• Truvanessa
    Truvanessa Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    T.G.I.F everyone! Have a great day!
  • carolbrady1
    carolbrady1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    tarothelp wrote: »
    You may be holding onto water. Try drinking lots of water and drinking dandelion root tea. Parsley tablets this helped my scale start moving again :) and drinking at least 3 litres of water per day
    - also cut down on salt if possible as that makes you retain more fluid

• Truvanessa
    Options
    Salt is definitely a big no-no if you are holding in water.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's better. The number on the scale can be tricky and influenced by a lot of factors. But the inches never lie!
  • Truvanessa
    Options
    Happy Hump Day!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    To people that day if your losing inches your losing weight
    Incorrect
    I lost 1 lbs but 2 dress sizes exercising lots
  • Truvanessa
    Options
    Thanks for your input.
  • Truvanessa
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone! Thanks for all your comments.
  • Truvanessa
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!
  • Truvanessa
    Options
    Happy Thursday!
  • Truvanessa
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone!
  • Truvanessa
    Options
    Happy Hump Day!
  • carolbrady1
    carolbrady1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    Inches lost means more than pounds. Pounds fluctuate daily and are not the best measure of your body composition. The focus for most people here is the scale. Most of these people will be back here again and again and again though and they will never realize that maybe their approach doesn't work even though it gets temporary results.

I used to focus on the scale and lost as fast as I could and each time I'd lose more muscle and end up with a higher percent of body fat than when I started, even though I was skinny-fat at the end. Basically I'd hit my goal weight but still have the mushy body from before, just smaller.

This time I am eating WAY more, lifting heavy and paying attention to macros. At 54 days I have only lost 7 pounds, but I've lost nearly two dress sizes and several inches from my waist, hips and thighs. My butt is starting to lift and get firm. I have more energy. I don't feel like I'm dieting at all. I feel great.

Yesterday I ate 2400 calories because I only ever eat a 500 calorie deficit and did lots of exercise. It's so much easier doing this while fueling my body the right way. I don't have cracings because I work what I want into my plan.

I do use the scale, but if it doesn't say what I want, that's okay. My clothes and tape measure tell the story and I'm getting stronger and leaner.

Agree wholeheartedly! I'm getting weighed in tonight by my pt at the gym and it would be a bonus if some more pounds had come off, but shape, strength and fitness is more the key for me :-)

• Truvanessa
    Options
    Yay!! It's the weekend!
  • missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Until I'm about at my goal weight, I'm relying on the scale. Yes, it's nice when pants seem to fit more loosely, but real muscle gain is very slow. And people can hold the tape measure tighter at times, or suck in their stomach a bit for their "after" pictures. That being said, my pants are tighter than they were when I regularly lifted but weighed about the same, and my clothes are really the best guide.

On a weekly or monthly basis, I think the scale is best, but muscle gain might account for a few pounds over longer periods of time.
  • ashleighs148
    ashleighs148 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to be 'that' person, but having seen it several times on this thread: Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Muscle is denser than fat so for a given mass, say 1kg, the muscle occupies less space in your body. Which is how a person can lose inches and but not lose mass.

eda7zygl37sp.jpg

When comparing two things like that you cannot have multiple variables and you must assume the same volume, therefore muscle weighs more than fat.
    That's like me saying what weighs more potatoes or candy floss? Oh but a pound of potatoes weighs the same as a pound of candy floss. Well obviously but 1lb wasn't mentioned that's just someone trying to be smart. To compare weight of two things they must be the same volume.
    See how ridiculous that is?
  • Iwanttolosemymummytummy
    Options
    Truvanessa wrote: »
    I was wondering if losing inches is just as good as losing weight? I have been making progress by losing inches, but my scale does not show any changes.

Me too!

I felt so discourcouraged not seeing any lbs loss on the scales after 7 weeks of exercising and reducing calories, having previously been losing roughly a lb a week not really doing anything productive to lose weight but I was steadily losing baby blubber nevertheless. I posted my frustration on here and got great advice and support. I'm losing inches and this was said to be better than lbs so this has been of great comfort to me. I decided to hide the scales for a while......I will be relying on how baggy my clothes are getting for now.