UNABLE TO WALK BUT WISH TO LOOSE WEIGHT

Options
jeni62
jeni62 Posts: 3 Member
I am unable to walk due to a medical blunder. I am struggling to loose weight without exercise and as I am in pain all the time this plays on my mind. Any suggestions??? PS I have a 6 year old son with disabilities and is very active it is hard to just meet day to day tasks.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    MFP gives you a calorie deficit without needing to exercise. You can lose weight with zero exercise. However if you're wanting to exercise are you able to do something like water aerobics? My mom doesn't really walk either but she can do water classes. She wears a flotation belt to keep above water easier.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto's to above.

In addition, increase protein to 30% of your goal.

Stick with 1 lb weekly loss and really adhere to it.

At least give your body a fighting chance to hold on to the muscle you already have - will regret losing that sooner and later as a normal diet without resistance training would cause to happen.

And if you can do some resistance stuff from time to time - great.
  • kdhjj
    kdhjj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i am kind of in the same situation basically. i have three broken vertebrae in my back and 6 either bulging or ruptured disc's and a completely torn Labrum in my left hip socket. as well as other medical problems. they can not operate because the surgeon said if they did i have 90 to 99% chance i won.t make it off table. so they want me to do lap band but insurance and money make that impossible. any way here is what i am doing and it seems to be working for me. i eat five to six times a day very small amounts but seems like i'm always full sometimes i even feel a bit bloated. i am diabetic so i eat low sugar things. now that being said i basically eat anything i want (even candy at times) but i have altered the recipes to fit my food needs. i eat cheese and dairy and things i love, but only small portions. i have also figured out some basic meals i rely on to keep my calories down. in the morning you need to eat protein to get your metabolism going so i have a bowl of cereal with 2% milk and 2 poached eggs. or i can have a piece of ham or bacon or protein drink or other type of protein. if i do the protein drink i use that instead of milk in my cereal. i eat cold cereal some days and oatmeal or creamy wheat others. i do this at 5 am so i can eat with my wife before she goes to work and we take my blood sugars at that time also. then at 8;30 i eat a snack some where about 150 to 200 calories. then at 11;30 i do lunch i hate tuna, but it makes a quick lunch and i'm getting used to it. i do lettuce wraps with tuna basically i take a couple lettuce leaves and make 5 pieces on my plate by cutting them down to smaller sizes and it fills the plate. i then take five unsalted saltine crackers and put 1 on each piece of lettuce. then i take 1/2 can of tuna and put teaspoon mayo in and stir to give a bit of flavor then i divide up evenly on five crackers. then i take slice of cheese about 1 ounce and break in five pieces and put on each tuna sandwich. you can use grated cheese it makes look like you are getting more. then i cut up cherry tomatoes in half and put two halves on each one. i some times eat 1/4 cup cottage cheese with this putting it in the middle of the plate to again make it look like i'm getting a lot of food. i use pepper for spice if i need to, mostly i don't use anything. i sit down and take my time eating and stretch it out. for next snack i eat small amount of protein or do a milk shake with just milk and banana . for dinner i do protein like fish or small steak or and salad. i like beans so i will make ham and bean soup and have that with a bit of cheese (1 to 2 ozs) a half slice grain bread and again salad vinegaret dressing i use a brand called skinny girl or free ranch fat free dressings i always drink water not to often do i drink sugar free drinks carbonation kills me. if you want to be friends and go through this journey together become my friend and we can help each other out. i would love to have some support and if i can help it would be great for my mental attitude also. good luck and hope to have you help keep me motivated on my journey also. kdh
  • kiranVP
    kiranVP Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    the answer to this is going with KETO Lifestyle. This is the best way to lose weight and keep it off... PS: I Said it is a lifestyle - not a diet!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You lose weight through a sustained calorie deficit, and you can get that without exercise.

Are you "self medicating" the pain with food? Aim to stop that. Don't eat just to eat, but when you eat, make it count - plan delicious meals that fit within your calorie goal, and enjoy them.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    can you cycle on recumbent bike? My wife has walking problems as well plus she is on loads of medication which does not help either, but she is using the recumbent bike to exercise. It might not burn as many calories as she would want (because the legs are required for cycling as well, and they do not magically re-find the strength), but it does tone the legs and abdomen.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    jeni62 wrote: »
    I am unable to walk due to a medical blunder. I am struggling to loose weight without exercise and as I am in pain all the time this plays on my mind. Any suggestions??? PS I have a 6 year old son with disabilities and is very active it is hard to just meet day to day tasks.

