Carbs versus Fats. This site needs to update its recommendations.

Options
AlexandraCarlyle
AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
edited March 2017 in Getting Started
Current global research confirms that advice given by Government Health Bodies everywhere, is in serious need of review.
It now seems that Carbohydrates are the culprits, while Fats are the friends.

Sarah Hallsberg (a Doctor treating obesity and Diabetes, in the USA) has much to say, and furthermore, Dr Andreas Eenfeldt supports her assertions. To add, an article in a British Newspaper, puts it in black and white.

Even Time Magazine, as long ago as 2014, admitted they printed - and got it wrong. It's a long article. But well worth reading.

In brief, the way this site - and others - recommends weight loss seems, by current assertions, to be flawed.

And if any relief is wanted from the intensity of Science, you only need turn to Butter Bob, who has caused a little bit of a stir with his assertion that "Butter makes your Pants fall off!" videos. (They even wrote a song about it!)

However, even if I ignore guidelines outlined here, and reverse the quantities of fat and carbs recommended to me at my registration (40g and 150g daily, respectively) the assessment each day is going to show an inaccurate conclusion, because according to the way calories are counted on here, I'd be way off the path.

I have actually been following a LCHF diet for 2 weeks now and have lost 6 lbs. Butter Bob will give you a better run-down on the types of foods i've been eating, but sticking with his tried-and-tested formulas, and listening to the Medics, above, has certainly been an eye-opening experience.
Incidentally, my Husband, who is a type 2 Diabetes, has also been adhering to this regime, and has lost weight. If he carries on like this (his Doctor has said) he will come off his meds completely, and rid himself of Diabetes for good. All he will need to do, is continue with his new way of eating....

Please note: I'm sure people have lost a lot of weight by sticking with a specific regime recommended here. I'm merely putting forward the point that it may not all be as it has always been put to us....

How do other folks on here feel about this?

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I'm brand new to the site. I had no idea we could do that. kind of you to suggest it, thank you.
    How do I do that, please?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Before responding, I would urge you to read the articles and watch the videos I posted.

I'm not suggesting replacing calorific amounts. I'm suggesting that dietary recommendations given everywhere, need reviewing. we actually don't 'need' carbohydrates at all, but they're present in virtually everything we eat.
    I take your viewpoints on board; my argument is that calorie-counting/component ratios as presented to me at the outset of my registration, is flawed.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Thanks, @StealthHealth , have looked that up and changed accordingly. Most kind.... :)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    It is true that we don't actually need carbs (the body makes is own sugar from fat and protein), but as you say, carbs are found in a lot of foods that provide nutrients we do need, and those foods tend to be delicious, and people tend to like delicious food.

My point is that Fat per se isn't bad for you, but most dietary recommendations are that you cut it out or restrict intake, to specific fats (such as oils found in flax, olives, avocados and fish). Fats don't need to be reduced or eliminated. It's a globally-accepted premise, due to much influence from the 'wrong' quarters, but it;s a trend that seriously needs reversing.
    And it's nothing new, either. But the voices that have needed to be heard, are only just being heard, now.

So interesting to be discussing this with you!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Could I ask you to take a look at Dr Hallberg's video? All of it, but pertinent to this current discussion, from 11.11 minutes in....
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It is true that we don't actually need carbs (the body makes is own sugar from fat and protein), but as you say, carbs are found in a lot of foods that provide nutrients we do need, and those foods tend to be delicious, and people tend to like delicious food.

My point is that Fat per se isn't bad for you, but most dietary recommendations are that you cut it out or restrict intake, to specific fats (such as oils found in flax, olives, avocados and fish). Fats don't need to be reduced or eliminated. It's a globally-accepted premise, due to much influence from the 'wrong' quarters, but it;s a trend that seriously needs reversing.
    And it's nothing new, either. But the voices that have needed to be heard, are only just being heard, now.

So interesting to be discussing this with you!
    Mainstream nutritional information is tragically lagging, but luckily (or hopefully), the opinion is slowly turning towards a less restricive approach.

