Dealing with sabotage attempts

Options
IWearDaCrown
IWearDaCrown Posts: 15 Member
edited March 2017 in Motivation and Support
Ok, ultimately what we decided to eat and not to eat is in our own control. But since I have been on this weight loss journey (18 lbs down in two months) , I notice there is a constant attempt by people I have told about my efforts to purposely sabotage my progress. Simply offering junk food to offer is one thing. But deliberately sitting a box of cookies in front of someone you know is trying to lose weight and saying "a few won't hurt" , is crazy ... (which is exactly) what my supervisor and even some associates/friends have been trying to do with me.
What is with this mentality and how do you tactfully handle people who make this behavior a habit? What has been your experience?

Replies

• BeChill73
    BeChill73 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Tactfully?

Say "No, thank you" and walk away.

This.
  • fitflashy
    fitflashy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there I know how you feel, my mom brought shipleys donuts the other day for the kids and I told her I would rather her not bring them. I try not to have thosebthings around since I know it is temptation for me. I am on ketogentic diet and even though my cravings are so suppressed its still hard. Hang in there you got this. When I am tempted i ask my self what is more important to me and keep going. Hey can you add me as a friend on here. Lets help each other!
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You know, it's hugely satisfying to sabotage their sabotage by smiling and walking away or moving the food elsewhere. You have the upper hand. Can't control the others. (Seriously, what jerk moves.) Stay strong!
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    Well, you could either politely say 'no thank you' and push them away, or you can be more vocal about it.

Next time they push food at you, just say... I am working really hard at getting my eating under control. When you do this, it's like offering a recovering alcoholic a drink. Please help me by refraining from doing that.

Or, you can look at your food and exercise for the day and see if you have room for the one cookie. Have one and pass them on to the next guy.

Thing is... I honestly don't believe they're intentionally trying to make you fat or sabotage you. I really don't think it's intentional or malicious behavior. So either educate them, ignore them, or join them from time to time.

• futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You can do this...I'm sorry that you've got folks who don't understand what you're going through and trying to achieve all around you. I think just saying, "Thanks, but I don't care for any," is a good way to go. If they persist, change the subject to, "So, how are you doing? Anything good going on for the weekend?" and when they leave your workspace, remind them, "Hey, you forgot your cookies! Don't forget to take them with you..."
    Also, this is going to sound weird, but I tell myself on the regular that the things that are trigger foods for me (Skittles, Grippo BBQ chips, alcohol, LemonHeads) aren't really food and that I don't need them or like them. For some reason, it's helping. If you need a new friend, I'm here!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You are 100% right in this! I mean yeah, we *should* all have absolutely perfect self control at all times always (according to some) but really we ARE human aren't we? We don't do that to recovering alcoholics or drug addicts do we? NO! Because we know they can't help themselves. I firmly believe certain foods are and addiction for some people. People who have never had to battle themselves to keep from eating an entire box of chocolates has not one tiny clue how it feels to have it waved in front of their nose like that. Next time they do something like that and say, "A few won't hurt." Say, "Yes it will!" and toss the box in the garbage. They will think twice before shoving it in your face again.

Did I mention I am not always good with tact? I mean I try but once someone tries me enough or I have told them kindly enough and they keep pushing I no longer feel that I owe them that courtesy.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Stop telling people your business. If you say nothing about it, no one will even think about it. They'll be too busy worrying about their own problems or meddling in someone else's business. When you make something public, people think they have free reign to participate in it. Ignore those fools and do your thing. B)

So what happens when people say, "Have you lost weight?" Should one say, "I am not discussing that with anyone ever." People will notice eventually. Also no one should have to avoid talking with people they do trust because someone else may hear it and act like a *unicorn* who needs a foot in the *rainbow*.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I work the front desk and people are always leaving cookies, doughnuts etc....at my desk. They have this idea that others will see the treats and take. A polite "no thank you" should work but I can't be bothered to answer all the questions that follow: Why not, what do you need to lose weight for, what kind of diet are you on etc... What I like to do is place the "goodies" in the kitchen, out of sight out of mind. For those I like to consider bullies, who keep nudging you, continue to say "no thank you". Be strong, you got this and you have a whole community to support you!
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I usually say I don't like whatever it is they're offering. It's much harder for someone to try to convince you to eat something you don't like as opposed to something you say you don't want.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If they didn't ask they would be considered rude, but then they do ask and you think they are sabotaging you. Just say no thanks and move on. Eventually they will stop asking (at least that's what my office does since they know I don't order out anymore).
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I had same problem. My secretary, bless her heart, felt I was too skinny and so every time my division had a cake, or donuts, or a potluck in one of the branches she would go there and make me a huge plate and set it on my desk. I had asked her not to because I can't eat a lot of things..but she honestly thought I needed taken care of? Like she was my mum or something. I kid you not...these were multiple offices, hundreds of people I supervised so this was every other day I'd come back from a meeting and find some junk food on my desk. I couldn't toss it in my trash can because she'd see it wasn't even nibbled on and be hurt. So I took to sneaking out to a bathroom and stuffing it under paper towels in the bin there. Or I'd pop it in the fridge and tell her I was saving it as I was working late and when she'd go home, I'd toss it in a random bin on my way out the door. I thought the whole thing was kind of hilarious....kind of a who's really in charge here? Sort of thing.