What do you wish you had known about maintaining?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    I'm small enough that my "maintenance" calories are still kind of strict, and so I still FEEL like I'm working hard.

That certainly worries me too. I'm not quite 5 feet tall, so it's not like my maintenance calories are going up by some dramatic amount! So while I don't think that I'm going to just cut loose and eat everything all the time, it is a little frustrating to understand that I can never eat like I did when I weighed over 200 pounds, unless I want to be over 200 pounds again. Have you found any kind of new goals or ways to keep yourself motivated now that you don't have the same sorts of small victories that you had when you were losing?

Most of my goals are fitness related.

I also train more in maintenance and participate in various events...my goals tend to revolve around that kind of stuff. I'm really active and do some kind of exercise activity most days...rest days usually consist of at least a 3 mile walk or a recovery ride and/or some yoga. I'm always trying to improve upon my fitness and my physique.

You may also be surprised with maintenance calories...when I went to maintenance I thought they would be rather paltry given the math and the very slow rate at which I was losing. As I upped calories, my energy went up...my workouts became better...I was setting PRs left and right in the weight room and on my bike...I was more fidgety and had difficulty sitting down to watch t.v. or movies, etc...even weird things like my finger nails started growing like wild.

As per the math, I figured I'd tap out maintenance at around 2500 calories...as I upped them, I actually continued to lose weight and actually started losing at a faster rate than I had been...I didn't peak out until around 3,000 calories.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    I'm small enough that my "maintenance" calories are still kind of strict, and so I still FEEL like I'm working hard.

That certainly worries me too. I'm not quite 5 feet tall, so it's not like my maintenance calories are going up by some dramatic amount! So while I don't think that I'm going to just cut loose and eat everything all the time, it is a little frustrating to understand that I can never eat like I did when I weighed over 200 pounds, unless I want to be over 200 pounds again. Have you found any kind of new goals or ways to keep yourself motivated now that you don't have the same sorts of small victories that you had when you were losing?

Sort of - I set myself fitness goals. I'm hoping to set a 5K PR this spring, and for some time, I've had a weird goal where I'm determined to do all of my push-ups off my knees during kickboxing class. And they're real goals, but they're just not doing it for me the way pure vanity did. :smile: And those kinds of goals aren't really keeping me focused when it comes to making good food and drink choices, and even if I'm training, my weight creeps up if I don't stay pretty strict with my calorie intake.

So at least for me, losing and maintenance are almost the same, but without the reward.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I can not add anything new. Congratulations on the hard work and dedication. Now go inspire others and encourage them.
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Lot's of great advice here.

I kind of blew it with the maintenance. I'm on the mend. Part of it was that I wasn't being realistic. That's a big deal.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Most of my goals are fitness related.

I also train more in maintenance and participate in various events...my goals tend to revolve around that kind of stuff. I'm really active and do some kind of exercise activity most days...rest days usually consist of at least a 3 mile walk or a recovery ride and/or some yoga. I'm always trying to improve upon my fitness and my physique.

You may also be surprised with maintenance calories...when I went to maintenance I thought they would be rather paltry given the math and the very slow rate at which I was losing. As I upped calories, my energy went up...my workouts became better...I was setting PRs left and right in the weight room and on my bike...I was more fidgety and had difficulty sitting down to watch t.v. or movies, etc...even weird things like my finger nails started growing like wild.

As per the math, I figured I'd tap out maintenance at around 2500 calories...as I upped them, I actually continued to lose weight and actually started losing at a faster rate than I had been...I didn't peak out until around 3,000 calories.

That's really interesting! I run and I hadn't thought about how maintenance would affect my training vs. a deficit. I don't think I'll quite make it to 3000 calories, but I might finally move from "average/back of the pack" runner to "slightly above average".
  • apullum
    Options
    pittdan77 wrote: »
    Lot's of great advice here.

I kind of blew it with the maintenance. I'm on the mend. Part of it was that I wasn't being realistic. That's a big deal.

What did you find wasn't realistic about your goals or expectations? (And what advice do you have for being more realistic?)
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    I would suggest TWO set points, unless you really want to log your calories forever (which is fine YMMV):
    1. Trend weight (or several days in a row) up 2-3lbs, consciously move a little more and/or eat a little less. Cut out that extra glass of wine thats been sneaking into your hand every night (or whatever)
    2. 5lbs up. Start logging again with similar or perhaps a touch higher/slower than you are right now.

I'm still logging (because see above - I'm fighting to find my new normal) but I really like this as a long-term plan. I'm going to remember it.
  • apullum
    Options
    @lilawolf I've never heard of Libra! I'll have to look into that.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you don't exercise you'll maintain at a higher weight than if you do - even at the same calorie level.

Oh, and that maintaining is easy - just keep plugging!
  • apullum
    Options
    I especially like all the suggestions to set new non-weight goals. I'm a runner and I will probably try to improve my speed. (No longer distances for me yet--I run up to half marathons and don't feel that I can currently commit the time to full marathon training.)
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I will say it's been rather depressing recently, realizing that I actually should be eating at a lower cal than I had previously set - I got to the top of my +/- 5 lbs after Christmas, and realized that I had been eating at a lower cal rate and constantly being "under" my goal, but during Christmas time, I ate to the top of the goal every day and started gaining. Bummer. At least it's spring now and I'm getting motivated to exercise more, so I can eat more!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    have a maintenance range not one goal number.

^^^This!
    100%
  • apullum
    Options
    I buy myself a new little $10-$20 plant when I maintain for two weeks (but I am obsessed with succulents and such).

Do you have a pregnant onion? They're not quite succulents, but they do well when they're well drained and left to dry out a little, so they can be treated sort of like a cactus. Also, they're just really weird and interesting. My grandma had over 200 plants when she died, and I've kept the pregnant onions going for almost 20 years now. They reproduce like crazy, so I would have them everywhere if I actually divided the babies into their own pots.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've only been in maintenance for 3 months but I've ready learned that it requires as much time and attn to maintain weight as it does to lose it.

It's now a never ending process and long past is the time when I could just eat anything and not worry about.