Sugar addiction

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    LPflaum wrote: »
    Just remember that artificial sweeteners tend to cause the same reactions in the body as sugar does, then, when there isn't any sugar it freaks out and craves more. This is coming from another sugar addict btw. Sugar is one of the things I'm tracking on MFP because I need to get that monkey off my back before it kills me. About to have to start medications for being pre-diabetic and I have NO desire to live my life like that. Personally, I've found that when I have a craving its best to have something small and sweet. If you wait, the craving only gets worse and that's when a binge is possible. I've been known to eat a full half pound bag of M&M's or a half gallon of ice cream within a day or two. Do what you can control.

Source please.

I think the appropriate way to phrase this was MAY cause the same reactions.
    https://source.wustl.edu/2013/05/artificial-sweeteners-may-do-more-than-sweeten/ - small sample size, needs more research
    https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2014/10/07/taking-a-new-look-at-artificial-sweeteners/ - Mouse model study. The mice that drank saccharin sweetened water developed glucose intolerance, the sugar water mice did not. We need a human trial now.

From my own (human) experience-my prediabetic glucose numbers normalized while drinking diet soda.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    How about general food addiction vs. simply a sugar addiction. It all comes down to food and maybe if you educate yourself on the science and/or biology behind it, you'll have a better understanding and will be better prepared to eliminate it.

Food addiction is essentially no different than drug addiction. Certain foods, especially those whose calories are absorbed very rapidly, signal the reward centers of the brain, causing dopamine to be released as these foods are eaten. The trouble-causing foods include:

•Processed/refined foods, especially sweets
    •High-fat foods or other high-calorie foods, such as fried food
    •Excessive salt
    •Higher-fat animal products

Although dopamine is involved in many processes in the body, it also gives you a feeling of euphoria or a “high.” Just as addictive drugs, that can give you a “high,” the euphoria of dopamine is short-lived and can be followed by a “low” that causes depression, lack of pleasure, fatigue, and difficulty concentrating.

In addition to the effects addictive foods have on brain neurotransmitters, the build-up of metabolic wastes from eating unhealthful foods also complicates and contributes to addictive overeating. This is because withdrawal discomfort from metabolic toxins occurs in the non-feeding, non-digestive state, driving unhealthful eaters to eat too frequently to quell ill feelings, particularly fatigue, headache, and stomach cramping.

It is physically painful to stop smoking, drinking, and eating unhealthy foods. The feelings of shakiness, nausea, headaches, stomach cramping, fatigue, and uneasiness that make people feel they have to eat something are the result of detoxification symptoms from eating unhealthful food.

To conquer food addiction permanently, you must avoid highly flavored and calorically concentrated processed foods. You need to flood the body with high-nutrient foods to normalize detoxification channels.

When we experience this variety of neurologic and metabolic side effects from eating unhealthy foods, it can create unfavorable symptoms, such as:

•Anxiety
    •Impaired emotions and thoughts
    •Impulsiveness
    •Aggression
    •Compulsiveness
    •Lack of self-control

Food addiction fuels our nation’s health care crisis and obesity epidemic. The answer to keeping our natural potential for food addiction under control is to eat more natural, whole plant foods. Adopting a Nutritarian diet-style allows for a comfortable, and satisfied feeling, yet avoids the extreme “highs” and “lows” of low-micronutrient eating. This allows us to enjoy our food when we eat it, and then later have the ability to enjoy other parts of our lives, without being distracted by the effects of food addiction and its associated ill feelings.

Low-nutrient, high-glycemic foods are also associated with depressed mood, making life more difficult for the food addict. Abstaining from unhealthy, addictive foods is hard at first, but doing so brings tremendous benefits.
  • dmwh142
    dmwh142 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    As a fellow sugar addict I can tell you what works for me but please realize everyone in different and you have to find what works for you. I have to go cold turkey when I want to cut out sugar. It is like crack to me. I drink one or two diet sodas a day. I don't see a problem with that. There is a soda that is made with stevia, which is a natural no calorie sweetener, the name of it is Zevia. I don't use it but I do use stevia to sweeten anything I sweeten myself. There are also some really good sugar free candies. Of course they can cause really bad gas but can be eaten in moderation. I keep some Atkins candies in my house and I also like Brach's sugar free butterscotch disk, they only have 35 calories for three of them which can often satisfy my sweet tooth for the entire day. I wish you luck in getting control.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    How about general food addiction vs. simply a sugar addiction. It all comes down to food and maybe if you educate yourself on the science and/or biology behind it, you'll have a better understanding and will be better prepared to eliminate it.

