Any have success with Low Carb?

Replies

• KatyBell164
    KatyBell164 Posts: 104 Member
    Keto here as it helps me keep my calories in check as well anek8vrswzo0.jpg
  • Keto here as it helps me keep my calories in check as well anek8vrswzo0.jpg

What's behind "apricot" and "sail"? Just curious.
  • nord51
    nord51 Posts: 10 Member
    Im another one with insulin issues and I find the keto or low carb the easiest way to live and diet. The same as any diet, if you revert to old eating habits once you reach goal, you will reach your previous weight again. For me the diet takes away all cravings and hormone swings which makes life easier.
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    I dropped 90 pounds on the low carb plan.. Mind you I fell back onto carbs and gained 25 of it back, so I'm back at it again, but not going as low as I did last time.. Now I'm limiting myself to under 100 grams a day.. Also upped my fitness plan too.. So far the results have been good.. But I still stay away from the bad carbs and stick to the smart carbs.. Just no bread, rice, taters, or pasta still...
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Most people I know that did keto or Adkins diets have gained it all back in a pretty short time. My hubby did a Keto diet and lost 55lbs then took about 7 months of and ate whatever he wanted and gained 25 lbs back. He did it again and lost more again. He never counted calories though.

I eat mainly paleo because I have celiac disease and am intolerant to a lot of grains, soy, food additives like msg, flavors, and colors, and some dairy (whey). I'm not strict paleo because I occasionally eat potatoes, processed food, rice, or quinoa. I find that using MFP and weighing everything really helps you to understand what you're eating and you learn healthier portion sizes. I think for some people they thrive on Keto diets, some vegetarian, vegan, or raw. I'd say try it and see how you feel. It's a good way to lose weight fast and not feel like you're starving. But if you stop and you don't log everything you'll just gain it back. Good luck!
  • KatyBell164
    KatyBell164 Posts: 104 Member

[/quote]

What's behind "apricot" and "sail"? Just curious. [/quote]

It's for dietbet
  • uninc57
    uninc57 Posts: 24 Member
    BaddS4 wrote: »
    But I still stay away from the bad carbs and stick to the smart carbs.. Just no bread, rice, taters, or pasta still...

All of those are good carbs if you just don't eat too much of them. I eat all of those things. I just count my macros. 100-150g carbs, 200-250g protein, under 70-80g fats. Around 1800-2100 calories daily. It's highly refined processed sugars that should be avoided, such as chips, soda, candy, sugary cereals, etc. I have dropped 12 pounds in the past month since I started eating this way, and I still get to enjoy those things. Heck, I even eat a Bagel with peanut butter for breakfast sometimes.

Obviously, if you in particular have some sort of insulin sensitivity this may not work but to just generalize and say those are bad carbs is just misinformation IMO.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2017
    It doesn't really matter which kind of diet you use while losing weight, to avoid regain you need a maintenance plan. You don't really need success tales to know if this diet works for you, your past weight loss shows that it does. Now what you need to focus on is developing strategies for maintenance. When you think back about your regain, yes you were eating more calories than you should have, but what caused you to overeat? Have you introduced back foods but were not prepared to moderate them? Too many "it's just one day"s? Became lax with tracking? Snuck too many extra bites here and there that you did not account for? Anything else?

Personally, I prefer for my weight loss diet to be as similar as possible to my maintenance diet because I will have picked a few tricks and strategies come maintenance. So ideally, if you want to lose weight following a low carb diet, it's best to continue eating low carb into maintenance. It is, however, possible to lose weight on a low carb then switch to a moderate carb and introduce new foods, but it's very important you understand that there will be a learning curve associated with a new eating approach and new strategies to learn.

Basically, just have a game plan for maintenance to avoid regain. You can't just be done with dieting once you reach your goal weight.

