quick question

Options
Can't search cos it doesn't work on my phone so apologies in advance if its been asked already!
K I posted this on another thread to no avail.
Doing p90x and its about mfp cal goals.

So if you changed your goals on MFP to maintain your current weight then you should eat the amount it gives you and then log your exercise? can you do it that way? if i put in my target is to maintain it tells me to eat 2090 calories thats to maintain without any exercise involved.

Then there's no trying to eat exercise cals right? Or is there not enough of a defecit there?

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about doing the same thing. As long as you don't exercise TOO excessively, it should work. It would almost be like zig-zagging your calories. If you burned 200 on Monday and ate 2000 to maintain, then your NET would be 1800 (which is a deficit!). But, if you burned 500 on Tuesday, your NET would be 1500 (a larger deficit). I think as long as you're not burning more than 800-900 calories a day, you should be fine. There's no harm in giving it a try though.

ETA: You would need to be religious with exercise though, or else your deficit for the day will be gone! That's a down side.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Can't search cos it doesn't work on my phone so apologies in advance if its been asked already!
    K I posted this on another thread to no avail.
    Doing p90x and its about mfp cal goals.

So if you changed your goals on MFP to maintain your current weight then you should eat the amount it gives you and then log your exercise? can you do it that way? if i put in my target is to maintain it tells me to eat 2090 calories thats to maintain without any exercise involved.

Then there's no trying to eat exercise cals right? Or is there not enough of a defecit there?

This would work, but it will then all depend on how many calories you burn. The program will burn 300-900/day depending on stats, intensity, reps, fitness level etc. You can also try putting your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week and only eat a few of your exercise calories.
  • wbutterfras
    Options
    From what I've read, if you consistently burn more calories than you consume, you will loose weight. If you do the opposite you will gain weight. To maintain your weight, you need to eat exactly as many calories as you burn. I would say based on this understanding, you should eat you exercise. Plus with something like P90X, your body will need the extra energy to build the muscle. Good Luck!
  • wbutterfras
    Options
    From what I've read, if you consistently burn more calories than you consume, you will loose weight. If you do the opposite you will gain weight. To maintain your weight, you need to eat exactly as many calories as you burn. I would say based on this understanding, you should eat you exercise. Plus with something like P90X, your body will need the extra energy to build the muscle. Good Luck!
  • erickirb
    Options

I think she still wants to lose weight, but is letting the exercise create the deficit, as opposed to having a deficit and eating back the exercise cals to maintain the deficit.
  • wbutterfras
    Options
    Well then yes, that would work.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other, it's basically the same thing, really. Whether you have MFP create a deficit and eat back exercise calories, or you eat maintenance calories and let your exercise be your deficit, the end result is the same.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes,
    I actually think this is a MUCH better way to use exercise to your advantage, rather than getting into the giant eat your exercise calorie debate.
  • Ley2ndtry
    Ley2ndtry Posts: 136
    Options
    Wonderful replies once again thank you!

See I work out in the evenings so by that point its hard to eat back calories.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Wonderful replies once again thank you!

See I work out in the evenings so by that point its hard to eat back calories.

Just estimate what you will burn and eat the cals during the day, you don't have to wait till after you workout to eat them.