Food addiction is essentially no different than drug addiction. Certain foods, especially those whose calories are absorbed very rapidly, signal the reward centers of the brain, causing dopamine to be released as these foods are eaten. The trouble-causing foods include:

•Excessive salt

Although dopamine is involved in many processes in the body, it also gives you a feeling of euphoria or a “high.” Just as addictive drugs, that can give you a “high,” the euphoria of dopamine is short-lived and can be followed by a “low” that causes depression, lack of pleasure, fatigue, and difficulty concentrating.

In addition to the effects addictive foods have on brain neurotransmitters, the build-up of metabolic wastes from eating unhealthful foods also complicates and contributes to addictive overeating. This is because withdrawal discomfort from metabolic toxins occurs in the non-feeding, non-digestive state, driving unhealthful eaters to eat too frequently to quell ill feelings, particularly fatigue, headache, and stomach cramping.

It is physically painful to stop smoking, drinking, and eating unhealthy foods. The feelings of shakiness, nausea, headaches, stomach cramping, fatigue, and uneasiness that make people feel they have to eat something are the result of detoxification symptoms from eating unhealthful food.

To conquer food addiction permanently, you must avoid highly flavored and calorically concentrated processed foods. You need to flood the body with high-nutrient foods to normalize detoxification channels.

When we experience this variety of neurologic and metabolic side effects from eating unhealthy foods, it can create unfavorable symptoms, such as:

•Anxiety
    •Impulsiveness
    •Aggression
    •Compulsiveness
    •Lack of self-control

Food addiction fuels our nation’s health care crisis and obesity epidemic. The answer to keeping our natural potential for food addiction under control is to eat more natural, whole plant foods. Adopting a Nutritarian diet-style allows for a comfortable, and satisfied feeling, yet avoids the extreme “highs” and “lows” of low-micronutrient eating. This allows us to enjoy our food when we eat it, and then later have the ability to enjoy other parts of our lives, without being distracted by the effects of food addiction and its associated ill feelings.

Low-nutrient, high-glycemic foods are also associated with depressed mood, making life more difficult for the food addict. Abstaining from unhealthy, addictive foods is hard at first, but doing so brings tremendous benefits.

So you're saying there is french fry or mac & cheese (neither of which is inherent "unhealthy") withdrawal?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »

•Excessive salt

•Anxiety
    •Impulsiveness
    •Aggression
    •Compulsiveness
    •Lack of self-control

So you're saying there is french fry or mac & cheese (neither of which is inherent "unhealthy") withdrawal?

She's quoting someone else.

I want to know what the metabolic toxins are, but that's derailing the thread.

I'm glad the OP is going to follow the good advice from lemurcat12.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Not trying to derail the thread and sorry I forgot to site my source. Just giving a different perspective. Addiction is addiction and sugar is a food so just opening the door to other schools of thought on the matter. And no, Amyepdx, I am not saying that any food is healthy or unhealthy but by now I think we all know what's good for us and what's not. I don't think losing weight has anything to do with food choice, rather it has everything to do with food amount. My opinion only. But sugar addiction (food addiction) is another animal :smile: If you research the article and other sources it's clear that there is such a thing as physical and mental withdrawal symptoms from eliminating toxins and chemicals and other things like that... including alcohol, tobacco, etc. I don't think it's the specific food but what's in the food that creates the addiction and withdrawal.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options

•Excessive salt

•Anxiety
    •Impulsiveness
    •Aggression
    •Compulsiveness
    •Lack of self-control

When you quote some diet guru (endorsed by Dr. Oz, even!) with an agenda, it's customary to quote your source:

https://www.drfuhrman.com/learn/health-concerns/70/food-addiction

Thanks Gottaburnemall! I forgot to quote the source, my bad. :smile:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Not trying to derail the thread and sorry I forgot to site my source. Just giving a different perspective. Addiction is addiction and sugar is a food so just opening the door to other schools of thought on the matter. And no, Amyepdx, I am not saying that any food is healthy or unhealthy but by now I think we all know what's good for us and what's not. I don't think losing weight has anything to do with food choice, rather it has everything to do with food amount. My opinion only. But sugar addiction (food addiction) is another animal :smile: If you research the article and other sources it's clear that there is such a thing as physical and mental withdrawal symptoms from eliminating toxins and chemicals and other things like that... including alcohol, tobacco, etc. I don't think it's the specific food but what's in the food that creates the addiction and withdrawal.

