Beautiful Behaviors - March 2017

Options

Replies

• kkelly1223
    kkelly1223 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What a great perspective on being healthy. I'm not too hard on myself about my weight b/c I'm doing something about it. Taking time out to go for a nature walk & to read a chapter out of a book everyday sounds lovely. :smiley:
  • jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all, and welcome to our new friends!

I've been awol. I'm having a terrible time tracking my food consistently, and it seems to all start there with me. I was too depressed about the choices I was making to come online and participate. I'm not beating myself up any more, but I am trying to be very introspective and figure out why I resist changing behaviors that are unhealthy for me. I am going to take a different approach today, and think about what GOOD habits I want to add instead of focusing on the BAD ones I want to drop. It's easier to add good in than drop bad, and usually the good will crowd out the bad eventually. At least, that's what I've found in the past works for me.

SO. The beautiful behaviors I want to focus on are:

1. checking in here daily. the longer I stay off this board, the harder it gets to come back, and I really do love chatting with you all.
    2. tracking every bite without judgment. I will be happy if I track everything, and not worry about what I'm eating right now.
    3. moving at least 2000 steps on the days I am home, and 3500 on the days I go to the office.

this is going to be a rough week for me, food-wise, because John went out west to visit his daughter and will be gone for 2 - 3 days. I always eat worse when I am alone. I'm not going to focus on this, though, because when I do, I eat even WORSE (like, well, I'm already off, what difference does another piece of "fill in the blank" make). I'm only going to focus on tracking every bite.

It sure gets disheartening when you continue to work on the same steps over and over without achieving lasting success. AND, that's all the negativity i'll allow today! Time to paste on a smile and get working.

Have a beautiful day, beautiful people!

jess
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    @CT0526, good for you for not snacking! eating out can be managed, and it sounds like you did a great job.

@mir1104, how inspiring to have a triathlete here with us! let us know how the mussels turn out.

@kittens_info, you will do fabulous on your first half marathon, it's great to set yourself goals that challenge you and make you a little nervous.

@aleahurst, Lea, your posts always make me feel like everything is going to be ok. I have medical issues that I struggle with on some days, and I am always trying to be as kind to myself as you seem to be. love you!

@happysherri, congrats on winning all your games! it's so great to have a hobby that you love that adds to your healthy activity. I miss playing volleyball. Maybe i'll put a net up in the backyard this summer!

@AlisalGal, a 50 minute walk sounds like an excellent way to start the day!
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    @socalnikki22
    That's exactly it, I do that too. I think I could do without this or that and save some calories but forget I'm already restricting, so that goes beyond common sense and there I binge. Bad idea, we can both do better than that!

@kkelly1223
    Welcome onboard!

@jessiquoi
    It helps me a lot to come here. Shows that athletes struggle with weight too, lol. We're all in the same boat.

Mussels ended up in a soup. I love to have something warm to eat when I get home, something like...a proper meal!! It was the simplest thing, chopped onion/carrot/celery (they come pre-chopped and frozen here - 20 cals per 100g) in a non-stick pan with nothing added but a dash of basil (as well chopped and frozen, does it show my love for frozen food??).
    Added the mussels (frozen!), half a cup of tomato sauce (ok this was not frozen) and veggie stock. I let it cook while I made some salad.
    Soup is such a great hack, filling and low calorie.
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    Sherri, you inspire me so much with your workouts. I want to be able to say later that "I spent 5 minutes on upper body and 5 minutes on lower body and 10 minutes on cardio", and so I shall amend my goals for today to include that!
  • KimF0715
    KimF0715 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi All:

Haven't been around. My motivation is nil. I have to start doing things differently. I've gained more than a pound since I began.

I have to change things up or I may as well just forget it.

The only Beautiful Behavior I've done lately is get more rest. I can fall asleep on a picket fence these days.

Going to really try to recommit.

Kim
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    @KimF0715, I'm right there with you. today I woke up determined to "act it until I feel it", and so I came back to this group. Good for you for coming back too!
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    I think I just committed to going to a yoga class this Saturday with a girlfriend. I really NEED to and I really WANT to. I will be focusing on doing this for the rest of the week.
  • kittens_info
    kittens_info Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @KimF0715 we all have slumps, each day is a new beginning.
  • dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Every time I travel I fall off the grid!!! Maybe it is because I am regretful about my eating or maybe because I am overwhelmed when I get home because I am behind on everything. Beautiful behavior behind this- I reached my step goal of 6000 most days. I have no idea how much I weigh right now.
    I am going to focus on getting logging my food, working to get the steps in and getting enough sleep. I have lots of major housework to catch up on and am too tired in the evening after work to accomplish much. I am not going to let myself get overwhelmed and give up.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    @ Lea - Wonderful goals! Healthy foods are good for the body.
    @kittens_info - You can do anything you set your mind too. I like that you set small weekly goals, that's what I do too. Have faith and keep trying.
    @mir1104 - mmmm... I want some mussels :wink: Get to bed early, good one, I need to follow that
    @CT0526 - awesome job to your son! Way to keep trying this past weekend even though "life" happened lol. Keep going, great goals.

