Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    sychun1304 wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be asking the same question. Have I been eating less? Yes. I keep a food journal and I record everything I eat, and I log all my runs/excercise with MapMyRun. I feel like you guys are accusing me of lying about what I eat. So why don't you just come right out and say it. If I had been eating like a pig then yeah. I would understand why I'm not losing weight, and wouldn't have bothered to make a post. but what the hell. I'm following the "move more eat less" motto and all I've done is gain. Am I doing the wrong workouts? I usually do 20 mins of high intensity elliptical, 10 mins of stairs, and 20 mins of high intensity rowing in a day, then I go to work where I'm on my feet all day. Am I doing the wrong things at the gym? I don't want gains, I don't want to bulk up. I just want to slim down. Don't get me wrong. I like seeing my muscles more prominant, but I also don't want to keep gaining. My legs and thighs are getting really bulky. Is it from the cardio?

Lay off the "you're probably eating like a cow" comments okay? It's already been asked 5+ times and the answer is no. If you don't have anything helpful and nonsarcastic to add, please do me a favor and unfollow this post.

Wow chill. Nobody said or even implied that.

They asked if you are weighing your food in grams. And you haven't answered. They also asked if you are eating back exercise calories and you haven't answered.

Also are you female? Because I gain 6lbs at the TOM. It drops off the following week.

Yeah, I am a girl actually. I'm used to my weight fluctuating during ny TOM but it always goes back down and this time it went back down but I've been steadily gaining weight.

And Okay so maybe I overreacted a little but it's frustrating to see 5+ people all accusing me of the same thing over and over. And as a human being, I can sense a sarcastic tone in people replies. Such as "exercising doesn't mean didly... etc" it's rude and unnecessary especially when it's the 4th 5th or 6th time it's been asked.

open your diary

? What do you mean?

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/201687-how-do-i-make-my-diary-visible-to-other-users-

Here is how to do it.

It will help us spot what is going wrong so that we can help you start losing.
  • LittleLionGirl1304
    LittleLionGirl1304 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How do your clothes fit, are they looser in some areas? How do you look do you feel slimmer? It sounds like you're doing a lot of exercise that work the legs, the stairs in particular will do that. What about mixing some of your workouts up a bit, try a zumba or fitness class or boxfit to work the upper body more?

Also do you suffer with bloat? I have IBS and certain foods bloat me more then others (seriously some times I have people asking me if I'm pregnant, it's so embarrassing!)

There are so many factors that the scale doesn't account for it's crazy, I know how you feel though I've been going through similar. It is frustrating, don't throw in the towel though maybe try something different like more protein lower carbs, I'm not a nutritionist but I'm sure I heard that high carbs + exercise bulk you up. Correct me if I'm wrong people!

Well I mean, my shirts fit a lot looser in the waist now which is nice... But good god my thighs are just massive. My leggings literally don't fit anymore. It's like all my weight is migrating to my thighs and *kitten*. I've actually cut out the majority of the processed carbs I used to eat. So mostly I eat chicken or turkey breast, along with steamed veggies or beans. I just want my thighs to look less like tree trunks....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to be asking the same question. Have I been eating less? Yes. I keep a food journal and I record everything I eat, and I log all my runs/excercise with MapMyRun. I feel like you guys are accusing me of lying about what I eat. So why don't you just come right out and say it. If I had been eating like a pig then yeah. I would understand why I'm not losing weight, and wouldn't have bothered to make a post. but what the hell. I'm following the "move more eat less" motto and all I've done is gain. Am I doing the wrong workouts? I usually do 20 mins of high intensity elliptical, 10 mins of stairs, and 20 mins of high intensity rowing in a day, then I go to work where I'm on my feet all day. Am I doing the wrong things at the gym? I don't want gains, I don't want to bulk up. I just want to slim down. Don't get me wrong. I like seeing my muscles more prominant, but I also don't want to keep gaining. My legs and thighs are getting really bulky. Is it from the cardio?

Lay off the "you're probably eating like a cow" comments okay? It's already been asked 5+ times and the answer is no. If you don't have anything helpful and nonsarcastic to add, please do me a favor and unfollow this post.

They asked if you are weighing your food in grams. And you haven't answered. They also asked if you are eating back exercise calories and you haven't answered.

Also are you female? Because I gain 6lbs at the TOM. It drops off the following week.

Yeah, I am a girl actually. I'm used to my weight fluctuating during ny TOM but it always goes back down and this time it went back down but I've been steadily gaining weight.

And Okay so maybe I overreacted a little but it's frustrating to see 5+ people all accusing me of the same thing over and over. And as a human being, I can sense a sarcastic tone in people replies. Such as "exercising doesn't mean didly... etc" it's rude and unnecessary especially when it's the 4th 5th or 6th time it's been asked.

open your diary

? What do you mean?

you log your food, so make the diary open so that people can give you advice based on what you're currently eating.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    How do your clothes fit, are they looser in some areas? How do you look do you feel slimmer? It sounds like you're doing a lot of exercise that work the legs, the stairs in particular will do that. What about mixing some of your workouts up a bit, try a zumba or fitness class or boxfit to work the upper body more?

Also do you suffer with bloat? I have IBS and certain foods bloat me more then others (seriously some times I have people asking me if I'm pregnant, it's so embarrassing!)