You still have to restrict calorie intake if you want to lose weight. But it's smart to cut where it doesn't hurt so much. I thrive on a diet that is rich in fat, including saturated fat, but I also eat a lot of vegetables, fruit, whole grains, fish. Trying to restrict fat made it impossible for me to eat well, or even stick to that low fat diet - the combination of worry and feeling of defeat with the lack of taste and enjoyment, made me cave and binge on less nutritious sweet and fatty food, just to try to get some pleasure from eating. That is not an issue at all anymore, and I'm finally able to maintain a healthy weight.
  • carolbrady1
    carolbrady1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think the main thing isn't to restrict yourself so much that you don't enjoy what you are eating any more - but there are loads of healthy foods that are yummy too! Personally, I don't think I could ever completely give up cake, but I know that if I eat too much or on an empty stomach I will get a horrendous sugar crash shortly afterwards. I haven't experienced one since cutting down on carbs and upping my protein so for me, that's a good sign. I think you have to have an informed choice and a little bit of what you fancy doesn't do you any harm!
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Being born in the mid fifties I have seen the changes in diet advice. My father ate three meals a day with no snacks. Mainly cheap cuts of fatty meat with veg and some carbs in the form of potato and small amounts of home baked bread. He and his peers were always lean and fit looking. Then came cheap carbs in the form of cereal breakfasts and more and more processed foods with hidden sugars and fats. People were advised to eat lots of cereals by the companies wanting to sell anything they could and lying about the health benefits. Processed bread became cheap and pasta was cheap so people ate lots of it. Along with the food pyramid from successive governments (probably funded by cereal companies) people ate more and more cheap carbs and processed foods. Eating a well balance diet with the range of macros all of good quality with minimal processing will benefit most people. I too am a keen cyclists and do increase my carb intake when cycling longer rides. I don't carb up as I don't feel the need. I do increase my fat intake with my eggs, bacon and mushroom breakfast and then add carbs in for the ride duration. I rode sixty eight miles on Sunday with a carb intake of 267 grams and that included my evening meal. This works for me and I have lots of energy and rarely feel hungry. As the weather gets better and my miles increase I expect I will loose some weight. I have been on this eating plan since I stopped drinking vast amounts of beer almost a year ago, I lost my way and put on 90 pounds. I have lost it all and do not want to put it back on. I find my 1950's way of eating easy to sustain and get plenty of good limited processed foods (my bacon is dry cure back bacon, so only salted- no chemicals).
    Whatever you find works for you is your system and if you can maintain your weight without extremes and feel happy; stick to it. Relying on exercise in my opinion is a very bad thing as if injured your intake is too high and harder to adjust down.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    To add, an article in a British Tabloid and Rag, puts it in black and white.
    There fixed it for you. That is where you lost me 100% by refering to the Daily Fail as a newspaper.

Ok, but that was just one link. The others also support that information. Are you saying it's any less reliable than the information given by others?
    I mean, really? is that your only point....? :o
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    bonoeuf wrote: »
    Being born in the mid fifties I have seen the changes in diet advice.

<snip>

Whatever you find works for you is your system and if you can maintain your weight without extremes and feel happy; stick to it. Relying on exercise in my opinion is a very bad thing as if injured your intake is too high and harder to adjust down.

Great post, @boneuf; I too am a mid-late 50's 'child'. I am also Italian, and a trained cook (I won't say 'Chef' as I have never run, supervised or worked in a 'Professional' kitchen) and I was manager of an Italian Deli-cum-bistro for 5 years.
    My problem regarding exercise, is that, due to a spinal injury 15 years ago, I have lost partial use of my lower left leg; the sciatic nerve is partly damaged and compromises my movement, which means a lot of sports or exercise is limited, as I can't support my weight on my leg sufficiently to walk, run, jog or do aerobics. A lot of exercise types are closed to me. I can swim, but again, my right leg does most of the work. I can cycle, but I feel a little insecure knowing that if I need to stop suddenly, putting my leg down to maintain balance is going to be risky, be it the left or right....

If anyone can suggest something at this point, I'd welcome input on that score, too!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    This diet may be great for people who are obese and suffer from diabetes, but the reality is that people basically got overweight for one main reason................over consumption. Stands to logic that if they REDUCE the amount they eat, they will lose weight. And that's where calorie counting comes in.
    What you're stating here ISN'T new. There are threads upon threads advocating for a high fat, low carb diet. But what it comes down to in the end is "IS IT SOMETHING I CAN DO FOR LIFE?" cause if it's not, then weight regain is likely to happen.
    People will choose what they can stick too. There are lots of people here who've lost weight eating moderate amounts of carbs
    and look fabulous.

I believe I did say as much in my initial post, too....