Frozen Meals?

So the weightloss clinic told me today that I should look into getting frozen meals for my weekly meal prep but I've always kind of been under the impression that they aren't all the good for you. Are there any good frozen meals that aren't super processed and are high protein, low fat, low sodium, low carb? I would also appreciate it if they tasted good.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    According to this: http://plenteousveg.com/vegan-processed-foods/ Morningstar is one of the better choices and their burgers are good. (I realize you haven't mentioned being vegan, but I'm vegetarian and kosher, so my recommendations are sort of filtered through those limitations.)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    So the weightloss clinic told me today that I should look into getting frozen meals for my weekly meal prep but I've always kind of been under the impression that they aren't all the good for you. Are there any good frozen meals that aren't super processed and are high protein, low fat, low sodium, low carb? I would also appreciate it if they tasted good.

Oh my gosh. There are TONS that are both delicious and quite healthy!!
  • whirlyruns
    whirlyruns Posts: 23 Member
    edited March 2017
    sometimes I'll have a bag of steamfresh frozen veggies and canned chicken for lunch. Quick and more filling (to me) than a frozen meal.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Generally, look for a reasonable frozen meal and pair it with a piece of fruit and/or some fresh veggies on the side to round it out. I keep a few on hand for lunches when I'm out of leftovers. They're easy and can be pretty inexpensive. I buy whatever brand is on sale that fits my criteria.
    -300 to 500 calories
    -under 1000 mg sodium
    -some fiber (5g+ is good)
    -no trans fat

I'm in Canada, so I get PC Blue brand frozen meals quite often, and they're both really good and good for me. A list of brands that are good to consider: Amy’s Kitchen, CedarLane Natural Foods, Dr. Praeger’s, Earth’s Best, FreshDirect, Kashi, Kettle Cuisine, Kidfresh, Kids Organic, Lean Cuisine, Organic Bistro, Peas of Mind, Plum Organics, and Weight Watchers Smart Ones.
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    I'm a veggie, so take it for what it's worth. I LOOOOV the Amy's Kitchen and Sweet Earth ones that you can find at Target.
  • ChristineCoen
    ChristineCoen Posts: 16 Member
    Checkout Icon meals and Bite Meals. These are 2 companies I know of who cater to bodybuilders and the fitness industry. The meals they create are frozen and shipped to you, but you can either customize the macros or choose meals that fit into your plan. Both are pretty tasty! Hope this helps! - Christine Coen
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm not low carb (no medical issues for me) - but I look for the meals that are highest protein. Because they are not the most filling, I add a serving of veggies & "dessert" is a piece of fruit. That gets me plenty of fiber.

Check the websites for info - Lean Cuisine is especially user friendly.....I can select different criteria to filter by

Protein: https://www.leancuisine.com/products/search?productFilters=Group_130

Healthy Choice Steamers are a favorite right now.

If you want to venture into making your own freezer meals, start with breakfast. I bake 9 eggs+9 egg whites in a 9" square pan. Then I freeze portions in a zip-lock baggie with a piece of Canadian bacon. I place a portion in the fridge (to thaw) the night before. In the a.m. I pop a high fiber English muffin in the toaster, warm the eggs in the microwave, slap on a piece of 2% cheese.....high fiber, (almost) double protein, lower fat, egg McMuffin.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I cook, portion and freeze. Voila - freezer meals that I actually really like because I make what I want.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    I frozen meals help you get to your weight loss goals, there is nothing wrong with them. They are not unhealthy. Now, certain ones *can* be unhealthy such as Hungry Man, Marie Callender's, etc, but Lean Cuisines, Smart Made, Smart Ones, etc. aren't bad at all. One of those meals, generally has less sodium than a serving of canned soup.

I have been buying the Luvo frozen meals (available at Wegman's, Safeway, and other places). Kind of pricey but the food tastes a bit more "real" to me than the Lean Cuisines I was eating. It comes in box, and within in a paper bag so somewhat environmentally friendly.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

These are not necessities for losing weight. But I realize a criteria or two may or may not be medical necessities for you. I try to eat "better" while losing weight. So my criteria is simple because I don't have medical issues - meet protein - get plenty of fiber.

If you don't have medical issues it's probably best to prioritize. Dietary fat doesn't make us fat - too many calories do. Most low carbers eat a pretty fair portion of fat calories. It's going to be very hard (impossible?) meeting calorie goals on a high protein, low carb, low fat diet....

Find some dietary changes that you can live with VERY long term. Losing weight is just the first step. Keeping the weight off requires lifestyle changes. If low carb isn't a medical necessity, or something you want to do forever, then it's likely not a good weight loss strategy.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Take a look at the nutrition info and just try a few that match your goals calorie/protein/fat/etc-wise. You'll find some you like. There's nothing wrong with them, they are just prepared meals that are frozen for convenience.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Some great ones, some not so great ones, both in terms of nutrition and taste :-)

I am not a big frozen meal person, it just never feels like enough food for me, I end up wanting to knaw my own arm off halfway through the afternoon.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Luvo has some lower sodium options, if that is a concern. Also I know Atkins makes frozen meals as well if you want/need low carb. I'm a Lean Cuisine fan as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

By their nature, they're all heavily processed. They are all pretty much sodium bombs. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that...I personally have to watch sodium though as I am hypertensive. I can't eat those things with any regularity...which is ok because I don't really like them.

They can be an easy and convenient way to eat while watching calories.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I don't personally find them filling enough but the Lean Cuisine and Michelina's (they make a lighter version that escapes my mind rn) are decent. You could meal prep yourself once a week if you'd rather avoid the frozen meals. I find sweet potatoes and green beans keep well as a side. I've kept salmon with that for 5 days before.
  • cuadrado12
    cuadrado12 Posts: 43 Member
    I don't think that frozen dinners are necessarily always bad but you definitely have to check out the ingredient label. I feel like a lot of them have a ton of sodium and way too many weird ingredients, so that's my main issue with them.

My favorite frozen dinner is a mixed shrimp and vegetable stir fry from trader joe's. It has a good amount of protein, is low in sodium and doesn't have a ton of odd ingredients. I like to pair it with brown rice, although I know you mentioned that you were looking for low carb.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I love many Lean Cuisines. Also Weight Watchers Smart Ones but I prefer Lean Cuisines. The only thing to watch is your sodium intake.

I'm sure someone will come in and say "Oh make your own it is cheaper and healthier"...sure it may be but it is also a pain. I like my LCs and have one almost every day. :)

Yep, I still eat Lean Cuisines every week, even though I'm in maintenance now, because I love the taste and convenience of them. They're also a good base -I add a bag of vegetables and a can of chicken to them for a filling meal :)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2017
    My favorite frozen meals right now:

wwy7luwncx1d.jpg

I have breakfast sandwich every morning and my evening meal most days is a Lean Cuisine with a whole bag of steam-in-bag veggies.

The frozen meals are high in sodium but I cut sodium elsewhere, for example by using unsalted butter.
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    I use Atkins frozen meals, lean cuisine and others as back-up.

It's best to just cook your own food and freeze it into plastic trays.