Looking for clarification on eating back exercise calories

Options
Arefs11
Arefs11 Posts: 2 Member
Hi all! Long time user of MFP but I don't think I've ever made a post before. I just wanted to get some clarification on the exercise calories that I log.

My goal in MFP is to lose 2 lbs per week. MFP tells me I should be eating 1500 calories per day to achieve this goal. When I work out I burn about 250 calories per day so MFP allows me to eat 1750 calories. If I do eat all 1750 calories (some days I do some days I don't) am I still on track to lose 2 lbs per week? Is it healthy/safe to not eat back those calories if I'm not hungry? I just want to be sure I'm not making my workout pointless on days when I do eat the 1750 calories.

Thanks!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP is designed so your calorie goal for the day already includes the deficit needed to reach your weight loss goals. Therefore, additional logged exercise calories are supposed to mostly be eaten back to avoid overly large deficits that can compromise your getting enough nutrition. That being said, depending on how you estimate your burns you can chose to eat some or all of the calories. The MFP exercise database and alot of gym machines tend to overestimate burns so many people chose to only eat half the calories back for those. If you have a more reliable way you are estimating the burns eating them all is fine too.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's a life lesson principle many people have to learn.

You eat appropriate to your level of activity.
    You do more you eat more.
    You do less you eat less.

To lose weight you eat a reasonable amount below those 2 options.
    To gain weight - well, hopefully you get the idea.

If you want your workouts to actually be good workouts (meaning to transform the body) - then you give your body enough nutritious food to help recover with and provide the means to have one.
    Give your body minimum - expect minimum results from your hard work, which eventually won't be hard no matter how it feels, even if it is sucking up your time.

A body with a good workout will know what to do with extra calories.
  • HappyBlues
    HappyBlues Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Here is a MFP blog by a dietitian I found that helped me figure out what I felt was best for me and my approach. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-should-i-eat-back-my-exercise-calories/
  • Arefs11
    Arefs11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments! The blog post was especially helpful