Fitbit synced to mfp calories with weight loss

Options
gataman3000
gataman3000 Posts: 55 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
cf2x4d3fyeu2.png
o3w4uyopt74a.png
Has anyone eaten back all their exercise calories and still lost weight? I'm sorry if this is redundant

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Yes. Most of my "exercise calories" from FitBit are from walking and general daily activity though. I don't do a lot of intense cardio.
  • gataman3000
    Options
    @SusanMFindlay can you look at my screenshots, should I stick to the script?
  • steffie140
    steffie140 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose then you need to create a deficite between calories in and calories out so you should not eat back all of your exercise calories earned.
  • SusanMFindlay
    Options
    What's your weight loss goal? If it's conservative (i.e. 1 pound/week or less), you're likely fine to be a bit "in the green" at the end of the day - especially if it's normal for you to get nearly 2000 "physical activity" calories. People who are really active can handle slightly higher deficits because they'll easily get basic nutrition from eating a decent amount. I don't personally have experience with that sort of FitBit adjustment. If I was set to sedentary, mine would be more like ~1,000. (I'm set to active, so they're usually 400ish.)

Also, how long have you been using the FitBit? The heartrate monitor ones can take a week or two to "get to know you" and give accurate numbers.
  • SusanMFindlay
    edited March 2017
    Options
    steffie140 wrote: »
    If you are trying to lose then you need to create a deficite between calories in and calories out so you should not eat back all of your exercise calories earned.

His baseline calorie goal is 1560. His deficit is built into that. No way is he maintaining on 1560 (even if sedentary).

Edited to note that FitBit reports burn of 4500 (which seems really high, but could be valid depending on height/weight and what was done). Calorie goal appears to be 3500ish when adjustment of ~2000 is added to base goal of 1560. That looks like a 1000 calorie deficit aiming for 2 pounds/week. If the OP is at a healthy weight already, that's way too much. If in the obese range, it's reasonable. If overweight, it's too high *unless* this activity level is normal. If this is a normal activity level, it'll be an okay starting point for data gathering.

Watch what happens with the scale. If you're losing too fast, eat more (to shrink the deficit). If you're losing too slow, eat less (to increase the deficit). Make sure your weight loss goal is reasonable for your size.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Curious what you did to get the 4500 daily burn with only 12K steps?

If that 4500 is good estimate, then ditto to following the script - once outside the first couple weeks of learning.

Do you really recall about 3 hrs of pretty active time during the day?

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    steffie140 wrote: »

He burned 4500.
    He ate 3100.

Guess what happened. Even if he ate 400 more as suggested.
  • gataman3000
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm 6"0 240, I'm in the obese range for the bmi chart but I have a good amount of muscle, I'm hoping to lose 40 pounds and my waist is a 36/38. I've had the charge hr 2 since maybe a month after it was released, that's a day of me up at 8am in the bed at 12pm with a fair amount of walking. To me it seems high, I don't feel stuffed I feel close to full most of the day but so much food makes me nervous, I was curious to if anyone has had experience eating all their exercise calories back and still losing weight.
  • AMinwonderland
    AMinwonderland Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to eat back all of my calories with my Zip, but when I got a Charge2 I noticed it gave me a lot more calories back compared to the Zip. I presume it was taking HR into consideration thus relating in a higher calorie burn reported compared to my old Zip that does not track HR. This seriously messed with me and I gained weight eating back the calories the CH2 gave me. I ended up adjusting my goal to 2lbs/wk, from 1/wk to make an adjustment (reducing base calorie allotment) to try and compensate, even though my mental target is still 1/wk loss.

Everyone says to eat back half, but I soooo wish there was a setting where you could tell it to only permit 50% or any other percentage of exercise calories earned to be granted/displayed. I want to be rewarded with extra calories for working out and it worked for me for about a year with the Zip. Now I feel like I have to do this math dance to try and figure out either what I can eat back and still lose weight or divide the calories earned in half and figure out how many I have left, every time I open MFP with the higher calories that the CH2 grants.

