March- Hula Hoop Challenge

Options

Replies

• 30lbslightergoal
    30lbslightergoal Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would love to join you. I haven't used my hoop in a long time. I can only do 2-3 minutes. It's 3.3 LBS, it hurts my hips.

I've always experienced the same thing after not hooping for a long time. I do what I can and add 30 seconds each day. Eventually (once it stops hurting) I add 1 minute each day. Hope this helps
  • Michellelynn219
    Michellelynn219 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would love to join you. I haven't used my hoop in a long time. I can only do 2-3 minutes. It's 3.3 LBS, it hurts my hips.

I've always experienced the same thing after not hooping for a long time. I do what I can and add 30 seconds each day. Eventually (once it stops hurting) I add 1 minute each day. Hope this helps

Thank you! I will give it a go again starting tomorrow.
  • tambur8
    tambur8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a quick question for everyone that is hoping to lose inches in this challenge. Are you also doing other forms of exercises as well or just hooping this month?
  • 30lbslightergoal
    30lbslightergoal Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    tambur8 wrote: »
    I have a quick question for everyone that is hoping to lose inches in this challenge. Are you also doing other forms of exercises as well or just hooping this month?

I just started to go to the gym and I can't hoop for very long so I still plan on doing my cardio
  • Michellelynn219
    Options

I weight train 3 times a week, cardio the other 4.
  • tambur8
    Options
    3/5 40 mins I have a Polar A360 fitness band and I tracked as aerobics and only got 150 cals (I was sweating but my feet weren't moving alot so maybe that is why such a low cal count?). ValleyHooper what band do you have and do you have to pick an activity before it starts tracking?
  • Michellelynn219
    Options
    I got in 2 minutes of hooping. It hurt my hips and I had to take a break in between minutes, lol, but I DID IT :) I have a neoprene waist belt, i'm going to try wearing it tomorrow for extra padding. Hopefully it helps.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    My Hoop should arrive in the mail today! I look forward to posting daily
  • ValleyHooper
    ValleyHooper Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    3/5 40 mins I have a Polar A360 fitness band and I tracked as aerobics and only got 150 cals (I was sweating but my feet weren't moving alot so maybe that is why such a low cal count?). ValleyHooper what band do you have and do you have to pick an activity before it starts tracking?

I use Polar Loop. I also wear the heart rate sensor strapped around my chest so I can monitor my heart rate.
  • 49Elle
    49Elle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    @valleyhooper a bit more information about the Polar Loop for those of us that are considering this exercise as an option would be helpful.
    Do you recommend a weighted hoop, an excercise hoop with waves?? A foam covered one ???Since I first saw your invite to join Hooping I have done some reading and like everything there is a host of choices.

From what @michellelynn219 says is not uncommon from what I have read... and @30lbslightergoal has confirmed - that they get bruised from the hoop. And even a neoprene belt is mentioned,

Disappointed you ignored my earlier message. Don't see much point in your starting a group if you don't support interest and perhaps ignorant inquiries like mine initially... thats how people learn by experienced people sharing their knowledge and how you inspire a community!

• ValleyHooper
    Options
    12dream wrote: »
    @valleyhooper a bit more information about the Polar Loop for those of us that are considering this exercise as an option would be helpful.
    Do you recommend a weighted hoop, an excercise hoop with waves?? A foam covered one ???Since I first saw your invite to join Hooping I have done some reading and like everything there is a host of choices.

From what @michellelynn219 says is not uncommon from what I have read... and @30lbslightergoal has confirmed - that they get bruised from the hoop. And even a neoprene belt is mentioned,

Disappointed you ignored my earlier message. Don't see much point in your starting a group if you don't support interest and perhaps ignorant inquiries like mine initially... thats how people learn by experienced people sharing their knowledge and how you inspire a community!

It all depends on what you want to do with the hoop. Do you plan to walk/dance around? If so get a lighter hoop. If you want a weighted hoop and you are new to it, I wouldn't go more than 10 mins until you get used to it. Yes, I already mentioned you can bruise, but that will just be when you first start. Your body will toughen up. I was bruised when I first started as well. As far as the polar loop I have no clue what info you want? Stay away from the weighted hoops that have waves. Mine is just foam padded all the way around and smooth. Just do you research prior to getting your hoop. You want a hoop that will fit your fitness needs and make sure it's the correct size for your height and weight. I have a weighted and light hoop. I posted a link showing what I had. The light hoop I use for hoop dancing, and attempting tricks. I also mentioned that no I am not experienced. I have hooped on and off for over a year. I am also not ignoring anyone. I have been sick recently and do not always notice if tagged on here. It would be easier to send me a message that way I see it right away.
  • Michellelynn219
    Options
    My hoop has waves no wonder it kills me! I didn't know they made them without. I bought mine in 2008. I feel sick to my stomach when it hits my sides. I wonder if I could get a cover for it or perhaps my husband could make something to cover it like the foam covers used for insulating heating pipes...hmmmm...
  • ValleyHooper
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's easy to make your own hoop and not too expensive either. There are tons of great tutorials on various sites. I am sure you and your husband can create one to fit your needs. I am sorry you are so sore. I never went with the wavy hoops because it looked so uncomfortable. I just ordered another hoop from Amazon. I will let you guys know how I like it after it gets here and I have tried it out.

Here is what I ordered....
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXWQ1YY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • 49Elle
    49Elle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    @valleyhooper thankyou for your response
    I'm sorry to hear you have been ill.

I have ordered my weighted hoop without waves designed for excercise. It is 106cm or nearly 42 inches.
    I am tall..nearly 5'10" and over 200lb so a long way to go.
    Looking forward to slowly building up to being able to hoop for a good amount of time. But I think I will be getting a lot of bending excercises over the next few weeks!
  • pudgy1977
    Options
    Tried my hoop last night....let's just say, I am going to need some practice.
  • ktloo
    ktloo Posts: 90 Member
    Options

3/3 - 10 minutes
    3/7 - 12 minutes
    3/8 - 15 minutes
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    Tried my hoop last night....let's just say, I am going to need some practice.

i got my hoop in the mail last week, i've practiced about 3 hours so far in some shorter and one super long session. i've never hooped before and as of yesterday my record is 50 rotations before it drops. i keep thinking it's going to get easier and obviously there's been some improvement from the three rotations i started with (that's how long it takes for the hoop to hit the floor while i do everything wrong lol).

i have to take a break from it next week post-op, but i am wondering how long it took for people to be able to keep the hoop going consistently. those 50 rotations were awesome but came in the middle of a session where i struggled to get it around 10 times in 99/100 tries.
  • pudgy1977
    Options
    Hooped for 5 min today. Loooonnngggg way to go butbhad tons of fun. The kids loved it and my mom even tried
  • tambur8
    Options
    I have not been very good at posting. I have hooped all but 2 days since I joined the challenge and I hoop for at least 30 mins. My sides don't hurt at all now
  • pudgy1977
    Options
    I did get in a few hoops this weekend, but I am still trying to master it. I can definitely feel it in my sides!