Come to the debate section, to Food Addiction - A Different Perspective. I'd love to hear what specifically is in food that you think is "toxic" and addictive.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options

Come to the debate section, to Food Addiction - A Different Perspective. I'd love to hear what specifically is in food that you think is "toxic" and addictive.

Cool thanks! :smile: I will!!

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

•Excessive salt

•Anxiety
    •Impulsiveness
    •Aggression
    •Compulsiveness
    •Lack of self-control

No, she's not saying that. The quack she plagiarized is though.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

•Excessive salt

•Anxiety
    •Impulsiveness
    •Aggression
    •Compulsiveness
    •Lack of self-control

First of all, if you bothered to actually read, and not just skim responses, you would see that clearly I did not plagiarize and was quick to respond with regard to forgetting to add the source. Second, just because one has an opinion that's different from yours does not make them a quack. People who are strong, intelligent and caring have an open mind and tend to lift one another up, not bring each other down. I am glad I know which side of that fence you're on. Have a glorious day :smile:
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    OP - I apologize if your discussion has become derailed by the article excerpt I posted. That was not my intention. Carry on :smiley:
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I quit added sugars cold turkey but made sure to have a natural sugar with each meal (fruit and unsweetened cocoa powder in a green smoothie, Lara bars fruit + greens or a date roll with some veggies as a snack, cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread with natural peanut butter sliced bananas and a small drizzle of honey for lunch, strawberry spinach salad with dinner and then one square of 70% dark chocolate a couple of times a week). I did that for a week or two then started reducing the amount of fruit I was eating to about 2 serving a day and upped the veggies. It's been almost 2 months now and I am down 12-15 lbs and don't have cravings anymore and it is pretty easy not to eat the candy and stuff that is being offered. Had a single bite of triple chocolate cake today and really had no desire for more. In the past I would have easily put away 2 large servings and then if no one was watching possibly gone for a 3rd.
    Feel free to friend me so you can see me food diary for ideas and I post recipes pretty often too.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options

•Excessive salt

•Anxiety
    •Impulsiveness
    •Aggression
    •Compulsiveness
    •Lack of self-control

First of all, if you bothered to actually read, and not just skim responses, you would see that clearly I did not plagiarize and was quick to respond with regard to forgetting to add the source. Second, just because one has an opinion that's different from yours does not make them a quack. People who are strong, intelligent and caring have an open mind and tend to lift one another up, not bring each other down. I am glad I know which side of that fence you're on. Have a glorious day :smile:

You're response was not there when I was typing mine so I offer my apologies.

But yes, he's a quack.
    Different opinions make individuals. Different facts make quacks.

No problem.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

• BoxerBrawler
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

•Excessive salt

•Anxiety
    •Impulsiveness
    •Aggression
    •Compulsiveness
    •Lack of self-control

But yes, he's a quack.

No problem.

But they are not entitled to their own facts.

What the actual F does this even mean? Like, why would even put this here? It has no bearing what so ever on the original post or conversation that followed... really? I can't even....

• jacobsl221
    jacobsl221 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just got all of the sugary things out of the house. I now have things like cottage cheese with cinnamon and sweet and low, gives the sweet taste and extra protein. Also fresh strawberries with sweet and low on them. I used to eat big bags of M and Ms also. I used to buy Snickers by the case at Sams and hide them around the house. I understand sugar addiction. My cravings went away after awhile.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

•Excessive salt

•Anxiety
    •Impulsiveness
    •Aggression
    •Compulsiveness
    •Lack of self-control

But yes, he's a quack.

No problem.

But they are not entitled to their own facts.

What the actual F does this even mean? Like, why would even put this here? It has no bearing what so ever on the original post or conversation that followed... really? I can't even....

It kind of does. You made a lot of fact claims in that post. If others have reason to believe that those fact claims are false, then it isn't just a matter of differing opinions. It's a matter of correct or incorrect.

And that makes this a great time to take it over to the Debate forum!