There are so many factors that the scale doesn't account for it's crazy, I know how you feel though I've been going through similar. It is frustrating, don't throw in the towel though maybe try something different like more protein lower carbs, I'm not a nutritionist but I'm sure I heard that high carbs + exercise bulk you up. Correct me if I'm wrong people!

Well I mean, my shirts fit a lot looser in the waist now which is nice... But good god my thighs are just massive. My leggings literally don't fit anymore. It's like all my weight is migrating to my thighs and *kitten*. I've actually cut out the majority of the processed carbs I used to eat. So mostly I eat chicken or turkey breast, along with steamed veggies or beans. I just want my thighs to look less like tree trunks....

If you have recently increased the amount of leg exercise you are doing it can be water retention.

The muscles need water to help them repair.
  • LittleLionGirl1304
    Options
    mlinci wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    Just to share in the past, before I started counted calories I eat, I'd gain weight EVERY SINGLE TIME I'd step up my exercising. This is because every single time, though I was convinced I was eating less, I was actually eating more.
    It's only when I started weighing, in grams, every single thing that I ate*, that I managed to get my calorie intake in control. A year and a half down the line, I'm over 40lbs lighter.

I'd definitely recommend that you look at how precise you are with measuring your calorie intake first. Because that's by far the likeliest reason you are not losing/ are gaining weight. Even if you think that can't possibly be the case.

* I weigh food where possible. I estimate when I can't weigh, but I make sure I don't underestimate by choosing higher calorie entries when given a choice, and trying to learn what portion sizes look like.
    Hi OP,
    Just to share in the past, before I started counted calories I eat, I'd gain weight EVERY SINGLE TIME I'd step up my exercising. This is because every single time, though I was convinced I was eating less, I was actually eating more.
    It's only when I started weighing, in grams, every single thing that I ate*, that I managed to get my calorie intake in control. A year and a half down the line, I'm over 40lbs lighter.

I'd definitely recommend that you look at how precise you are with measuring your calorie intake first. Because that's by far the likeliest reason you are not losing/ are gaining weight. Even if you think that can't possibly be the case.

* I weigh food where possible. I estimate when I can't weigh, but I make sure I don't underestimate by choosing higher calorie entries when given a choice, and trying to learn what portion sizes look like.

I've been using a scale to measure food, I've steadily been cutting down 25% of what I used to eat. Is that not enough? I figured with the cardio it would be enough of a void to cut weight. Also, I've started drinking much more water than I used to. But water weight is supposed to shed after a couple weeks right?
  • LittleLionGirl1304
    Options

open your diary

? What do you mean?

you log your food, so make the diary open so that people can give you advice based on what you're currently eating.

I don't use this app for food journaling. I like to have a physical copy so I write down what I eat, and track the calories on paper so I can flip through and visually see what I've been eating (I like to make charts...yeah I know. I'm a nerd) I didn't know other members can even see other members food journals here. I'll start logging it in here tomorrow then. It would be nice to have some advice on meals and meal prep.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    and seriously, i got flagged for saying 'open your diary'... :huh: :noway:

Some one surely pressed the button in error :D
  • LittleLionGirl1304
    Options
    and seriously, i got flagged for saying 'open your diary'... :huh: :noway:

Sorry dude. I thought you meant like "open your diary...and go whine about it somewhere else"

Didn't know other people could see my food diary so I figured you meant it in a sarcastic way lol. Sorry!
  • LittleLionGirl1304
    Options
    Hi OP,

Hi OP,

I've been using a scale to measure food, I've steadily been cutting down 25% of what I used to eat. Is that not enough? I figured with the cardio it would be enough of a void to cut weight. Also, I've started drinking much more water than I used to. But water weight is supposed to shed after a couple weeks right?

How does the minus 25% compare with your tdee?

What's tdee?
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

OP you need to find your calorie intake level to lose weight eating 25%?less than you used to could still = too many calories
  • LittleLionGirl1304
    Options
    Rawr619 wrote: »
    Rawr619 wrote: »
    1. Are you weighing your food with a food scale? If not, get a scale and start weighing to the gram.

2. Are you eating back all of your exercise calories? Myfitnesspal notoriously overestimates exercise calories, try eating back half instead of all.

3. What is your height and weight? Calorie goal?

You still have yet to answer these questions I asked. I asked to be helpful. But if you don't actually want help then that's fine, but your post sounded like you wanted help/advice.

Yes I have a scale and I use it.
    I've been tracking my food and calories and I don't eat back the calories I've burned.
    I'm 5,7, currently 180, but normally I'm 170. Calorie goal set from mfp is 1700
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Odds are you simply need to eat less. Normally I suggest waiting it out but I've never heard of a woman eating in a deficit, starting lifting, and gaining an actual 10 pounds in a month from initial water weight. Or were you exaggerating for effect, similar to the comment about your tree trunk legs?

Stop getting defensive. Take the time to learn about losing weight and lifting before going off half-cocked complaining about people accusing you of this or that. Accept that you have a lot to learn and show some appreciation for people who take time out of their lives to offer help.

5lbs water from exercise, 3 from period, 2 from excess sodium....? Maybe?
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Firstly, are your clothes feeling tighter?

If so, you are eating more.