Getting Disheartened!!! HELP!

Options

Replies

• k1229
    k1229 Posts: 135
    Options
    i know i really should but the problem there is i just end up feeling or being sick, there was a day last week when i had a bowl of shredded wheat - and within ten minutes i had thrown it up!!! i hate being sick too, its disgusting, and then i dont want to eat anything.

Its driving me nuts!

Thank you all so much!!!
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    try higher calorie healthy snacks like nuts or something to help boost those #s
  • marcusj73
    marcusj73 Posts: 6
    Options
    I viewed your diary before posting an answer, and yes your body is hanging on for dear life. I only say this because I was having the same issue when I started, but the same friend who referred me to this website encouraged me not to be afraid to eat. Just make sure what you eat gives you the most benefit. What you are doing right is working against yourself. You have the drive right now on exercising you have to apply that same drive to your nutrition they go hand in hand. So, I encourage you to keep doing what you're doing and try getting some info from some of the people you see at the gym that seem to know a little about fitness. That's how I eased myself into this and now I literally want to go just to see some of them and get more info.

P.S.
    You can do this and he'll regret it even more.
  • k1229
    Options
    try higher calorie healthy snacks like nuts or something to help boost those #s

Oh thats a great idea actually - i love almonds etc so thats going in the shopping basket! Thank you!
  • k1229
    Options
    I viewed your diary before posting an answer, and yes your body is hanging on for dear life. I only say this because I was having the same issue when I started, but the same friend who referred me to this website encouraged me not to be afraid to eat. Just make sure what you eat gives you the most benefit. What you are doing right is working against yourself. You have the drive right now on exercising you have to apply that same drive to your nutrition they go hand in hand. So, I encourage you to keep doing what you're doing and try getting some info from some of the people you see at the gym that seem to know a little about fitness. That's how I eased myself into this and now I literally want to go just to see some of them and get more info.

P.S.
    You can do this and he'll regret it even more.

Thank you! your PS made me smile!!
  • k1229
    Options
    Try to keep your heart rate at a decent level and not to fast

The optimal range for fat burning is between 60 and 70 percent of maximum heart rate over this rate you burn carbs
    for a woman its 226 minus age for a man its 220 minus age

for me
    220 minus 39 = 181
    181 divided by 100 =1.81
    1.81 times 60 = 108
    1.81 times 70 = 127
    so for me to burn maximum fat i need to keep my heart rate between 108 and 127 bpm to burn fat

try eating every 3-4 hours as this encourages your body to burn it off rather than store it.

dont give in.
    Thank you! This was very helpful - ive been going at it too hard, need to slow it down a bit! (HR)
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    You've gotten off to a great start, losing pounds. So, great job! But looking at your diary, it seems you've been relying too much on extremely low calories, processed foods, and diet colas.

Maybe it's time to start thinking about how you're fueling your body for all that exercise. I am sure you're toning up a lot and improving endurance, etc. So now it's time to make that body a fine tuned machine. Turn to more whole foods, fresh fruits and vegetables. Take one day that you're home and cook some wholesome and nutritious foods, then pre-portion them into containers and freeze them. You'll have quick, healthy, home-cooked frozen meals to go. It's really worth it.

And, as some others have said, try adding in some calories. Add in more healthy fats like avocado, olive oil, etc. You are waaaay under your calorie goals. Sometimes you need to increase to see a decrease on the scales.

Really focus on the important reasons your doing this - you want to be healthy and happy in your own skin. Being healthy comes from eating healthy - not from starving your body and pumping it full of chemicals. You CAN do this!
  • Eats_With_A_Fist
    Options
    Just a couple possible suggestions, maybe consider a lifestyle change...a different way of eating rather than just "dieting". (Vegetarian, Paleo/Primal (For all of us meat eaters!) ...etc. Just make sure you get all of your nutrients in with whatever you settle on.) Either way, you definitely gotta make sure you eat...the more intensely you work out, the more fuel your body needs. A car with a full tank of gas will go farther, faster, than a car running near empty. (At least it sounds reasonable to me. I could be wrong!)

