Treadmill Static Shock...WTH!?! Advice, plz!

Options
SoyD986
SoyD986 Posts: 57 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
MFP Treadmill Junkies - need your help:
I recently bought my first ever treadmill after exhaustive research. It was delivered and professionally installed about 1 week ago and since then I've been able to use it about 3 times due to some travel. Yesterday and much more so today, I am noticing a lot of static shock when walking on it. Nothing's changed in my shoes or wardrobe or house or air or machine. I live alone so no one has touched the machine.

It's on the manufacturer suggested rubber mat and I'm at a loss.... the static shocks are pretty intense!

If I hold on to the heart rate monitor metal handle bars it doesn't shock me but feel my arm hairs standing up - I'm guessing that's grounding me.

The only thing I've changed is my Fitbit watch strap - but I can't imagine that's causing me to get shocked.

Any suggestions on what to do to stop this? I'm worried I'll either zap myself seriously or ruin a very very expensive piece of equipment.

Help!!! Please. :)

Replies

• kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have had this!!

It's nasty... when I used to workout at the gym, if I touched any metal part of the treadmill I would get a pretty strong electric shock. I suspect it was something to do with the soles of my trainers not grounding me properly (perhaps not being 100% rubber?).

It wasn't pleasant at all...
  • cmak2
    cmak2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I get a strong zap in my earpiece ( I watch DVDs while I walk) if I don't keep one hand on the metal heart monitor grip- it's pretty painful. For a long time I thought it was the ear piece going bad. As long as I keep one hand "grounded" the static is almost nil. I do not have a rubber mat, my treadmill sits on carpeting. But I suspect it is my rubber shoe soles causing friction?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Contact the manufacturer for professional advice. It may not have been set up correctly. Mistakes happen.

Also, try putting a humidifier in the room. Low humidity makes static build-up worse.

Otherwise, I think you're going to have to adjust to compensate for the treadmill, or return it. Try wearing only natural fibres, e.g. cotton. Lycra and nylon are out for the duration.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I would contact the manufacturer and find out if there is an earthing strap or anything that should be hanging underneath the treadmill to the ground.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    I would contact the manufacturer and find out if there is an earthing strap or anything that should be hanging underneath the treadmill to the ground.
    That's what I'm thinking.

EDIT: or she could have one that's simply faulty.

• SoyD986
    Options
    Thanks all - appreciate the responses! Will call them today. Hoping it's a simple fix, as I love it!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I bought an anti-static wristband from Amazon which has worked like a charm. No more annoying zaps for me.

aoojvzqmyg4k.jpeg
  • SoyD986
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 - great news! I also have a Nordic track. Is that clipped to the fan part - it looks similar to mine. The plastic right? Just ordered mine from Amazon so just one more day of shocks! Buzz! :smile:
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that and run on many a treadmill.... Makes me jumpy just thinking about it! I hope you get your problem fixed!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    SoyD986 wrote: »
    @BruinsGal_91 - great news! I also have a Nordic track. Is that clipped to the fan part - it looks similar to mine. The plastic right? Just ordered mine from Amazon so just one more day of shocks! Buzz! :smile:

Love my Nordic Track. Yep, it's clipped to the fan, but I also put a screw in one of the posts which is better at keeping the wire out of the way.

fqflj5lmsy8z.jpeg