Plant Based Meal Prep

Options
rawroy
rawroy Posts: 106 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I never thought I'd be doing meal prep because I didn't see the need for it on a Plant Based Lifestyle. I'm sure there are benefits but for me, it always looked like my carnivorous friends were spending more time and money doing portion control and that wasn't appealing to me. I've been Plant Based for 3 years now and I was overweight before that. I've been just eating Low Fat Plant Based whenever and whatever I wanted and stayed lean! Well, I was wrong about having a need for Plant Based Meal Prep because I am a Prepper too and started buying food in bulk to save money and it just made sense to start preparing our meals ahead of time and so far I'm loving it! It also helps me stay motivated to find delicious and easier recipes to make to help others transition from meat and dairy to mostly or completely Plant Based!

If anyone is interested, my Diary is open!
https://goo.gl/photos/Nw2MamnNSLXK5uP19

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's so cool!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Awww you are making me hungry! That looks so good!
  • veronicav0502
    veronicav0502 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Wow that's awesome! I really need to do that. Can you freeze some of that or do you keep everything in the fridge?
  • mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Your meals look delicious. I've just started adding back plant based meat substitutes back into the mix so I'm excited to do a taco salad with crumbles.
  • rawroy
    Options
    Wow that's awesome! I really need to do that. Can you freeze some of that or do you keep everything in the fridge?

I haven't tried freezing anything yet. That might be a great solution for making them last more than a week! I'll try freezing one of these meals after and microwaving it after a week and see how one turns out! I only thought of making these last in the fridge for a week and I know using thawed out freezed vegetables turn soggy left in the fridge. This is still trial and error for me :)
  • rawroy
    Options
    mom2colbyj wrote: »
    Your meals look delicious. I've just started adding back plant based meat substitutes back into the mix so I'm excited to do a taco salad with crumbles.

The vegan meat crumbles we used are the Lightlife brand with zero fat! Make sure you add Cumin and you won't know the difference! Post your Plant Based Meal pics :) Looking forward to seeing and hearing how it turned out!
  • veronicav0502
    Options
    I haven't tried freezing anything yet. That might be a great solution for making them last more than a week! I'll try freezing one of these meals after and microwaving it after a week and see how one turns out! I only thought of making these last in the fridge for a week and I know using thawed out freezed vegetables turn soggy left in the fridge. This is still trial and error for me :)[/quote]

Please let me know how that goes. I would love to hear from you. I'm about to start planning, but I have limited space in my fridge.

ps- sending you a friend request
  • rawroy
    Options
    I need more ideas :) I am planning the same base meal with different flavors.
    So far, I have Pasta Week, Rice Week, Salad Week!
    What would you like to see next?
  • veronicav0502
    Options
    what about grilled meals?
  • rawroy
    Options

I'm grilling the vegan meat subs for the added protein. I love grilled veggies too but that would add more time to meal prep. So far, the tofu and rice was the easiest to prep having a rice cooker and just popping the tofu in the oven for 30 minutes. The salads took the longest because I had to hand wash, chop up and measure all that lettuce. It was easier just to make a salad on the fly but I have a new solution for Salads coming up!
  • ami4kids
    ami4kids Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How many calories are those running you? I enjoy having a salad for lunches, but being vegetarian with an Omni family, is tough. I rarely have time to eat with them since I cook our food at different times.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    WOW I am intrigued... Looks great!
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    rawroy wrote: »
    Just some of the Low Fat Plant Based Meals I'm making.
    45cb41eqmnkw.jpg
    dz4kdaw752a6.jpg
    1mh7ga0w0tyy.jpg
    73k2w3bfahhd.jpg
    nmx5qnldhvgk.jpg
    lc7mpscvv6v2.jpg
    y5xxxtle2le1.jpg
    7uz4jifmq092.jpg

Is that chicken or tofu? I'm newly vegan but everything looks fantastic! Where do you get your recipes?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    nm212 wrote: »
    Just some of the Low Fat Plant Based Meals I'm making.
    45cb41eqmnkw.jpg
    dz4kdaw752a6.jpg
    1mh7ga0w0tyy.jpg
    73k2w3bfahhd.jpg
    nmx5qnldhvgk.jpg
    lc7mpscvv6v2.jpg
    y5xxxtle2le1.jpg
    7uz4jifmq092.jpg

Is that chicken or tofu? I'm newly vegan but everything looks fantastic! Where do you get your recipes?

It looks like Beyond Meat (to me).
  • veronicav0502
    Options

I'm grilling the vegan meat subs for the added protein. I love grilled veggies too but that would add more time to meal prep. So far, the tofu and rice was the easiest to prep having a rice cooker and just popping the tofu in the oven for 30 minutes. The salads took the longest because I had to hand wash, chop up and measure all that lettuce. It was easier just to make a salad on the fly but I have a new solution for Salads coming up!

What about couscous or oven roasted veggies? Couscous seasons fairly easy so you can add lemon juice and cilantro after it's done cooking.
  • rawroy
    Options
    ami4kids wrote: »
    How many calories are those running you? I enjoy having a salad for lunches, but being vegetarian with an Omni family, is tough. I rarely have time to eat with them since I cook our food at different times.

Check out my food diary. I added them all there for the week. It's varies between 350-450 calories each. Since they are very low fat, I'm eating more quantity but when I get home I eat about 1,000 calories to get at least 2k per day. My breakfast and lunch is always going to be consistent.