You can lose weight without exercise and this is a great place to do it at. Just be sure to weigh/measure your foods and enter them each day. Good luck to you!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    kiranVP wrote: »
    the answer to this is going with KETO Lifestyle. This is the best way to lose weight and keep it off... PS: I Said it is a lifestyle - not a diet!

Are you spamming every thread with this response??

She's not the only one that's posting the same exact response in all the newbie threads. It's so irritating lol
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    how about swimming? Many people who have joint issues or walking issues have great success with swimming.
  • Kelvininin
    Kelvininin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As what has already be said, you don't have to move to lose weight, but you do have to run a calorie deficit. My first month of weight loss was without any exercise, excluding chasing our three young kids. Hunger is a tough thing to beat, and its strongest when you start down your weight loss path. You have to be ready to deal with it.

What works for me, is keeping healthy snacks around. I eat a lot of cucumbers and bell peppers. Drink tons of water. If you think you are hungry slam a glass of water first. Log everything you eat.

As long as I run my calorie deficit all week, I give myself one free day/week. The free day is basically a day where I don't worry about what I eat, but I do log everything I consume anyway. As long as your average calorie intake is lower than the calories you burn, you will lose weight.

Also consider a fitness tracker, even if you don't work out. It will log any calories your burn beyond your metabolically required calories. Those extra calories represent food you can eat and still lose weight.

Ask your doctor for help. 10mg of phentermine does wonders taking off the hunger edge.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You can also google "chair exercises" and do those. But I agree, calorie deficit is what causes weight loss. Eat within the number of calories this website set you up with.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I was on medical instructed bedrest 2 years ago I lost weight restricting my calories
  • jeni62
    jeni62 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am usually a very active person and have had to lower my calories to 600 a day and am struggling to loose weight. It is very little food and when you are in pain it makes you even more depressed. I will try some of your suggestions and keep with it. Its amazing that the Government can keep you waiting for 4 years on a wait list before you get surgery to walk again with no support or funding for wheel chairs or anything (ps WANDIS can not help because it is considered a health issue due to doctor blunder)
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Is there a general practitioner, physical therapist, physician assistant, or some other medical professional you see regularly? If so, this would be a great question to ask them.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    the people on my 600 pound life eat right and can't do much exercise. You can do this too.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    jeni62 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I am usually a very active person and have had to lower my calories to 600 a day and am struggling to loose weight. It is very little food and when you are in pain it makes you even more depressed. I will try some of your suggestions and keep with it. Its amazing that the Government can keep you waiting for 4 years on a wait list before you get surgery to walk again with no support or funding for wheel chairs or anything (ps WANDIS can not help because it is considered a health issue due to doctor blunder)

You did NOT have to lower your calories to 600 a day. (unless that literally means a sloppy logging 600, but in reality 1200)

You chose to for a rate of loss you wanted.

You'd be advised to NOT to take such a big deficit for that fast rate.

Seriously - with no exercise - you will lose muscle mass just naturally. You will regret that for likely the rest of your life, as it's very hard to build back, especially for a woman, and in your condition, unlikely to be anywhere as easy (which it's not) as someone not as laid up as you right now.

Take a 500 cal cut, 1 lb weekly.

If you have that much to lose - your base metabolism is likely high enough, plus what activity you can do, for that to still leave you some calories.

The last thing you need is your body adapting to an extreme low level of eating.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,425 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had a stroke & is in a wheelchair, she lost weight
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,425 Member
    Options
    I wish you can edit your response, I wanted to add that my friend in wheelchair is not on mfp, most of her meals are junk food, McDouble & fries, rotisserie chicken & mashed potatoes, candy, chocolate & she drinks root beer instead of water, but she eats small portions & she weighs less now than before her stroke when she exercised. She used to be a trainer & rode her bike every where. I know...but she won't listen about eating healthy. just wanted to share since it's so extreme