Early birds and morning workouts...need advice!

Options
tashjs21
tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
Good Morning! kaffesmile.gif

So here is my dilemma. There is no way I can work out in the evening. I get off work at 5pm. I used to go straight from work and the fiance would pick up the baby. Problem is, now that she is soley on solid foods, she is hungry pretty much as soon as we get home. So I have been coming home and starting dinner immediately. (fiance likes this too because he is usually hungry right after work too and doesn't have to wait for dinner anymore. :tongue:)

I have thought about going at 8:30pm after we put the baby to bed but by then I don't feel like moving and I am afraid the workout will amp me up (which it usually does) and I won't be able to get to sleep.

Soooo, my new plan is to wake up at 5 and go to the gym, come home and get ready for work while everyone is still asleep. However, I am NOT a morning person whatsoever. tantrum.gif

Any advice or words of encouragement for early morning workouts for a non-morning person? fingersx.gif

Replies

• FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Stick it out for the first 2 weeks and then it will get easier. Promise.
  • tireetje
    tireetje Posts: 49
    Options
    I have the same problem. working atm from 8.30 till 6.30 everyday. So dont have the time (or energy) to work out.
    My job is also a desk job... so although im eating incredibly healthy and losing some weight, its no where near fast!
    Help please too? x
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    I don't have any fancy words of encouragement for you. It's tough...but if it is what you have to do to make yourself feel better then you just have to do it. After a few days or maybe a week or so it will just become part of your regular day and it won't be so rough. Good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    can your fiancee not make the dinners as well>? maybe alternate days so you have a chance to get some exercise in.

why dont u start on 30day shred as thats only 20 mins and its a great workout so you can surely find 20 mins to cram it in, i always find i sleep much better after a good workout and a hot shower.

Its all about changing your mind frame and if you really are determined then you will find the time. im sure looking after an infant is a great workout on its own!! x
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Been doing the morning thing for 2 months... I am not a morning person! I just force myself to do it. (I have to run, can't afford the gym) Once I get out there and actually make myself... I feel soooo much better during the day and have more energy to do the family thing/dinner in the evenings. Instead of talking myself out of it, I started learning how to talk myself into it... :)

Good Luck and happy working out!
    D
  • Eats_With_A_Fist
    Options
    After a while you'll adjust to it. When you get to that point, you won't feel right if you don't get your morning burn in!
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Neither was I, but you get used to it. A lot of people don't condone coffee before working out (I drink 4oz. of coffee, with my 20oz. water bottle first thing in the am). It wakes me right up, and I'm good for the day on just a small cup of coffee. I think AM workouts are the best. You'll feel like death at first, but your body will get used to it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Have everything ready to go the night before, get straight into your gym gear when you wake up, and your body will be out the door before your brain has had time to go "You're doing what now????"
  • DaniiWanii
    DaniiWanii Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    JUST DO IT!

Seriously I started off exactly like you. You will go out with your eyes basically closed but once you start you will realise how fricken amaaazing it is!
    Just push yourself and you can do it just find... really good luck. Morning runs are heaven! :)
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person either. But I have to alarms set within 5 mintues apart, one is close to the bed, but the other one I have to get up for. For me once I am out of bed i up. I also sleep in the clothes I am going to workout in.
  • DallasLeann
    Options
    I go to the gym at 5am, workout, shower there and then head to work. I would go home to shower if it was on the way, but it is not. I am not a morning person at all, but like you it is the only time I can consistently get to the gym. You just have to make up your mind that you are going in the morning. If you wait until the alarm goes off to decide, you will never go. It is always much better once I am there.
  • jenkins1103
    jenkins1103 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I want to start working out in the morning too...I am interested in what everyone has to say..
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I try to drag my butt out of bed at 4 to get a really good hour work out or so in before I have to make lunches and find clothes and start getting ready for work. I usually DO NOT accomplish this and I am up at 5 to get a workout in and get done what I need to get done. You just have to be motivated to get it done and not want to sit around and try to wake up first.... So no mater what time I get up (Unless it is really late) I get started right away with my work out. That wakes me up and gets me pumped to start my day. :)
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Push through it for a couple of weeks and it will come naturally. I also wake up and work out in the AM but it's usually around 7. The one thing that helps me is to not think about it. If I get up and dwell on working out, I will try to talk myself out of it. Instead, I get up, put my workout clothes on and start without thinking. You could also try to sleep in your workout clothes, this way you won't have an excuse, you're already dressed and ready to go :) Good luck!
  • angb_girl
    angb_girl Posts: 6
    Options
    Two reasons I decided to work out in the morning.
    1. It doesn't take any extra time away from my family. I have a 2 year-old and a 4 year-old who I love dearly. Since I work full-time I only get about 3 hours with them in the evening and I'm not willing to sacrifice that for anything (even something as worthy as setting a good example for them and living longer).
    2. When I get up at 5:30 to work out, I'm less likely later in the day to make bad food choices. I'm all, "I did NOT get up at bloody 5:30 this morning for nothing," whereas if I'm planning to work out in the evening, I might say, "Weeeellllll, I can have ONE cookie since I'm gonna work out tonight.

Now in the morning when the damn alarm goes off I think, "If I don't get up and workout I'm only cheating myself." And that usually does it. A little cold water on my face and a tooth-brushing gets me going. Then I'm fired-up for the rest of the day from the work out.

I was never a morning person, either, but you know... there's a LOT of beauty to witness by yourself in the morning.

I hope this helps. :)
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person at all either...I do however get up at 6 am, have a cup of coffee and head out the door at about 6:40 for a 2.5 mile power walk with a friend of mine..after that, I will either hit the gym or practice my nights Zumba routines or both...
    The thing is, there isn't any one thing that makes you get up and do it in the mornings except complete WILL POWER...Just that fact that you kNOW you NEED to exercise to stay healthy/lose weight or whatever it might be that you need for YOU.

That's all I can give you...Because it ultimately comes down to you and how badly YOU want to get out there and feel good...

Remember: It takes 21 days to make a habit; 14 days to break a habit.

So once you have that habit going, you'll be up and going.

I can't say it's easy because there are some days I'd rather sleep in, but I MAKE myself just go!
  • brian90
    brian90 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    it will be hard. you cant just lay there. Just jump up as soon as you wake up. Once you start your workout, youl be into it. You will feel so much better once its done.
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    i get up at 6 to do 25mins of 30 day shred.
    my alarm goes off - i think 'hmmm i could just lay here' then i lay there for a couple of mins and know that ill feel better about myslef if i just get up
    so up i spring
    its hard work - but once im done i feel good - and feel all energises for the day
    it tales 4 weeks to make a habit and 4 weeks to break a habit
    so stick to it!!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person, either, but you can do it. Know it'll suck the first week or so of getting up early, but it gets easier.

I've come to enjoy morning workouts because they really wake me up and give me energy throughout the day. They totally help with my mood, too. It's great in the evening to know I'm already done with my workout and don't have to schedule it in. I can relax in the evenings.
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I can only face working out in a morning as after work I am wiped and just want to go home and hug the couch.

It's all about the willpower, even I lie in bed some mornings and think 'I'll stay in bed today and workout tomorrow'. The trick is to force yourself up, once you're up and dressed you'll feel like there's no going back.

Also, once you start morning gym workouts you'll find there's a hardcore group of morning workout people at your gym, you'll get to know each other and then the early hours won't feel so antisocial!