Drinking alcohol in moderation

Options
Can drinking alcohol occasionally sepress your weight loss?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I found the munchies I got after drinking alcohol significantly hampered my progress. However, if the alcohol fits within your daily calorie allotment and doesn't cause you to go over, then no, it won't suppress your weight loss.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's calories like any thing else.

The only difference is that you don't metabolise it so it becomes your first used fuel source.

I save calories through the week to allow me to have a drink at the weekends.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Occasionally 1-2 drinks that fit your calorie allotment - probably not. Occasionally binging - yes.
  • bri_fitnessjourney
    bri_fitnessjourney Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post! I wasnt for sure if it would cause my metabolism to be slower. Which it is slow right now lol
    I found the munchies I got after drinking alcohol significantly hampered my progress. However, if the alcohol fits within your daily calorie allotment and doesn't cause you to go over, then no, it won't suppress your weight loss.

• Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have wine several times a week and it's not a problem, I just make sure it fits in my calories. Wine is also lower in calories than some alcohol choices (like margaritas and other fruity sugary drinks that I love), so it could be worse, I guess.
  • schughes48
    schughes48 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I make sure I am under my calorie intake, just so I can have alcohol.
  • bri_fitnessjourney
    Options
    Alassonde wrote: »
    I have wine several times a week and it's not a problem, I just make sure it fits in my calories. Wine is also lower in calories than some alcohol choices (like margaritas and other fruity sugary drinks that I love), so it could be worse, I guess.

Okay thank you so much for your comment! Very new to this whole weight loss thing. Trying to really hit my goal weight before summer. Im on a 1200 cal base.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

This. Margaritas are the worst, but so yummy.
  • quiksylver296
    edited March 2017
    Options

This. Margaritas are the worst best, but and so yummy.

FTFY
  • quiksylver296
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I feel like I should add that I have pretty much cut alcohol completely out of my diet, currently (due to the munchie issue mentioned above). I've had two margaritas this year, and that was in celebration of my first powerlifting competition a couple of weeks ago.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    For me if affects performance and fatigue, but doesn't hurt my weight loss if I'm within calorie goals
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    During my weight loss I would save up during the week and have a bottle of wine every Friday (usually with pizza :)). Yes, the whole bottle, and usually a glass or two Sat/Sun. Never stopped me from consistently losing a pound a week.

The last few weeks have been the same. I even lost about half a pound week before last and I was at an all inclusive resort in Mexico, drinking for at least 5 drinks every single day.

It's more than possible... just fit it in. Note that alcohol is certainly less filling than other calories, so you do have to work for it (exercise). Since I also have exercise related goals, thats no problem at all.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I have never stopped moderate drinking and lost ~60 bls over a year. I just plan ahead and ensure I can fit a drink within my budget.

To dispel a myth - Your metabolism doesn't change all that much. Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is pretty constant, the primary driver being lean muscle mass. The real drive on the output side of the CICO equation is Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), which are all the calories burned during your activities throughout the day.
  • bri_fitnessjourney
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    During my weight loss I would save up during the week and have a bottle of wine every Friday (usually with pizza :)). Yes, the whole bottle, and usually a glass or two Sat/Sun. Never stopped me from consistently losing a pound a week.

The last few weeks have been the same. I even lost about half a pound week before last and I was at an all inclusive resort in Mexico, drinking for at least 5 drinks every single day.

It's more than possible... just fit it in. Note that alcohol is certainly less filling than other calories, so you do have to work for it (exercise). Since I also have exercise related goals, thats no problem at all.

Thank you! How do you save calories? By not ending your full calorie for the week?
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    bmraynor92 wrote: »

Thank you! How do you save calories? By not ending your full calorie for the week?

By eating under your daily goal by a small amount, say 100 calories per day. Then you have an extra 700 calories to splurge with.
  • bri_fitnessjourney
    Options

By eating under your daily goal by a small amount, say 100 calories per day. Then you have an extra 700 calories to splurge with.

Oh okay that makes sense! Do you ever have to issue of going over say fat or carbs but still have calories?
  • stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've been much more picky about the alcohol I consume now that I am watching my calorie intake. Though sometimes my husband and I will "accidentally" finish off an entire bottle or two of wine. Luckily for me, he drinks much faster than I do!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

So my goal is 1450. Yesterday for instance, my net calories was around 1100, so I "saved" 350 calories for this weekend. The extra calories are all from exercise, so I'm getting plenty of nutrition. I do this Monday-Thursday which gives me plenty of extra to splurge/spend on the weekend. I end up not missing anything because I can easily fit in the higher calorie things I like. On the phone app you can see what your weekly average is under "nutrition>macros>weekly view". I pretty much never try to meet my daily calorie needs, but I try very hard to hit my weekly.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I never had an issue with it in moderation. I never heard about the slowing the metabolism thing? I guess mine didn't get the memo after years of drinking in University ;)
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I drink whiskey with a splash of water sometimes. I don't count it but I also don't eat anything after it. Alcohol can't be stored as fat. I do not record it or fit it in. It has had no impact on my weight loss goal but I didn't drink if I planned to work out the next day.

Alcohol doesn't slow down your metabolism. What it does is put everything else going on in your body on hold. Your body sees alcohol as a toxin and goes to work eliminating it from your system as soon as it enters. That means anything else your body was digesting will stop for some time. If you drink a LOT in one sitting and then eat a bunch after, that food won't break down and digest like it normally would and those extra calories are more likely to be stored as fat. I am not a scientist or anything, but there are some studies you can find about this with a google search.

I have stopped drinking simply because it isn't worth the dip in performance. Even one drink will impact my lifting and running and it isn't worth it to me. When I do drink I follow a few rules. I eat all my calories before I drink (this helps in preventing hangovers as well), I drink tons of water while I do it and I eat nothing after. Usually I wake up the next morning with a lower weight than usual because alcohol dehydrates you. Doing this has actually gotten rid of water retention for me. It has had no drawbacks.

Now, I am not saying I sit down and drink a sugar laden margarita or pina colada. You can't do that without gaining. But pure spirits (or wine) won't store as fat. It physically can't. If you follow certain rule, you won't see a difference to your weight loss.