to gain one pound of fat.

It's water weight. Drink and be mindfull of sodium and will will go away.

It's constipation, it will take care if itself. If not take fiber and drink water.

It's your time of the month... time will take care of it.

So really it's not worth panicking about. Fluctuation happen all the time for many reasons
  • paperpusher3
    paperpusher3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just what you're experiencing is why most weight loss people suggest that you only weigh in once a week. I can gain 5lbs overnight. If I eat a lot of carbs or salt I pack on the water weight and I can see it around my ankles and feel it in my legs. May be just me or a female thing. Also, as someone else mentioned, muscle weighs more than fat..I you didn't take your measurements at the beginning you might want to now. I've lost 10 lbs and bounced up and down with that but I've lost an inch at my waist and also at my hips. I'm more proud of that.
  • Corrine5n
    Corrine5n Posts: 15
    Options
    THank you everyone for your words of wisdon...I'm trying to hang in there couldn't help but cry in the shower but the support is helping :)

Corrine :)