Desk job

Options
Hello! my name is Alexis, I am new to dieting and exercising and have a few questions..
1. I work in an office and am at a desk all day... will dieting still help with the weight loss?
2. Is anyone on here following a low carb diet?
Thank you!!!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    1. To lose weight all you need is a calorie deficit. You don't need to exercise to lose. Just make sure you are sticking to your calorie allotment, weigh your food and use correct entries.

2. There are plenty of low carbers here. There is also a group for low carb/keto that you may want to search out.
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just started dieting about 2 months ago, and I also sit at a desk from 8-5. Dieting will still help if you pay attention to your calorie intake throughout the day and watch what you are eating. I try to take a short walk about once an hour so I am not sedentary for 9 hours a day. Try to exercise as well; I normally get up around 5:30 every morning to exercise. Helps get the day started, gives me energy for the day as well as help with fitness goals
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yes, and yes.
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am in an office all day too. I have lost nearly 20 lbs so far just by watching my calories. I am trying to work in some more exercise but I am still losing without it.
  • Zinnphotography0
    Zinnphotography0 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work at a desk job too from 8-4. I've tried integrating some exercise that I can do while I'm at my desk if I can't get up. If I can get up,when things around here are slow, then I try to walk around the garage during my lunch break.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Yes, as others have said - eat at a deficit. Invest in a food scale and weigh your food to insure that your portions are accurate. I also have had a desk job for the past 20 years (man, I'm old). My other suggestion would be - do some research, talk to people, google a lot of different exercises, there is so much out there that you may find an activity you love. I have done low carb before, it wasn't for me, not something I could practice long term. I eat carbs, mostly from whole grains, brown rice, fruits, veggies and more. Do the best you can and find what works for you. Good luck
  • stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I try to get up from my desk as often as possible. Some days it's very difficult. When I've had a day when I was just about glued to my chair, I try to take a walk at lunch or after work (even a short one helps). Moving as much as possible is healthier overall, not just about the weight loss.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too. You can lose weight just by being at a deficit but MFP might put your calories at 1200 if you pick that you are are not active. I exercise so I can eat a little more but it really is calories in versus calories out.
  • n0ty0urpr1ze
    n0ty0urpr1ze Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I sit on my butt all day here at the office! I usually try to walk on both of my 15 minute breaks and during my lunch. Thankfully I work in a business mall so there's somewhere to walk. I also try to go to the gym ~5 days a week. @ 1200 calories/day I've lost 9lbs in 2 weeks. Hope this helps ! xo
  • hilhilbean
    hilhilbean Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job, too. I work out as soon as I get home and I set an alarm on Fitbit to alert me once every hour so that I just get up and take a walk around the office. Much better than sitting on my butt for eight hours and never moving! :)
  • Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    impressive...20LBs!

I am in an office all day too. I have lost nearly 20 lbs so far just by watching my calories. I am trying to work in some more exercise but I am still losing without it.

• Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I too am sitting at a desk for much of the day. I workout at least five days a week, but without monitoring my carb intake it would all be for naught.