I don't feel right eating exercise calories....

Options

Replies

• GuessIgottalog
    GuessIgottalog Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Wow! Lots of info here! Thanks!
    So my TDEE is 1750 because I am 5"9 and am a sedentary office worker.
    I have MFP set to 1300 cals a day and some days, mostly weekends I go over to about 1800-2000.
    I walk 30 min each day at work ( so 5 days)
    I lift weights for 30min 2 to 3 times a week.
    I do 2 other cardio sessions a week like elliptical, skating, sledding, exercise bike. 30min to 1 hour depending on how much fun im having lol.

TDEE 1750 - 1300 = 450 deficit.
    2000 weekend calories - 1750 TDEE = 250 surplus

450*5 days = 2250 deficit
    250x2 days = 500 surplus
    NET deficit for week is 1750
    Exercise calories - 1000 (pure guestimate)
    Weekly deficit of 2750

I shouldn't eat exercise calories, should I??????
    I am barely set up to lose a pound of weight a week and sometimes I even screw up more!
    This math i did is an eye opener that I need to work harder!

It seems like you are mixing up two different approaches. MFP and TDEE work off of two different formulas, and it seems like you might be trying to combine them.

You reference a TDEE of 1750 for a sedentary office worker, but then go on to describe your exercise routine. Where did you get 1750 from? If it was from a TDEE calculator online, it should have included your exercise estimates in it. TDEE is the Total Daily Energy Expenditure and should include exercise in your estimate. Then you would take an appropriate deficit from that (either subtract calories or take a percentage deduction) and then DON'T log and eat back exercise calories.

You also reference what you have MFP set to. MFP is a NEAT calculation - it estimates what your maintenance calories would be excluding exercise, takes a deduction from that based on the rate of loss you select, and then provides you a goal. If you exercise, you should eat back some of those calories if you are following the MFP method.

Pick one or the other - but not both.

Thanks. I want to use the TDEE method. I was told to just enter how most of my days were and unfortunately that is office worker so sedentary and for that my TDEE is 1750 so I am knocking off 450 calories to get a deficit.

If you're using the TDEE method, you're supposed to include your exercise activity in your activity level...and thus wouldn't be sedentary regardless of whether you work in an office or not. I'm a desk jockey...I also cycle a lot and lift...I'm far from sedentary.

Ive heard if you sit on your *kitten* 8 hours a day and sleep 8 hours a night, but you run a marathon 3 times a week, you are still sedentary. Its about your lifestyle not your exercise regimen.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You can try the TDEE method. Where you eat a constant amount everyday but it factors in your weekly exercise. You can get a calorie estimate as to your daily goal on the site below. Just make sure to be honest about how much exercise you do:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

When you do it this way, you never eat back your exercise calories (unless you have a week where you went completely exercise crazy and did like double what you usually do). However you may notice your daily calorie goal is higher than what MFP sets it at when you mark yourself as "Sedentary".
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I have MFP set to 1300 cals a day and some days, mostly weekends I go over to about 1800-2000.
    I do 2 other cardio sessions a week like elliptical, skating, sledding, exercise bike. 30min to 1 hour depending on how much fun im having lol.

250x2 days = 500 surplus
    Weekly deficit of 2750

I am barely set up to lose a pound of weight a week and sometimes I even screw up more!

It seems like you are mixing up two different approaches. MFP and TDEE work off of two different formulas, and it seems like you might be trying to combine them.

You reference a TDEE of 1750 for a sedentary office worker, but then go on to describe your exercise routine. Where did you get 1750 from? If it was from a TDEE calculator online, it should have included your exercise estimates in it. TDEE is the Total Daily Energy Expenditure and should include exercise in your estimate. Then you would take an appropriate deficit from that (either subtract calories or take a percentage deduction) and then DON'T log and eat back exercise calories.

You also reference what you have MFP set to. MFP is a NEAT calculation - it estimates what your maintenance calories would be excluding exercise, takes a deduction from that based on the rate of loss you select, and then provides you a goal. If you exercise, you should eat back some of those calories if you are following the MFP method.

Thanks. I want to use the TDEE method. I was told to just enter how most of my days were and unfortunately that is office worker so sedentary and for that my TDEE is 1750 so I am knocking off 450 calories to get a deficit.

If you're using the TDEE method, you're supposed to include your exercise activity in your activity level...and thus wouldn't be sedentary regardless of whether you work in an office or not. I'm a desk jockey...I also cycle a lot and lift...I'm far from sedentary.

Ive heard if you sit on your *kitten* 8 hours a day and sleep 8 hours a night, but you run a marathon 3 times a week, you are still sedentary. Its about your lifestyle not your exercise regimen.