My advice is to see how you do for a few weeks to see what works for you. If your losing, great! If not well then time to do some math dancing.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I found when I first started using my Garmin tracker that the calorie burns seemed very high compared to what I was previously logging for exercise. I tinkered with my MFP settings a bit to get it to account right and I'm still losing weight eating the exercise calories.

If you're walking around 12000 steps on a normal day, I would try setting your activity level in MFP as lightly active or active (sounds like you may have it set to Sedentary possibly?) and allowing negative adjustments . This would give you a slightly higher calorie goal but the calorie burn adjustment in MFP when they sync is not so wildly high.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    burn seems...way to high...When i walk 20k+ steps i burn 1000 tops even at my job which is a mover i heavy lift and squat like crazy +1.5 hours walk to get there and home + all the stairs i climb carrying heavy things.

God i wish i was a man sometimes.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The burn seems very high though but that also depends on what height /weight you are .

(I'm 5ft 2 /128lbs and at maintenance and Fitbit gives me 1900 cals/ TDEE for 12k steps boohoo :/ )

Trackers are usually not far away I've found, so simply eat at calorie deficit of those numbers and you will lose.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Hi, MFP gives you a calorie number which will help you lose weight without adding in exercise. However, since you're working out you can eat back your workout calories, but most people on the forum often mention to eat back at last half of the extra calories to help with overestimation that often occurs for burn.

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    I'm 6"0 240, I'm in the obese range for the bmi chart but I have a good amount of muscle, I'm hoping to lose 40 pounds and my waist is a 36/38. I've had the charge hr 2 since maybe a month after it was released, that's a day of me up at 8am in the bed at 12pm with a fair amount of walking. To me it seems high, I don't feel stuffed I feel close to full most of the day but so much food makes me nervous, I was curious to if anyone has had experience eating all their exercise calories back and still losing weight.

At 6' and 240, your maintenance cals AT sedentary are probably way higher than 1560. You probably have your settings at sedentary and lose 2 pounds. But really you're NOT sedentary. Not at 12k steps.

If you have your mfp and Fitbit set to lose 2lbs a week, then I'd track according to what they tell you. I have been doing that and I'm losing right according to schedule.

I often leave a couple hundred cals behind - but that's so I can have the odd junk food day and not worry that I've undone all my progress.

Question... Are you losing any weight? If not... Then leave a bit more behind. If so, then carry on.
  • Jabbarwocky
    Jabbarwocky Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Also, how long have you been using the FitBit? The heartrate monitor ones can take a week or two to "get to know you" and give accurate numbers.

Thanks for this! Just got my Fitbit Charge 2 on Sunday and was wondering how accurate it was. Last night, before dinner, MFP told me I had 1400 calories including workout calories while the Fitbit said I had around 3200. I will ignore this on the Fitbit for a while.

I'm currently eating back approximately 3/4 of my exercise calories and losing at a rate of about 1.5 per week. Granted, I've just restarted this journey as of late January so may still be losing some water weight as I never had the quick initial drop so many speak of.
  • gataman3000
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have it set to sedentary, from a bmi standpoint I am considered obese but I realized some people follow exactly what fitbit says and still lose weight. I think you're right I need to be patient and moniter it for a few weeks and see where I am, its too early to tell. I guess it seems to be correct after thinking about it. Some of you I'm 2 times your size so I can see being allocated 2 times the amount of calories.
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and also about 240 pounds.
    For 12000 steps my fitbit charge HR usually gives me 2000 cals.
    But then again, I am a woman, so it would be lower.
    And exercise calories escalates after the first 5000 steps.
    But I wouldn't eat back calories burned.
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    And 14 flights of stairs probably also contributed to that high calorie burn as it takes into account your heart rate
  • gataman3000
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @catharinamkotze that's true, sounds about the same as mine without factoring in heart rate.