Update: Not so beautiful behavior but kinda :blush: Had my splurge meal last night, Tons of sodium! Weighed myself this morning (I knew what I would see), **Fluctuated up 4 pounds! I laughed at the number on the scale because I did not drink my water yesterday and with the high sodium meal, that's the difference. Also I know once I get my 140 ounces of water today that I will flush that sodium out of my system. ---Moral of the story, keep going. The old me would have been angry and given up. The more educated new me knows how this works and I feel so excited about my progress in my workouts and eating habits.

Not so beautiful behavior - should have waited a day to weigh myself after splurge meal
    Beautiful behavior - didn't get discouraged from the number on the scale because in the long term of the journey I know I'm doing what I need to for my body.

Thought for the day: Don't call it a dream, call it a plan.

L <3 VE THIS!!!! very inspiring!!
  • mir1104
    Options
    Meh. So much for my beautiful behaviour that went flying right out the window.
    Stood up way too much after physio last night, felt a mix of sick and stressed, ended up eating way too much...not proud of it. Been experimenting a lot with my diet recently, trying to make things simpler and in some ways tastier but I'll admit nothing worked better than the meal plan I had about 5-6 weeks ago, I'm going right back there.

Ok let's see the positives, I'm still here. I'm going to drink a lot of water today and have a lighter diet.
    Training is swimming tonight, it's going to be a long session but dinner is ready, at least.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    @KimF0715 - hey, girl, hey! glad to see you
    @jessiquoi - I need to commit more. I don't make plans so that I don't have to break them when I don't feel like doing them. But all that does is keep me from having fun. I need to follow your lead!!! great job
    @dlm4mom - Uhm, excuse me, you just practiced a beautiful behavior and that's setting goals and pushing forward. Great work!
    @fruitydelicious - u makin me blush! :blush:
    @mir1104 - Success! moving forward, setting those goals and looking on toward tomorrow... also love the positive thinking!

Update: My body yelled "NO" at me last night! So, I listened and took a rest day. I'm still sore from a workout I did on Saturday and a little sore from the workouts the last couple of days. My mind thinks that I am still young and can push hard and keep going, my body quickly reminds me 'girl, nah, girl, you are older and you can't do that or push that hard without rest anymore'! haha My boyfriend even plopped down on the couch and sighed and I said 'you tired' he said, yep, me: 'then you don't mind if we skip the gym, because I'm sore' LOL We're old

Beautiful behaviors -- Sooooo... yesterday was a rest day, but stayed under calorie goal (even though I was craving junk). today is my official rest day and I get to have dinner with my son, Yay!

Thought for the day: I don't know what's longer a microwave minute or a treadmill minute! Laugh always needed :smiley:
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody! Arthritis in my hands has kept me from posting for a bit. So, I will up the antiinflammatory foods! (Which include dark chocolate - no overindulgence - just a little).

Love you all!

Lea
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    woke up sneezing and have sore throat......

Had running to do a lot of running in the morning and finally home at 2:30.

Beautiful behavior: REST!!! homeschooling from my bed, and I can take turns with my 6th grader to read the lessons .
  • AlisalGal
    AlisalGal Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Sounds like everyone is fighting the good fight today. This is one area that I truly believe we get A+ for effort. Today I planned out all my meals, prepped and brought my breakfast and lunch from home, and realized everything in my meal plan today is whole, real fresh food. Nothing packaged or canned.... well the cheese I plan to put on my baked potato with steamed broccoli is packaged... but I'm feeling great about the food choices and motivated to stick with the plan.
  • mir1104
    Options
    @aleahurst
    hey, you do anti-inflammatory foods too! Thought it was just me...I started when I had an injury and my ankle litterally deflated more with the food change than steroids, I didn't think it was possible.

@AlisalGal
    Well done! Lol well, unless you want to get into cheesemaking...but then milk will be packaged too, so you need a cow. It gets a little complicated. ;)

Cycling this morning was good, it was just 3 C but keeping up the pace made sure I didn't freeze.

I have accidentally had lactose yesterday...you know when you eat something assuming there is none then turn the package...too late! But luckily it did not affect me too bad, it was in the very last ingredients so I suppose there wasn't much. I'm having a light day on fruit/vegs only though just to rest a little.

Beautiful behaviour for today
    - keep diet to veg soup, apples and baby cream of rice-tapioca
    - make that veg tajine tonight
    - find time to sit and read a bit, maybe in lunchtime
    - get at least 6 hours sleep tonight
  • CT0526
    CT0526 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

So the past three days I have gone over my calorie count (slightly) and have not gotten on the treadmill.
    I'm determined to make the second half of the week better!

I finally got a good night's sleep last night and am feeling great today. @mir1104 I don't know how you do it on 6 hours of sleep!

Keep up the Beautiful Behaviors!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Good Thursday to all!

Update: Had a good dinner and quality time with my son last night. I miss my kiddos, I know they are doing great but busy in college and high school and working a bunch. I walked by the pastries, bagels, breads, etc... I don't feel too bad or deprived passing up all of the goodies because it's paying off. My midsection is flatter and I'm seeing more definition each week. It takes time but if we're patient our hard work will pay off.

Feeling good today and will definitely be doing some HIIT cardio and maybe some lifting later.

Thought for the day: A little everyday goes a long way.