Ever been offered unhealthy food by a toddler?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Good memories. If it were a gift from my children I'd choke it down with a smile even if it were mud pie.

From a toddler friend I would thank the tyke profusely then tell them I'm saving it for later. Then I'd fold it in a napkin and let the toddler see me put it in to a "safe place".
  • BeChill73
    BeChill73 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I have 4 kids lol. Sometimes I eat the food I am offered... there's never a time when eating a cheez-it that my toddler offered me is going to ruin my deficit for the day. But sometimes I say "no thanks, I'm not hungry right now". I feel like that's good modeling to know that it's ok to say no and to feel full.

I do this too. If its not something I wanted to eat (too fatty, sugary, or just not to my taste) I say "Thanks for offering, that's really thoughtful of you, but I'm not hungry right now".
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Frequently. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. But they're just as likely to demand the (already weighed and logged) food off my plate, so I'm pretty sure it all balances out.

And I don't always take the food offered. Sometimes, I say "no thanks". Sometimes I mime eating it. Sometimes I go to eat it and have it pulled away from me (usually the 1 year old; he thinks that offering food then backing out at the last second is hilarious).

1 Cheerio or 1 goldfish cracker is not going to have any significant impact on my weight loss.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I have worked at both day and residential treatment centers. There are definitely tears and self care issues involved. The kids are amazing, and you just hope that you can make a small difference in their day. That being said, I couldn't eat half of what they would give me. You can talk to the guardians if you like to just set parameters for gift giving (i received a lot of art work lol), or just accept it and do what you want. Assuming you work at an at risk area of the city, I'm sure you can give the food to a homeless person. It's a lot better than throwing it away knowing there are ppl in the world who may only have that cookie/banana/McDonald's as their food intake of the day.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    incisron wrote: »
    Lil two year old cousin forcefully commands me to get up and eat breakfast, then proceeds to eat half of my breakfast.

Is this the kid from that Twilight Zone episode that sends you to the cornfield if you make him angry?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Gross. No. :sick:
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I can't say I have, but it seems like an excellent opportunity to teach the toddler about choosing food that is good for you.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Lil two year old cousin forcefully commands me to get up and eat breakfast, then proceeds to eat half of my breakfast.

Is this the kid from that Twilight Zone episode that sends you to the cornfield if you make him angry?

Probably not, as lil chubby cousin is a girl last time I checked - but then again, sounds eerily familiar, so it can't hurt to check again. :p BRB (checking with aunt and government records.)
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have a theory that this is how the "Dad-bod" became a thing.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Probably not, as lil chubby cousin is a girl last time I checked - but then again, sounds eerily familiar, so it can't hurt to check again. :p BRB (checking with aunt and government records.)

In which case there is no consequence to you for defying her will. Adult harder and ignore her demands or tell her no.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old was feeding me gummy worms last night, lol
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Provided it hasn't been slobbered on, I eat it.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've had cookies and crisps thrust at me by sticky little hands before. Luckily toddlers are generally pretty easy to fool and I've mimed eating and then thrown the cookie away. As long as you make the requisite 'nom nom nom' noises they always fall for it. Suckers.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Has a toddler ever offered you unhealthy food while you were trying to stay away from it or couldn't fit it into your cals for the day?

There is no healthy or unhealthy food, there is just food. I'm sure the toddler knows this.

• andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Lol, yes, my son insisted I try an Irish Potato. He was so excited. One won't kill me.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    andrea4736 wrote: »
    Lol, yes, my son insisted I try an Irish Potato. He was so excited. One won't kill me.

I love when the little ones want to share. It's so cute!
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options

In which case there is no consequence to you for defying her will. Adult harder and ignore her demands or tell her no.

???
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I can't say I have, but it seems like an excellent opportunity to teach the toddler about choosing food that is good for you.

It's an excellent opportunity to teach a child that food is not good or bad, it's just food. ;)
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have an incredibly generous and compassionate 3-year-old nephew who always wants to share whatever he's eating. I love when he offers, but I don't feel a need to accept food just because the offer is precious and kind.

If I don't want it, I just say "No thanks!" with a big smile, and so far his feeling haven't been hurt.