Carbs versus Fats. This site needs to update its recommendations.

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    bonoeuf wrote: »
    Being born in the mid fifties I have seen the changes in diet advice.

<snip>

Whatever you find works for you is your system and if you can maintain your weight without extremes and feel happy; stick to it. Relying on exercise in my opinion is a very bad thing as if injured your intake is too high and harder to adjust down.

Great post, @boneuf; I too am a mid-late 50's 'child'. I am also Italian, and a trained cook (I won't say 'Chef' as I have never run, supervised or worked in a 'Professional' kitchen) and I was manager of an Italian Deli-cum-bistro for 5 years.
    My problem regarding exercise, is that, due to a spinal injury 15 years ago, I have lost partial use of my lower left leg; the sciatic nerve is partly damaged and compromises my movement, which means a lot of sports or exercise is limited, as I can't support my weight on my leg sufficiently to walk, run, jog or do aerobics. A lot of exercise types are closed to me. I can swim, but again, my right leg does most of the work. I can cycle, but I feel a little insecure knowing that if I need to stop suddenly, putting my leg down to maintain balance is going to be risky, be it the left or right....

If anyone can suggest something at this point, I'd welcome input on that score, too!

Have you looked into recumbent cycles? They make them for outdoor use and that would take care of balance issues ...
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Oh noes...devil carbs!!!!

oh_noes.gif~c200

Never mind that blue zone regions of the world have carb heavy diets...healthiest populations in the world...

And the 'carb-heavy diets' are... where, exactly?
    Family – put ahead of other concerns
    Less smoking
    Semi-vegetarianism – except for the Sardinian diet, the majority of food consumed is derived from plants
    Constant moderate physical activity – an inseparable part of life
    Social engagement – people of all ages are socially active and integrated into their communities
    Legumes – commonly consumed
    Buettner in his book provide a list of nine lessons, covering the lifestyle of blue zones people:[11]

Moderate, regular physical activity.
    Life purpose.
    Stress reduction.
    Moderate calories intake.
    Plant-based diet.
    Moderate alcohol intake, especially wine.
    Engagement in spirituality or religion.
    Engagement in family life.
    Engagement in social life.

From here:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    bonoeuf wrote: »
    Relying on exercise in my opinion is a very bad thing as if injured your intake is too high and harder to adjust down.

People love to say this, and it makes a bit of sense at first blush. But in reality, it doesn't work like you'd think. For example, I was hit by a car while doing hill repeats on my bike. Wasn't able to walk for a couple of weeks without pain. Wasn't able to do any real exercise for a few months. My appetite shrank tremendously, probably because I suddenly wasn't burning so many calories, and didn't need to eat as many as a result. I kept losing weight through this sad period.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It is true that we don't actually need carbs (the body makes is own sugar from fat and protein), but as you say, carbs are found in a lot of foods that provide nutrients we do need, and those foods tend to be delicious, and people tend to like delicious food.

My point is that Fat per se isn't bad for you, but most dietary recommendations are that you cut it out or restrict intake, to specific fats (such as oils found in flax, olives, avocados and fish). Fats don't need to be reduced or eliminated. It's a globally-accepted premise, due to much influence from the 'wrong' quarters, but it;s a trend that seriously needs reversing.
    And it's nothing new, either. But the voices that have needed to be heard, are only just being heard, now.

So interesting to be discussing this with you!

There absolutely was a low fat craze (1980's). But that is old fashioned thinking. I really don't believe most people think that way now.

The low carb brigade has been pretty vocal for decades; true it's on again/off again but it's been around since the 1970's.

I'm not low carb because I know (from experience) that's not how I will maintain.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have familial hypercholesterlemia. There is no debate to be had for me.

Fortunately, I can set my own macros here and have.

I follow a low fat plan, keep an eye on a protein goal (I aim to eat at least 100 grams per day) and fill in the rest with carbohydrates. I also, thanks to being able to customize what I see, follow my intake of saturated fat and be sure to keep this low.

Thanks to my diet, weight loss, and exercise, I have lowered my cholesterol to within regular range and I have good ratios. I do not need statins. I am very fortunate. A lot of people with FH are unable to do this. It helps that I've only inherited the gene from one parent.

ETA: On the heels of what psuLemon said, fats are not satiating for me. Protein and fiber and starch? Those three are my love language.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Half the links in the first post only mention an insulin response with carbs and sugars.

Yet they were supposedly written by Doctors who should be smart enough to realise that your insulin spikes with proteins also.
    Makes me not read any thing else they say.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Current global research confirms that advice given by Government Health Bodies everywhere, is in serious need of review.
    It now seems that Carbohydrates are the culprits, while Fats are the friends.

How do other folks on here feel about this?

Carbohydrates are the culprits for what, and fats are the friends to whom?

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Current global research confirms that advice given by Government Health Bodies everywhere, is in serious need of review.

The articles outline this.
    Really interesting to see all the responses here, I must take a moment to thank you all for being so civil.
    I posted a discussion on this subject in another (non-food-based) forum and I can't repeat some of the responses I got. Really.
    I have no idea where people get off being so rude....
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Interestingly, there are cultures that thrive on both.

My point being that contrary to what some might like to think (not you, WinoGelato), I don't think that there's 100% definitive answer to this debate.

I have seen reference made to some preliminary research pointing to there being a genetic factor behind which macro distribution best suits a certain individual.

We can only hope that more study is done to hone in on such a finding and put discussions like this to bed for once and for all. I've grown weary of the need for there to be a "winner" in these types of discussions. I know a lot of us have.

OP, you've found out how to set a macro distribution to suit your preferences. I wish you the best with your efforts.
  • Drueru
    Drueru Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This site does need to update it's recommendations. I would love to be able to tweak my protein, carb and fat levels but there isn't an option (that I know of) to do so.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Drueru wrote: »
    This site does need to update it's recommendations. I would love to be able to tweak my protein, carb and fat levels but there isn't an option (that I know of) to do so.

6th post in this thread guides you through this.