Night Time Binges

Options
I seem to do very well all day ...until around 830 PM....I don't know why but I find myself wanting to binge...it isn't hunger I am not hungry. I guess maybe it is boredom. I am going to try to maybe walk around the block when I get the urge to eat when I know I am not hungry. I am happy to say that even with my ridiculous cracker jack, beef jerky, rice pudding binge yesterday...I still logged everything and came in under on my fat intake and only over 469 calories. Any suggestions to avoid these pathetic binges? ( Maybe a locked door on the kitchen..lol)

Replies

• randi50
    randi50 Posts: 112
    Options
    That is hard for me too!! IDK why I can be fine all day but after dinner I just want to snack, snack, snack. I really have to fight it and eat a snack that leaves me filling full. Good luck, you aren't alone!
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    <
    guilty!! LOL! I've done this, but it's a sweet craving. Luckily my protein bars satisfy the craving and doesn't hurt near as much as eating sugary cereal or real chocolate!
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I do wonderful during the day, but then along about 8 or 9 in the evening I get the urge to just pig out. Chips, salsa, sandwiches...whatever is available in the kitchen. Then I feel bad because I ruined all the good I did during the day. I like the locked kitchen idea...might have to try that. LOL
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    dont keep that kind of binge eating food in your home. keep things like low fat yoghurts or dates are good if you want something sweet. get rid of all chocolates and crisps and you wont be tempted to binge cos you wont see them in your cupboards.

my parter ate my chocolate bar the other day and i was frantically looking for some more and because there wasnt any...i didnt feel like i needed it...i wsasnt going to go out and buy one so i just didnt think anymore about it.

out of sight..out of mind :o)
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    "I still logged everything and came in under on my fat intake and only over 469 calories."

over by 469 Kcal is about 1 lb a week, regardless of wether or not its fat or carbs
  • destiny637
    destiny637 Posts: 79
    Options
    Sometimes it helps me if I brush my teeth. Something about having the taste of toothpaste in my mouth and knowing my teeth are clean and ready for bed helps me -- not always but sometimes. I also refuse to keep anything too bad in the house because I know there is always a chance I'll want to eat it in unreasonable proportions.
  • kdtann
    kdtann Posts: 89
    Options
    I sometimes have the same feeling of wanting to binge. Try Quaker granola bar and a cup of low fat milk. I have had that a few nights during the week and it is very filling... tastes great too
  • aprileve411
    aprileve411 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What is it that you are eating throughout the day on a daily basis? I used to have this same problem, forever! And it was mostly sweets, sometimes salty stuff. And it would be for the same reason as yours - not hungry, just because I had the urge. It was like I felt like I always HAD to have something at night whether I was hungry or night. Almost a month ago, I made the commitment to start eating clean and I hardly ever have any cravings nor do I ever binge at night. If I do have a slight craving, I settle for a low cal protein shake or protein pudding, which I make with a little unsweetend almond milk and it is much better than binging on the stuff I used to. If you're eating processed foods during the day, maybe start eating cleaner and it may help...
  • hifinm
    hifinm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do Martial arts every night for a couple of hours and have to make myself eat something afterwards. I can usually only get down a little bit. I used to be a big time night time binger. I have quit watching TV and I exercise now instead and it has made a big difference.
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    When I have the urge to eat when I'm not hungry I try to take my mind off food and keep my hands busy. I sketch or draw, color in a coloring book, play with lego or playdough, put on some tunes and dance.... something fun and creative.... it works for me. :)
  • goldnanoparticle
    goldnanoparticle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When the late night munchies attack me, I like to pull out my stationary bike and go for about half an hour. Once finished, all I want to do is drink water.
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am the same, I crave stuff in the evenings, and also mid afternoon if it's quiet at work, I do think it's a boredom thing.

The only thing I have found that helps is going out for a walk, like you said - at least then if I do come back and still want to eat I know I've burned a few more calories. The other thing that might be worth a try is to input into your diary whatever it is your craving, but don't eat it immediately. Make yourself wait half an hour and see if you still really want it. More often than not when I do this, I end up changing my mind and deleting it rather than eating it.

Good Luck x
  • mcsolis
    mcsolis Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    maybe try spacing out you meals a little more and try to eat more fiber to keep you full
  • dbug26
    dbug26 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yesterday, my family went grocery shopping and came home with the following:
    Nutty Bars (my favorite)
    Sugar Cookies
    Snickerdoodles
    Cinnamon rolls
    Blueberry and Cinnamon crunch Muffins

I cut a 1" sliver of a french silk cake (230 cal) in order to satisfy my sweet tooth so I wouldnt binge on anything else.
    Between that and a 2am wake up handful of honey roasted peanuts, I came in just under my Cal count for the day. I went over on Fat and Sodium.

I too am guilty!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Get a good book and some low fat popcorn.
  • vebb21
    vebb21 Posts: 1
    Options
    Late night munchies are my enemy.... Quite often I find myself craving something to eat; sweet or salty or both it doesn't matter. I have found that brushing my teeth and filling myself up with water works. If I'm still hungry I'll have 1 toast (reduced calorie) with P&J... which always leaves me satisfied.
  • wonrob
    wonrob Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The other night I was craving chocolate really bad and was hoping to eat some that we got earlier in the week. I found out my bro ate the whole packet and I got so mad!

So instead I made homemade chocolate brownies. And had a huge binge on them. That's how desperate I get when it comes to my binges.

I think brushing teeth would help. Or eating fruit.
  • jschneider
    jschneider Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions......some of you are meanies...lol....but maybe that is what I need to hear (btw...I am aware that 469 calories over my goal is high...I was just surpised it wasn't higher...I am at a 1200 calorie goal)
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I’m on an 1800 calorie < 2000mg sodium diet and was at 1780 calories and 1931mg of sodium last night, and at 9:30 pm, I had a toasted English muffin (both halves) with butter and peanut butter. It’s like I’m “rewarding” myself for doing good, but I’m really sabotaging myself. My goal is 2 lbs per week but I may not make it this week unless I really buckle down the next few days.
  • mish2378
    mish2378 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I absolutly stuggle with this so thank you all for talking about it