I don't like Vegetables!

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Meh. I don't like most so I just pick the ones I like and eat them. Pretty much raw peas, carrots, celery, cucumbers, and the odd salad. Cooked I only really like peppers. I'm far too old to be fussed with learning to like new things. And I'd rather focus on hitting my calorie goals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    edited March 2017
    It's both taste & texture. I don't mind tomato sauce, but I don't like tomatoes in any form, whole, diced, sliced, cooked, nada!!

I like lots of vegetables, and am an avid gardener, but the only way I like tomatoes is canned sauce or when they are canned and petite diced.

Try other veggies in new forms. Lots of people rave about roasting vegetables, and now is a good time of year to try that. (Assuming you are sufficiently north of the equator.)

I like kale and eat it many ways but it is the least kale-like in a smoothie. Many leafy greens work well in smoothies. The only way I like Swiss chard raw is in a smoothie or if they are baby greens with other greens in a salad.

I find canned cream corn to be vile but like cream and corn so make my own creamed corn.

Like we say in yoga, 80 postures; 1,000 variations :)

Do try getting a nicely illustrated vegetable cookbook from the library and have fun experimenting.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Good advice above. I'll add...

Sometimes I only like certain vegetables with specific food combinations. For example, I'm not a huge broccoli fan but I do love steamed broccoli with Farro. It's the flavor and crunch combo.

Also, to expand on some of the above, I find that quality matters. I eat almost 0 veggies out of the can. I disliked quite a few veggies until I tried them fresh (cooked), and as others mentioned, cooked well.

That said, you don't have to like everything, I still can't do brussel sprouts :s
  • briskioh
    briskioh Posts: 9 Member
    Fellow veggie hater.

I've recently realized that I really like zuccini when I sautee it with lemon. Also, riced cauliflower. You can season it however you like.
  • chelsea94renee
    chelsea94renee Posts: 11 Member
    I appreciate all of the advice given! In the coming weeks I'm gonna try all different kinds, prepared different ways hopefully I'll find a few new favorites. I ate a mushroom tonight, didn't like the texture! But they were whole, maybe I'll try them cut in smaller portions next time! You all are awesome <3
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    My trick is to sauce em' up.

I buy mixed frozen veggies from Coscto. They are good and I don't have to learn to pick and store veggies. Just steam and use.

Tonight I'm just adding spaghetti sauce on top. They are also good with a curry or just to add some bulk to any soup you already have.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    A sense of adventure really helps. I still don't like mushrooms.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    As we told our kids, you need to taste something 25 times before your tastebuds get used to it and you can learn to like it...so really just keep trying.

P.S. I don't know whether it's true or not but they both like Brussels sprouts now...so long as they're cooked in bacon ;)
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    I'm not overly fond of them either, but I have found a few ways to sneak more in. I do like salsa (even though I can't stand onions, tomatoes or peppers, weird, I know). I don't like cooked spinach, but tossing some fresh raw leaves in a salad or on a sandwich is good. You can sneak a little avacado into your ranch dressing, and wont taste it, but gets you a few more good nutrients. I recently started using spaghetti squash instead of noodles. I will admit i was quite hesitant to try this, but WOW, I prefer it now. I do think that how you cook it counts. I find eating raw vegetables is much tastier than cooked ones.
  • kellysmith410
    kellysmith410 Posts: 58 Member
    Fellow veggie hater here - I like to get my veggies in my by blending spinach into a smoothie, or purée-omg cauliflower in my blender with some olive oil. Or getting brocccoli or cauliflower crumbles and mixing them in with some ground turkey and marinara sauce. Honestly, a lot of veggies I just had to force myself to eat until I learned to like them. I also experimented with new ways of cooking them, and I've found I love roasting veggies and especially finishing them off with some broiling to make them crispy (mushy veggies are my worst nightmare).

Just try different things until you find a way you can eat them that you don't hate! For me a lot of the time that means hiding them :)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited March 2017
    I wish I could help but I love veggies. It might be a generational thing. I'm somewhat (read:very) old.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2017
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think it's worth learning to like vegetables, and would recommend experimenting with a wide variety of them and trying new cooking methods. A good vegetable cookbook like Greene on Greens (not just greens) or Barbara Kafka's Vegetable Love or any of the millions of farmer's market or seasonal cooking themed ones (I like lots of photos, as that tends to get me excited to try something), can help. Or a good website (there are many others) is 101cookbooks.com.

You don't need vegetables to lose weight, but I am someone who thinks they are important for nutrition and people can learn to like them (and often don't because they haven't had them cooked the most appealing and easy to like ways).

I think it's totally worth learning to like vegetables as well. Not just for the number on the scale.
    Nutrient dense foods *are* important for the long run.

Try the books above.
    Ask friends over for a potluck and ask them each to bring a veg
    try a new veg (not just french fries) as a side to entrees when you go out.

I was raised on a few select, bad vegetables. One day I made the decision to change. Now 15 years later I LOVE vegetables and believe eating them, lots, has helped me maintain all these years.

If you are, or plan to be a parent, it's worth the investment learning to love vegetables.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Twice baked potatos...
    Steamed cauliflower mashed and mixed in with the insides of a baked potato, garlic salt and butter.
    Scoop mixture back in potato skins, add crumbled bacon and cheese. Bake until cheese melted.

I also melted cheese over broccoli or used ranch dressing to get my kids to eat their vegetables.

My kids ate salads with all kinds of veggies at a very young and grated cheese and ranch was the key:).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    My veggie hating dd eats them if they are in a sauce or soup. Otherwise she eats fruit.
    Try some different cooking methods, lemon juice, lime juice, spices. Try pureeing them and adding them to foods.
    Try vegetables you haven't had before.
    Some vegetables are more bland like zucchini or cauliflower. With a sauce or coating they don't have much vegetable flavor coming through.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    I put a whole yellow squash, grated fine, in the mac and cheese for the grands. They loved it. They will drink a green smoothie as long as there is some banana in it for sweetness. Mashed butternut will hide in many things. I called broccoli 'trees' and peas 'little basketballs' for my kids, but I'm afraid the dog still ate quite a few under the table.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    I wasn't much of a veggie or bean fan about a year ago so I signed up for Hello Fresh and made a deal with myself that I would try everything once (except eggplant and celery, which I know I hate). They just send you the recipes and ingredients so I didn't have any control over what they were sending. I wouldn't go hear a roasted pepper, raw onion, or brussels sprouts. Now I love them, in fact I have learned to like most veggies (still no eggplant or celery). It also helped that I learned how to cook them properly in the process. The moral of the story, is just try prepping them a few different ways, and with different meals, and you will probably find some veggies that agree with you.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    A sense of adventure really helps.

This ^.

I like most vegetables. Grew up eating them as main courses, not as sides to meat, seafood as most people luxuriously can afford.

It also helps a lot to keep in mind that meat and seafood taste predictably the same whereas veggies vary greatly. Veggies are infinitely more wholesome than animal parts.

The US is blessed with so many different peoples who bring in a great variety of vegetables. I love going to different markets and finding strange plants and stuff.
  • NoirePanda811
    NoirePanda811 Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2017
    Soups tend to be pretty good at hiding veggies, such as PW's Potato Soup, or a Tomato Basil Bisque, both of which are pureed, hiding the stuff I hate, like crunchy onions.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I am a vegetable *kitten*. The more vegetables, the better.