That is the case with NEAT (the myfitnesspal method) as you take account of the marathon running by logging it as exercise. It is not true for TDEE, where there is no distinction between "activity" and "exercise", it's all included in your basic calorie goal.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options

250x2 days = 500 surplus
    Weekly deficit of 2750

You are combining two different methods. It's about your lifestyle not your exercise if you use mfp for your goal. But if you use a TDEE calculator for your goal then it is also about your exercise. If you want to use your TDEE then that is fine. Put your info into the calculator and include how many days per week you exercise. That will be your goal and that will be what you eat each day. Do not eat back any exercise calories mfp gives you. (I wouldn't log exercise on mfp if you are using TDEE or you should change the exercise calorie burn to 1.) But if you use mfp then you will eat more on the days you are more active and less on the days you are less active because you will only account for exercise when you actually do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

250x2 days = 500 surplus
    Weekly deficit of 2750

For MFP, yes you would be sedentary as it's based on your daily life without exercise. But TDEE includes exercise, so you would not be sedentary unless you didn't exercise at all.

Yes...and then you would account for exercise after the fact when you log it and get additional calories to cover that activity...just for clarification as the OP seems to be having trouble grasping this.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

250x2 days = 500 surplus
    Weekly deficit of 2750

This is again mixing different approaches (which is understandable, it can be confusing).

MFP has you add back exercise and is based just on non exercise daily activity. For that you wouldn't include marathon calories. (You would include daily regular calories, so for example I am lightly active despite my office job because I live in a city a walk a whole bunch just commuting, doing errands, etc. -- many with small children would be more than sedentary for similar reasons.)

The TDEE method does include exercise. That's why calculators will ask if you exercise lightly three days a week or vigorously 6 days a week or the like. I'd be conservative in answering, at first, but you would include it. I'm 5'3, 125, and my TDEE is quite a bit over 1750, so I would think yours is also more, in reality.

But then with the TDEE method (which I also like), you would not eat back exercise.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

250x2 days = 500 surplus
    Weekly deficit of 2750

As suspected, you are conflating the two approaches.
    Use a TDEE Calculator like Scoobys Workshop, with estimates of your actual exercise, to calculate your TDEE. Choose an appropriate deficit for the amount of weight you have to lose (have you said what that is?)
    Eat that amount of calories each day, don't log exercise, or at least, don't eat back exercise calories burned. This is best for people who exercise regularly and with fairly consistent calorie burns.

OR....

Use MFP set up with the selection of Sedentary for an Office job, let MFP calculate a calorie goal based on the rate of loss you select (again, make sure it's appropriate for the total amount you have to lose), then log and eat back at least some of those exercise calories.

Regardless of which method you choose - the total calories you consume and the results you get should be the same. One is a bottom up approach, the other is top down. As long as you are consistent and don't mix them up (as I think you have been up to this point), follow it for several weeks, then adjust based on the actual results you get.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If your net calories end up being too low, you'll end up causing your metabolic rate to crawl. And then the stagnant weight loss epic begins. There have been lots of threads on them...................losing 10lbs-20lbs or more in less than a month then NOTHING for the next 3 months. Not an uncommon story.
    You CAN'T outsmart your body. What you FEEL isn't something your body cares about. It just knows how to acclimate if you don't provide enough for it to function properly.

So help a newbie out here....

Right now it appears that I am sitting at a solid 1000 deficit based on all I can gather from my diary, fitbit, info, etc. Being only in my 4th week into the process with only about 2.5 of those weeks of tracking CICO, what would be the best indicator that I may be under-eating?

Calories In, assuming I'm measuring properly (I think I estimate high when I have to estimate) is pretty easy. Calories out seems like another matter. I can say that I've dropped about 12 pounds in about 4 weeks, which I don't suspect is sustainable. I do worry about whether my metabolism will slow down and how to tell for sure if it is. If I see the weight loss slowing down or stopping (not to say slowing down from 3 lbs/wk - I expect that), is that an indication that I should eat more? If I'm reading you correctly I think it is....

But there is so much information out here on these forums, I know it is not all correct.

The simplest way to see if one is "under-eating" is to divide this morning's weight by your weight a week ago. If the answer is less than .99, you're under-eating. One week of under-eating won't kill you or even damage your metabolism. However stacking several consecutive weeks on top of each other of under-eating will cause your NEAT to decline, and severely under-eating for several weeks causes long-term metabolic changes in response to this severe famine. The science has shown that calorie deficits greater than 500 per day for 8 weeks cause NEAT to decline by about 10%, and then NEAT can be restored by a week of maintenance-level eating. The science has not defined the bounds of severely damaging deficits, although The Biggest Loser has given us a wealth of data that it happens in that range of self-abuse.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,649 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

The simplest way to see if one is "under-eating" is to divide this morning's weight by your weight a week ago. If the answer is less than .99, you're under-eating. One week of under-eating won't kill you or even damage your metabolism. However stacking several consecutive weeks on top of each other of under-eating will cause your NEAT to decline, and severely under-eating for several weeks causes long-term metabolic changes in response to this severe famine. The science has shown that calorie deficits greater than 500 per day for 8 weeks cause NEAT to decline by about 10%, and then NEAT can be restored by a week of maintenance-level eating. The science has not defined the bounds of severely damaging deficits, although The Biggest Loser has given us a wealth of data that it happens in that range of self-abuse.

