What do you wish you had known about maintaining?

Options
Hi everyone! I am down 95 pounds, 5 pounds from my goal weight, so I'm really looking forward to going into maintenance. I have been losing for over two years, so I feel confident that I know how to lose weight, but now I have to learn how to keep that weight off. What advice do you have for someone who is starting maintenance soon? What do you wish you had known when you started maintaining?

Replies

• faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Take your time, don't beat yourself up if you put on a bit to start - it will take a while to see what suits you, weigh regularly and set an upper limit and if you reach it address it then (don't leave it for another 5, 10, 20 lbs), don't go calorie crazy, keep moving. You HAVE got this. You've done amazingly so don't let it all go now.

Best of luck :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    That changing the little button to maintenance may affect you mentally more than you thought.

I initially was looking forward to it, little bit more leeway calorie wise and maybe less pressure. From day one of being in maintenance, my stress exploded! I know the science behind it all, like you, having had success and having the tools, it should have been such a positive step but I psyched myself out.

Fast forward a few weeks, no issues now, and I hope you don't experience anything similar.

Congratulations on all that you've accomplished and believe in yourself <3

I'm glad you're feeling better about it now! Was there anything that helped you become less stressed about maintaining?
  • msdemeanor70
    msdemeanor70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    have a maintenance range not one goal number.

THIS!! It seems so many get wrapped up in that one number that any variation sets them off. My weight can fluctuate 5 pounds in one day! I have a 5-pound maintenance range.

Don't panic. It will be a process to see what works for you in maintenance just as it was to find what works for you when losing. Be willing to adjust when something doesn't work, but give it time.

Don't weigh every day. However often you decide, make it consistent - same day/clothing/scale location, etc.

It was tough for me to get out of the losing mind set, so be prepared for a little stress at the beginning. But, you'll settle into your new way of life and enjoy the benefits of all the hard work you've put in over the last two years. Good luck to you!
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options

This, dont worry so much about sticking to a number, just go with a range and realize weight will fluctuate. As long as it is within your acceptable range, no reason to react/overreact.
  • apullum
    Options

How big a range would you recommend? Plus or minus two pounds? Five?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    I agree with the maintenance range. I have a +/- 2 pound range. My daily fluctuations are generally about 2 pounds. If you have higher typical fluctuations then you might want a wider range. I still weigh daily and I have no plan to stop. I think that whatever weighing schedule you had during loss is fine during maintenance. I do think it is important to weigh regularly so that you know you are in your range and you can make corrections if needed.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

How big a range would you recommend? Plus or minus two pounds? Five?

depending how much you naturally fluctuate, 4/5 pounds is usual.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    that it really isn't that dramatic, no need to panic. If you approach maintenace with the mindset that it's little like a chronic condition. You don;t just deal with it once and done. you actively manage your lifestyle to prevent issue reoccurring

That there will be some ups and tthere is really nothing dramatic, just cut down a little until back in happy range.

That if you lost slowly it's much easier to maintain

• drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    That changing the little button to maintenance may affect you mentally more than you thought.

I initially was looking forward to it, little bit more leeway calorie wise and maybe less pressure. From day one of being in maintenance, my stress exploded! I know the science behind it all, like you, having had success and having the tools, it should have been such a positive step but I psyched myself out.

Fast forward a few weeks, no issues now, and I hope you don't experience anything similar.

Congratulations on all that you've accomplished and believe in yourself <3

I'm glad you're feeling better about it now! Was there anything that helped you become less stressed about maintaining?

My mom :blush: She started this journey a few weeks after I did, and hit her goal right alongside me. She was experiencing similar fears and doubts, and then it all shifted for me. I had been the motivator for myself and then, her inspiration. I had an example to set. One of confidence, camaraderie and assurance.

Thinking of her and our mirrored feelings made me want to keep things as positive as they had been all along. So I did and now its the reality.

Thank you for asking.
  • apullum
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    I'm small enough that my "maintenance" calories are still kind of strict, and so I still FEEL like I'm working hard.

That certainly worries me too. I'm not quite 5 feet tall, so it's not like my maintenance calories are going up by some dramatic amount! So while I don't think that I'm going to just cut loose and eat everything all the time, it is a little frustrating to understand that I can never eat like I did when I weighed over 200 pounds, unless I want to be over 200 pounds again. Have you found any kind of new goals or ways to keep yourself motivated now that you don't have the same sorts of small victories that you had when you were losing?