Calories posted on menus, would it influence how you order?

Options

Replies

• laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS read the calories... I usually look online before I go out to eat anywhere, and that's how I decide what I'm having.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Wow, I actually check MFP on my iPhone every time I go out to find something that fits my meal plan. Now, I think I'm a little crazy...
  • meowy12
    meowy12 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love this idea. I assume this is in America though. If i know what resturant i'm going to if im going out for Dinner, i will google it and try and find calories info so i can make a low calorie choice.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think it would make a huge difference. A lot of people don't realize how many calories are in some of their favorite restaurant foods... even if they seem healthy. I am thankful that so many places are doing "under 500 calories" and "under 750 calories" menus! It's really helpful.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I try to look up the nutritional info on a restaurant before I go out, but having it on the menu would be so much easier. Sometimes what you think is a healthy choice really isn't!
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Abso-freekin-lutely! If I know where I'm going out to dinner ahead of time, I go to their website and check the calories on entrees I'm interested in trying. I think it would help to list the calories on the menu. Or at least have them available in a book ie Bob Evans. Oh and in a pinch you can always search the food database on mfp.com for calories, etc. too.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It would influence my decision a great deal. I only eat out once a week and I eat what I want (my weekly cheat meal) but I still try to eat something thats not just loaded with fat and calories. I still enter my calories even on my cheat meal.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    Oh, absolutely!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    No I go out to eat as a treat, I know its higher in calories.
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    it would influence my choices for the better and i would presonally love it .. rather than having to guess what i ate. In the long run I think it would be good for everyone - maybe good for less obesity and unhealthiness give people a wake-up call for there health :)
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Yes, big time !!
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    im in the middle on this one. if i HAVE to eat some sort of "fast food" i will look up the menu online first and decide the best option. but, i rarely go out to eat (maybe once every 6 months) so when i do it is for a celebration or a treat and yeah...i treat myself. i think it is a good idea though. people could always stand to be more informed about nutrition!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Our local news released an article yesterday on how innaccurate restaurant food guides can be. In fact, one person found that a Mcdonalds sandwich was actually 100 calorie sover what what listed. I would never trust them so I either make on occaision of eating out or just try to ballpark it!
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    I think that it would influence what I order to an extent...I am not going to order something that I don't like because it is lower in calories than something that I like. If I am looking at two meals that I like then I will go with the one that is lower in calories. I wish more restaurants would put the calorie count on their menus!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Most people on this site probably would be influenced. Now when I'm not trying to lose weight, it probably wouldn't sway me from getting it. It might alter how much I eat of it. This is a new study that shows that most advertised calorie counts are wrong anyway.
  • gemco
    gemco Posts: 129
    Options
    yes, i would love that.
  • aprileve411
    aprileve411 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It most definitely would! I'm kind of glad they are not posted because I only eat out for a cheat meal and I'd rather not know during that one time! lol. I do think it's helpful though, if you are someone who eats out a lot and is trying to make healthier food choices. Most people thinking going to a restaurant and eating soup and salad is healthy when in fact, it is not. Ever notice how few salads are on menus in the healthy choice section? I usually only see one or two.
  • melysa84
    melysa84 Posts: 3
    Options
    Absolutely this influences me! I try to look things up on MFP or the internet before I order them, but seeing the calories right there on the menu is really helpful. It also keeps you from making a bad decision because you have that reminder of what the calories are for each item. Plus then you can compare items without having to look up each one individually. Panera Bread does this, and I have definitely changed my order just based on being able to see all of the options in my calorie range.
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It's the law here in California that that information has to be posted (at chain restaurants). It absolutely influences me in my choices.

Absolutely! I'm a sucker for numbers and I'll almost order the lowest cal thing on the menu, even if it's not what I originally wanted...
  • emadigan
    emadigan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It absolutely affects how I order. I guess I'm lucky because in New York, restaurants are REQUIRED to have nutritional information available for customers and to provide it if asked. Also, many restaurants post their calorie contents (and sometimes the fat too). I think all restaurants in NY have to post their calories by a certain date, but I'm not sure when that deadline is.

I eat out a lot, especially in the summer, so it is really important to me. Sometimes, it doesn't affect how I order; it affects how I eat. Most restaurant portions are super huge anyway, so if I want a meal that is 800 calories, I eat half and bring the other half home with me. Its a win-win because I get to eat it twice!