Disappointed in my lack of willpower and commitment

Options
Hello :)

This is my third time starting a MFP diary, and I know that it works. The problem is that I stop logging about 3-4 weeks in, when things are just starting to get going and then ultimately give up.

I know that logging works, but am still unable to keep it going. If I had stuck with my last attempt, I would be nearly half way to my goal weight...

I am so disappointed in myself and my lack of willpower.

If anyone wants to be friends, though, I would really appreciate the support.

Replies

• shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up.

Just keep going and make a goal to get passed the last time. So maybe go for 45-60 days logged in?

Set an alarm or a notification on your phone. IF it's that important to you.

Feel free to add me :smile:
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Are you saying you stick with the logging plan for 3-4 weeks and you start noticing a drop in weight so you stop logging?

What is/are your reason(s) for losing weight? Perhaps writing that down will help keep you motivated...they're your own words, let your heart speak for you.
  • bird8977
    bird8977 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've never used this app before and it's crazy intricate and kind of intimidating. Likewise, I can totally relate to the falling off in logging information. So many huge gaps in my logs on other apps it's ridiculous.

Not sure what adding as a friend entails, but would very much like someone to help keep me accountable as well. :)
  • Texasrain56
    Texasrain56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you but this time I'm going to hold myself accountable. It sounds silly but I put a sticker on a calendar for each day that I log my food. I know, sounds like something you'd do for your kids, but there's just something about flipping through my calendar and see all those nifty little stars or hearts or whatever all in nice little rows.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Hello :)

This is my third time starting a MFP diary, and I know that it works. The problem is that I stop logging about 3-4 weeks in, when things are just starting to get going and then ultimately give up.

I know that logging works, but am still unable to keep it going. If I had stuck with my last attempt, I would be nearly half way to my goal weight...

I am so disappointed in myself and my lack of willpower.

If anyone wants to be friends, though, I would really appreciate the support.

This is like, my 3rd time. I was really mad at myself the last time..I gave up halfway to goal because I let issues cloud my judgment. Hang in. Take it one day at a time.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Ok how about this time when you get to week 3 or 4 you remind yourself how far you've come and how this time you won't give up - think of how in two months time you would be xx lbs lighter and so on.... you can break this cycle.

All the best.
  • imadethisforsara
    imadethisforsara Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all these thoughtful replies. I'm just heading to sleep now, and will reply properly in the morning, but just wanted to say thanks.
  • imadethisforsara
    Options
    shanae727 wrote: »
    Don't beat yourself up.

Just keep going and make a goal to get passed the last time. So maybe go for 45-60 days logged in?

Set an alarm or a notification on your phone. IF it's that important to you.

Feel free to add me :smile:

That's a good idea. I'll aim for 45 days for now, and if (when!) I hit that, I'll go for 60. Thank you!
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    Are you saying you stick with the logging plan for 3-4 weeks and you start noticing a drop in weight so you stop logging?

What is/are your reason(s) for losing weight? Perhaps writing that down will help keep you motivated...they're your own words, let your heart speak for you.

Yes! I don't know what is going on in my head at all! It is like as if I see that it is working, and get complacent or something. I need to fill out my profile, so I will write my motivations down there :smile:

bird8977 wrote: »
    I've never used this app before and it's crazy intricate and kind of intimidating. Likewise, I can totally relate to the falling off in logging information. So many huge gaps in my logs on other apps it's ridiculous.

Not sure what adding as a friend entails, but would very much like someone to help keep me accountable as well. :)

*wave* thank you for your reply! This app is pretty intimidating at first, but once you are up and running with it, it does get easier. Thank you also for the friend request!
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Take it one day at a time.

I think this is one of the most important things... it makes it feel less intimidating.

Ok how about this time when you get to week 3 or 4 you remind yourself how far you've come and how this time you won't give up - think of how in two months time you would be xx lbs lighter and so on.... you can break this cycle.

All the best.

Thank you for the encouragement! I think you are right and I just need to be mindful of that 3-4 week point. If I can even get to two months, I will know that things are changing.
    I'm right there with you but this time I'm going to hold myself accountable. It sounds silly but I put a sticker on a calendar for each day that I log my food. I know, sounds like something you'd do for your kids, but there's just something about flipping through my calendar and see all those nifty little stars or hearts or whatever all in nice little rows.

That is a good idea, and even if other people don't know what the stickers mean it could be my own little way of logging it in a visible way. Thanks, I think I might try this!
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Sometimes when I'm finding my motivation is lacking I pretend that I'm participating in a game and I think things like, "if I enter everything in my diary today and tomorrow I win this round."

In my case the prizes are silly things like how now that I've done X exercise I've won one free hour of vegging around tonight or I win that bowl of popcorn or something.

Other times I just do what I used to do in school where if there was a subject that I hated I would just pretend that I was super into it, sit up straight and take notes and really focus on listening, and doing all of those things would actually get me into the lesson that day. So sometimes I just think, "nope, you're really into being healthy - enter that coffee you're drinking and enter your lunch later because you're incredibly into this." And just re-centering my focus gets me back into the swing of things.

It's a little bit lame but it works for me lol.

It's not lame at all, I think I need to try and get into that mindset of "fake it til you make it" :smile:

As you said, just pretend that logging is something great until it becomes something great...

Thank you everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it!
  • imadethisforsara
    Options
    oops, i definitely messed up the formatting there...