I don't know that it's quite that simple. Weight gain and loss is not linear and it's not always just cals in/ cals out. (*waits for the collective gasp*) Day to day fluctuations can be huge. Weigh daily, and look at weekly revolving trends - that's a good way to measure success.

I'm hovering around goal and have been doing a pretty damn good job of staying under my calorie limit for the last three months... But my weight - it's a freaking yoyo. I can be up 5pounds in a day because I'm irregular and last night I had eaten french fries and pizza (damn salt). I can be up a few pounds for a few days because of a workout, or it's "that time of the month", or whatever other BS reason my body weight decides to spike. But then the next day after a good workout and a great bathroom break and I'm two pounds under goal. WTH? The general trend, over the long term is down.

A week at a glance is a good yardstick, but if you're only weighing once a week, and you catch a bad day, then you could change your approach needlessly.

Case in point... Look at my 7 day, 30 day, and 90 day numbers. If I changed based on a week, I'd be cutting my cals.. but I won't... because overall, the process IS, in fact, working.

yl7y064ifvnx.png
  • MommaBear637
    MommaBear637 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I end up eating mine. But, I feel the same way
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    It's important to recognize that MFP is setting us up to lose weight WITHOUT exercise. When you exercise you're going to want to eat them back (at least in part - since most exercise calculators overestimate burn) because it is actually making a bigger deficit, and you want an reasonable deficit, not a huge one (you'd think you would, but it's not really true).
    I like to think of it as a benefit of exercise, better overall health and I can have a little something extra with dinner, or a snack. It also means appropriately fueling because of exercise.
  • Jabbarwocky
    Jabbarwocky Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it's quite that simple. Weight gain and loss is not linear and it's not always just cals in/ cals out. (*waits for the collective gasp*) Day to day fluctuations can be huge. Weigh daily, and look at weekly revolving trends - that's a good way to measure success.

I'm hovering around goal and have been doing a pretty damn good job of staying under my calorie limit for the last three months... But my weight - it's a freaking yoyo. I can be up 5pounds in a day because I'm irregular and last night I had eaten french fries and pizza (damn salt). I can be up a few pounds for a few days because of a workout, or it's "that time of the month", or whatever other BS reason my body weight decides to spike. But then the next day after a good workout and a great bathroom break and I'm two pounds under goal. WTH? The general trend, over the long term is down.

I will say that I've honestly always been a big proponent of cals in/cals out for overall weight loss. Its a good part of the reason I'm not a big fan of daily weigh ins. That being said, I do acknowledge that the fluctuations can be huge even within just one day. Hehehe! The great bathroom break! I was in a weight loss competition last year at work and was constipated for almost a week before the final weigh in days. I still was the day I weighed in. I weighed and things broke lose that night. They had another weigh in the next day, I asked and they let me weigh in again and I lost almost 6 pounds!
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat mine and log them before bed so I'm not as tempted. When I have extra, I usually want a sugary snack, so if they Aren't on there it helps me.
  • ishyramirez1224
    ishyramirez1224 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1234newman wrote: »
    I try not to eat up to the full value of the exercise calories. However I like the promise of more food as a reward for exercising.

Cue->behaviour->reward, which ensures continuation of the healthy for heart and wellbeing exercise behaviour.

So gain and consume those exercise calories they are good for you in other important ways.

I've done more exercising JUST so I could have more food!! But even if I eat the exercise calories back I'm still under 1200 calories a day, even if it's only 50+
  • ishyramirez1224
    ishyramirez1224 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    I don't eat any exercise calories back but I am trying to lose. I go to bed most nights with 1,000 calorie deficit after logging all food and exercise.

And what is your calorie goal per day?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    1234newman wrote: »
    I try not to eat up to the full value of the exercise calories. However I like the promise of more food as a reward for exercising.

Cue->behaviour->reward, which ensures continuation of the healthy for heart and wellbeing exercise behaviour.

So gain and consume those exercise calories they are good for you in other important ways.

I've done more exercising JUST so I could have more food!! But even if I eat the exercise calories back I'm still under 1200 calories a day, even if it's only 50+

Why are you aiming under the recommended minimum calorie target?