As for personal experience: low carb was not for me. It was too unpleasant and I gained weight on it because it did not align well with my eating preferences and habits so I ended up eating too many calories. I eat a high-ish carb diet and I'm happier on it, so it's easier to stick to it long term for me (and yes, I am insulin resistant and I still find a higher carb diet easier).
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Hmmm I have tried keto and it definitely works no question ... I shudder to think how many calories I consumed a day doing keto. You do eat large quantities of fat Fat is really the staple of the diet. To get in and stay in ketosis In the absence of carbohydrates the body will turn to fat you eat and stored fat on the body for fuel.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    LCHF I enjoy it because I find myself more satisfied there for eating less calories than I was when I was eating a lower fat higher carb diet. For me I'll probably do this for the rest of my life because I like the energy level that I have and so many of my blood counts have been proved including my cholesterol LDL-just ran 10 miles eating Keto-stamina great
  • Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Are you a member of the Low Carb Daily Forum? You're likely to find some folks who are doing your thing and having varying levels of success.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • boomyrose
    boomyrose Posts: 3 Member
    Its so hard cutting it out at first but you do it ! I first cut out all my bread going to wraps ..then i cut that out..i started using my salads to dip into my tuna for lunch lol and it was fine ! I started to cut out potatos at night as well as rice and pasta..and bread of course. I started having home made soups instead consisting of protein and lots of veg..i even tried zoodles :D up to them i didnt even miss the carbs but i have to say when i first started it was sooo hard i had to write notes and stick them on the fridge saying no carbs ! No ! No! no ! I and i underlined them for effect hehe..but it worked! And u can do it too :) ive lost 13.2 kilos so far im pretty much at my goal now so while im careful still with carbs i will allow myself some bread once or twice a week as well as some rice i just remind myself not to over do it. But honestly just count your calories and burn more than you eat and you will lose weight quicker than u can believe
  • SarcasticBlondie
    SarcasticBlondie Posts: 836 Member
    I'm keto. Lost 26 so far since the first of the year. Anyone can add me that wants more low carb/keto friends.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    4 years and 80lbs is pretty successful I guess. Especially when you compare it to 25years of yoyo dieting and never being able to stick to the traditional low fat high carb calorie restricted diet. Main reason being low carb gives you power over your hunger - in my opinion it is the single most important factor in my success.
  • matt88uk
    matt88uk Posts: 96 Member
    Low carb high carb soup diet herba life slimming world all these diets = caloric deficit .....just eat less cals than you body needs you lose weight regardless best diet is one that suits your life style don't restrict yourself or you will crash
  • lay011
    lay011 Posts: 25 Member
    It doesn't really matter which kind of diet you use while losing weight, to avoid regain you need a maintenance plan. You don't really need success tales to know if this diet works for you, your past weight loss shows that it does. Now what you need to focus on is developing strategies for maintenance. When you think back about your regain, yes you were eating more calories than you should have, but what caused you to overeat? Have you introduced back foods but were not prepared to moderate them? Too many "it's just one day"s? Became lax with tracking? Snuck too many extra bites here and there that you did not account for? Anything else?

Personally, I prefer for my weight loss diet to be as similar as possible to my maintenance diet because I will have picked a few tricks and strategies come maintenance. So ideally, if you want to lose weight following a low carb diet, it's best to continue eating low carb into maintenance. It is, however, possible to lose weight on a low carb then switch to a moderate carb and introduce new foods, but it's very important you understand that there will be a learning curve associated with a new eating approach and new strategies to learn.

Basically, just have a game plan for maintenance to avoid regain. You can't just be done with dieting once you reach your goal weight.

As for personal experience: low carb was not for me. It was too unpleasant and I gained weight on it because it did not align well with my eating preferences and habits so I ended up eating too many calories. I eat a high-ish carb diet and I'm happier on it, so it's easier to stick to it long term for me (and yes, I am insulin resistant and I still find a higher carb diet easier).

This is spot on!
  • nanapuddin1
    nanapuddin1 Posts: 45 Member
    I am doing nutritional keto (vs medical keto for health problems like seizures, cancer). Have been on this WOE for 6 months and have lost 33 pounds so far. I am 55 yo postmenopausal. This lifestyle has cleared up heartburn/GERD, joint pain, fatigue to name a few. I feel soooo much better and for that alone I am determined to continue this for life. I keep my net carbs no more than 25 grams, 100 to 120 grams protein and fats at 70-80 grams (I want my body to use the fat off my butt for fuel--lol). So far I am loving it :) As others have stated, to have long term success, you must make up your mind that you cannot go back to your old way of eating. You'll wind up right back where you started from. I hope you find a WOE that will fit YOUR lifestyle and that you will be able to maintain from now on. Good luck.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    matt88uk wrote: »
    Low carb high carb soup diet herba life slimming world all these diets = caloric deficit .....just eat less cals than you body needs you lose weight regardless best diet is one that suits your life style don't restrict yourself or you will crash

Tell me, why do people like you feel the need to make comments like this on every single low carb post? If only life were that simple. No one's arguing that you don't need to eat at a calorie deficit on low carb, but there are all kinds of other benefits such as reduced inflammation, less frequent migraines, ability to control your hunger rather than yoyo dieting. Also every diet is restricting, and "you will crash" is based on what exactly? 4 years and I haven't "crashed" yet, although when I was eating "CICO" without minding carbs I "crashed" every other day. Why is it whenever someone mentions low carb (despite many many science to back up it's effectiveness and validity) y'all get so threatened? No one's going to come to your house and take your junk food away, it's ok.

These comments are usually made to make sure a person is doing a certain diet because it fits them, and not because some website somewhere or some youtuber said it was the only way to lose weight, regardless of their personal preferences and body response. The same comments are made for high carb low fat diet and other named diets and shake products. When something is trendy people flood to it, including people who are not a good fit for a certain diet. It's not a case of being threatened at all, but a case of some people having been burned before by stubbornly attempting things that didn't work for them over and over and trying to save others the same trouble.

In fact I'm one of the people who sometimes makes these kinds of comments on certain specific threads, but in this thread you can see I asserted that this diet looks like a good for OP, so she needs to focus on the actual issue she is having (being prepared for maintenance) not the kind of diet itself since it appears to have been sustainable enough for her to lose a good amount of weight.

People need to stop feeling victimized when they aren't. You don't need to feel like you have defend yourself or your diet. You know what works for you.
  • JanetDoesDiet
    JanetDoesDiet Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm recently diagnosed with diabetes and I'm learning which foods to eat to manage insulin response. After learning so much, I can no longer accept that any diet is fine as long as there is a calorie deficit.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!