What's the point

Options
I'm pretty sure a lot of you feel this way too. I've been training hard at the gym for a month now, and I've been eating smarter and eating less. And after all this you'd think I'd at least lose 1 lousy pound right? WRONG! I've gained 10 pounds since I started! My thighs are getting so big that my pants are ripping at the inseams! Thinking about throwing in the towel and cutting my losses.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Have you set up MFP with your stats? Are you weighing and logging everything you eat/drink? Are you weighing yourself consistently?

Weight loss is so simple it's almost stupid simple, but it's not foolproof, you have to know what you are doing.

Decreasing waist and increasing thighs are usually signs of improving shape/health, though.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining then you are eating more than you think. Weigh your food and log everything you consume. you need a calorie deficit to lose. Some of this could also be water weight from new activity, but not all of it.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Op what you're currently doing isn't working out for you. Try something different also other users asked some good questions.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    You need to know how much (quantitatively) you eat. That way only you can know that you are eating less calories than you burn.
    Just eating 'less' might not (and apparently it does not) help. Less than what? How much less (quantitatively and not qualitatively as in 'smarter')?

Get a scale, weigh all your food and log it in the diary here. Stop wasting your time in the unknowns. Like crzycatlady1 said above, weightloss is very streightforward.
  • Rawr619
    Rawr619 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    1. Are you weighing your food with a food scale? If not, get a scale and start weighing to the gram.

2. Are you eating back all of your exercise calories? Myfitnesspal notoriously overestimates exercise calories, try eating back half instead of all.

3. What is your height and weight? Calorie goal?

• LittleLionGirl1304
    LittleLionGirl1304 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    sychun1304 wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be asking the same question. Have I been eating less? Yes. I keep a food journal and I record everything I eat, and I log all my runs/excercise with MapMyRun. I feel like you guys are accusing me of lying about what I eat. So why don't you just come right out and say it. If I had been eating like a pig then yeah. I would understand why I'm not losing weight, and wouldn't have bothered to make a post. but what the hell. I'm following the "move more eat less" motto and all I've done is gain. Am I doing the wrong workouts? I usually do 20 mins of high intensity elliptical, 10 mins of stairs, and 20 mins of high intensity rowing in a day, then I go to work where I'm on my feet all day. Am I doing the wrong things at the gym? I don't want gains, I don't want to bulk up. I just want to slim down. Don't get me wrong. I like seeing my muscles more prominant, but I also don't want to keep gaining. My legs and thighs are getting really bulky. Is it from the cardio?

Lay off the "you're probably eating like a cow" comments okay? It's already been asked 5+ times and the answer is no. If you don't have anything helpful and nonsarcastic to add, please do me a favor and unfollow this post.

Wow chill. Nobody said or even implied that.

They asked if you are weighing your food in grams. And you haven't answered. They also asked if you are eating back exercise calories and you haven't answered.

Also are you female? Because I gain 6lbs at the TOM. It drops off the following week.

Yeah, I am a girl actually. I'm used to my weight fluctuating during ny TOM but it always goes back down and this time it went back down but I've been steadily gaining weight.

And Okay so maybe I overreacted a little but it's frustrating to see 5+ people all accusing me of the same thing over and over. And as a human being, I can sense a sarcastic tone in people replies. Such as "exercising doesn't mean didly... etc" it's rude and unnecessary especially when it's the 4th 5th or 6th time it's been asked.
  • LittleLionGirl1304
    Options
    3cinkxlnrhzw.jpg

Sometimes I unexpectedly lose weight just out of the blue (usually around 10 pounds-ish) when I'm not trying to. But other times i just gain weight without changing my diet (usually around 5-10pounds). I've been wanting to bring up a possible hormonal imbalance but it just seems so convenient. It seems like "thyroid problems" are the go to excuse for not losing weight and I really don't want to be one of those people.
  • LittleLionGirl1304
    Options
    Everyone seems to be asking the same question. Have I been eating less? Yes. I keep a food journal and I record everything I eat, and I log all my runs/excercise with MapMyRun. I feel like you guys are accusing me of lying about what I eat. So why don't you just come right out and say it. If I had been eating like a pig then yeah. I would understand why I'm not losing weight, and wouldn't have bothered to make a post. but what the hell. I'm following the "move more eat less" motto and all I've done is gain. Am I doing the wrong workouts? I usually do 20 mins of high intensity elliptical, 10 mins of stairs, and 20 mins of high intensity rowing in a day, then I go to work where I'm on my feet all day. Am I doing the wrong things at the gym? I don't want gains, I don't want to bulk up. I just want to slim down. Don't get me wrong. I like seeing my muscles more prominant, but I also don't want to keep gaining. My legs and thighs are getting really bulky. Is it from the cardio?

Lay off the "you're probably eating like a cow" comments okay? It's already been asked 5+ times and the answer is no. If you don't have anything helpful and nonsarcastic to add, please do me a favor and unfollow this post.

Wow chill. Nobody said or even implied that.

They asked if you are weighing your food in grams. And you haven't answered. They also asked if you are eating back exercise calories and you haven't answered.

Also are you female? Because I gain 6lbs at the TOM. It drops off the following week.

Yeah, I am a girl actually. I'm used to my weight fluctuating during ny TOM but it always goes back down and this time it went back down but I've been steadily gaining weight.

And Okay so maybe I overreacted a little but it's frustrating to see 5+ people all accusing me of the same thing over and over. And as a human being, I can sense a sarcastic tone in people replies. Such as "exercising doesn't mean didly... etc" it's rude and unnecessary especially when it's the 4th 5th or 6th time it's been asked.

open your diary

? What do you mean?

• Fat_Fighter87
    Fat_Fighter87 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    How do your clothes fit, are they looser in some areas? How do you look do you feel slimmer? It sounds like you're doing a lot of exercise that work the legs, the stairs in particular will do that. What about mixing some of your workouts up a bit, try a zumba or fitness class or boxfit to work the upper body more?

Also do you suffer with bloat? I have IBS and certain foods bloat me more then others (seriously some times I have people asking me if I'm pregnant, it's so embarrassing!)

There are so many factors that the scale doesn't account for it's crazy, I know how you feel though I've been going through similar. It is frustrating, don't throw in the towel though maybe try something different like more protein lower carbs, I'm not a nutritionist but I'm sure I heard that high carbs + exercise bulk you up. Correct me if I'm wrong people!