Low Carb

Options
I need to drop 50 lbs by the 1st of September. Thinking of going low carb as it seems to be a quick start. Who do others think of this strategy?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    When you reduce carb intake, you'll lose a bit extra water weight initially, and that can 1) fool you into thinking that what you're doing is working even if it really isn't, and 2) be disappointed when your loss stabilizes at a normal rate. The lower carb you go, the more dramatic this effect will be.

Low carb can be good for you if you like and are satiated by low carb, high fat meals. If you don't, it will be a bad choice for you.

A calorie deficit will most likely mean a reduction in carb intake, and thus moderate low carb by default.

A consistent calorie deficit is what you need to lose weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Whatever food choice you go with, you need a deficit. Personally, cycle between low carb and high carb days. On my low carb days, I struggle with satiety a bit but that is largely because carbs (especially starches) fill me up. The question you have to ask yourself, does protein/fats fill you up and can you sustain this?

If anything, start by scaling back on carbs and increasing fats to see how you respond. If you notice that these foods satiate yourself, than you can cut carbs more and increase fats as well.
  • charlenekemp07
    charlenekemp07 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did the lchf diet and it worked amazing for me, but be warned...once you're on, you can't go off, because a little cheat will make you pick up the weight again. If you go off or do something else, you will pick up all the weight again and more! Ask me, I know. I struggled for months to get the weight off and gained it all back in 2 months, just because of a few cheats
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I did the lchf diet and it worked amazing for me, but be warned...once you're on, you can't go off, because a little cheat will make you pick up the weight again. If you go off or do something else, you will pick up all the weight again and more! Ask me, I know. I struggled for months to get the weight off and gained it all back in 2 months, just because of a few cheats

You're describing water weight fluctuations, not fat loss/gain.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is set up lifelong sustainable habits. I tried low carb before, and i have seen many others try it. It is most often a temporary diet. For the long term, i just don't believe it's sustainable.

We have a sweet tooth for a reason. Our brains and muscles both run off glucose, and the foods most commonly known to be good for our health, fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes, are all far from low carb.

I know everyone is different, but i have found that, personally, i do better with plenty of lower glycemic plants. Things like berries, cucumbers, salad greens, melons, beans, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc. It's very easy to eat a deficit, which is required for weight loss, because these foods are fulfilling. Hope that helps.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Can you continue that way of eating for the rest of your life? If yes, go for it. If no, figure out something else you can do forever.

I personally cannot eat low carb. I get super crabby and I want to stay married. ;) Eating within my calorie allowance and aiming to hit my daily macros works best for me.

Ultimately, you have to find the way that works for YOU. None of us have that specific answer. We can tell you what works for us.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you do decide to go low carb, you might want to join: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb. I know this is a lifestyle, not a temporary "diet". My reason for eating low carb, while prompted initially by weight concerns, are also related to insulin resistance and pre-diabetic conditions. I second the advice that you should examine your reasons for wanting to go low carb and decide if it is something you want to do for the long haul. If so, psuLemon provided you with an excellent link.
  • jenbeck18
    jenbeck18 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do low carb and two times a week I eat a high carb meal. It has worked for me well, 5 pounds down two weeks.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    instead of trying to lose weight for a certain date, make the necessary changes now to have long lasting weight loss success. why do you need to lose 50 pounds by September 1st? That is roughly two pounds a week which you can accomplish with a calorie deficit and exercise regimen...
  • sequimtrim
    sequimtrim Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If there is anyone who does low carb and low animal, I'd like to friend you. Last time I tried it, I jokingly called it the eggs and bacon diet.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    sequimtrim wrote: »
    If there is anyone who does low carb and low animal, I'd like to friend you. Last time I tried it, I jokingly called it the eggs and bacon diet.

I wish I knew how to do that. As it is, I do not eat pork (not quite Kosher, but similar). I do eat a few servings per day of eggs or meat and dairy, along with leafy green and other low glycemic index veg, nuts, etc. I think it must be possible as there are veggies that have lots of fat and protein . . . .
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    OP what's so special about September 1st?