As cliche as it might sound, health is it's own reward. You might not see results for a while, but if you're really eating better and exercising, it is paying off...just not in readily visible ways. You can do it! Try not to let it cause you to stumble too much.
  • kmjudge
    kmjudge Posts: 25
    Options
    I totally understand, I'm new here, but I have been working at this for a long time and this website is just an amazing reference to help me keep things in perspective.

I did a lot of nutrition research and what really helped me was to stay educated about what foods really do to my body, inside and out. I read the Fat Flush Plan (and I am NOT a fad dieter by any means) but it made SO much sense to me and really helped me make some educated choices and know exactly what I was putting into my body and what great foods are out there to help. When I completed the plan my skin looked great, and I had dropped a pant size (in 2 weeks). I was losing inches, not just a few lbs. I just felt really good, and I consumed A LOT while on the plan, but it was all delicious!

Getting educated about nutrition I think is invaluable, it will really help you stay on task! :)
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    For awhile I was eating too little and I lost nothing at all, despite working harder than ever. Since I've been here I've started eating more to sustain my body and level of exercise. It seems almost counter intuitive, but it will probably help you. good luck!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    If it helps I've been at it for a month too although I haven't seen shocking numbers on the scale, I'm at a point where my pants are falling down while I walk. I no longer have to even unbutton them when I use the bathroom. Maybe you won't see the change on the scale just yet! I was losing motivation too but keep thinking to myself, I WILL change with time! :)
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i know i really should but the problem there is i just end up feeling or being sick, there was a day last week when i had a bowl of shredded wheat - and within ten minutes i had thrown it up!!! i hate being sick too, its disgusting, and then i dont want to eat anything.

Its driving me nuts!

Thank you all so much!!!

Yikes, maybe it's time to call your doctor? Could you be pregnant?
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    As others have said hun, you seem to be undereating - some days by a Hell of a lot of calories!!!

Try eating more.... Even without the whole exercise calorie debate you are not making your daily allowance - and that is not good.

As also mentioned earlier you need to consider where you get your calories from. WW ready meals and Diet Coke isn't going make you healthy in the long term?

I bulk up every lunch and dinner with either salad or veg, I pick fresh , seasonal ingredients (I also see what is on special) it actually makes my plate look nicer too..
  • k1229
    Options

Its driving me nuts!

Thank you all so much!!!

Yikes, maybe it's time to call your doctor? Could you be pregnant?

HAHAHAHAHAHH Chance would be a fine thing!!!! LOL. I think just lack of appetite thru sudden "breakup" is just affecting how much i can consume. but im going to try as from tomorrow to eat 1200. God knows how. but im going to try.
  • k1229
    Options
    OK! starting tomorrow - i think im going to have to up the ante... I made carrot and sweet potato soups (no cream) the other week and froze them, so i think its time to crack them open - and start trying to eat like a normal person.

People always assume you are fat cos you eat too much...maybe its time to not only educate them, but myself too...

Thank you so much for all the help, assistance and advice. I'll update!!! xxx
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    There is some great advice here... Please embrace it.

Some other options for increasing your calories healthily might include supplements (protein/carb shakes and the like) dried fruit and nuts.
  • k1229
    Options
    There is some great advice here... Please embrace it.

Some other options for increasing your calories healthily might include supplements (protein/carb shakes and the like) dried fruit and nuts.

Thank you. I definitely will. this has been extremely beneficial. im glad i posted. So many helpful people!
  • ardeornellis
    ardeornellis Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Your diary is set to Bfast, Lunch, Dinner, and snack. I changed mine to Bfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and evening snack. I don't eat much at a sitting, so I have learned that I have to eat 5-6 times a day to get all my calories in. I skimped on calories for years and that resulted in yoyo dieting and poor health choices.. As determined as you are, you CANNOT maintain those workouts on the calories you are eating. Your body will fatigue and you will fizzle out.. So, my advice would be to eat more often and be sure you eat healthy carbs before working out and protein after. I eat a piece of wheat toast, 1tbsp ground peanuts, and 1/2 TBS jelly before workouts and now use carb boosters too with my runs.. After workouts, I usually have greek yogurt... Hope this helps.. Hang in there.. This is a lifestyle change and a big learning process for most of us...