Emotional/Binge Eaters

Options
Just wondering if anyone else struggles with this. It's this is a huge issue for me. Sometimes I set myself back a few DAYS. Mostly it's when I get depressed (which unfortunately happens all the time between MS and some other personal issues). If anyone else would like to share with me how they handle it I would appreciate it. I looked for a "Group" but the only ones I could find aren't active. Please feel free to add me and shoot me a message or comment here. Thanks!!!

Replies

• hollyfoord
    hollyfoord Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY not alone. I will literally starve myself all day & then BLOW IT at night because I attach emotional significance to curling up & watching Netflix while eating. It's not even unhealthy food sometimes, it's just quantity. And weekends, which are 'freer' days, I'll feel like I need to eat everything while I have the chance before I 'go hard' during the week again. Not sure if this helps, but you're definitely not alone.
  • airigirl
    airigirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater. I do the same thing and blow it at night when I'm sitting here alone. Yesterday was a win, I had a calorie deficit but at the toast at 1 am.
  • NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, the dreaded weekends. I use the "but it's Friday" excuse. And I also get sucked into the couch/plate of food/netflix trap. My husband works nights and I work days so it's especially hard when I feel lonely. I eat and curl up and watch TV.
  • Pack100
    Pack100 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a binge eater. Carbs not emotion seem to trigger it for me. Having a protein with the carb has helped me to stop the overeating. Slugging tons of water helps me too feel fuller. I also found when I skip a meal or two it is worse because I am hungry. Then when I do eat I eat like there will be no food ever again.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I do the same, but I manage it little by little. Usually I don't keep unhealthy food in the house, but when I stay at my parents place, I go crazy (their house is filled with food and candy). Last time I was afraid I'd do the same thing again, so I went for a long walk in the early evening to save up some calories. The fresh air and exercise got me in a better mood, and that evening was actually not as bad as I prepared for.

Now I have little things in my house that can help when I get to that place. I have started making sugarfree jello in advance, and it's very low calorie. If I have chips, I have a high protein, low fat kind. And I make dip with a high protein type of 'kesam' that also fills you up.

I have also seen a pattern in that I am more likely to binge when I am tired or haven't slept well. It's probably a combination of being somewhat cranky/depressed from little sleep and trying to crave more energy.
  • NattySchmatty
    Options
    Pack100 wrote: »
    I also found when I skip a meal or two it is worse because I am hungry. Then when I do eat I eat like there will be no food ever again.

This. If let myself get too hungry I will hurry up and eat as much as I can as fast as I can.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I used to be, I have gotten alot better, but it does still creep up sometimes. Mostly I just had to really start identifying the problem and asking myself if it was worth it. If I got upset and was reaching for chocolate I would just have to stop myself and ask "is this really going to help, and will it end up making you feel crappier in the end". Seems like for me just critiquing what I was doing was enough to get me to mostly stop. Don't get me wrong, I still have my days, but once you start breaking the habit it will slowly stop becoming your first response.
  • NattySchmatty
    Options
    HM2206 wrote: »
    Now I have little things in my house that can help when I get to that place. I have started making sugarfree jello in advance, and it's very low calorie. If I have chips, I have a high protein, low fat kind. And I make dip with a high protein type of 'kesam' that also fills you up.

I have also seen a pattern in that I am more likely to binge when I am tired or haven't slept well. It's probably a combination of being somewhat cranky/depressed from little sleep and trying to crave more energy.

I like jello- thanks for the tip. I will try this. Also, I too find it is FAR worse if I am tired as is the depression. Thinking I need to start getting in some more rest.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I struggle with emotional eating. I'm in the middle of being possibly diagnosed with MS and it's taking me for a ride. I already have plenty on my plate medically.

I don't know the answer. I do know that I recently participated in a 10 servings a day vegetable challenge on here and found that helpful. Filling up on all that vegetable matter while trying to fit in my protein goal really helped.

I'm also working my way through The Beck Diet Solution. I've found that helpful. I successfully averted a binge just the other day using some strategies from that book.
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I always struggle with emotional eating! It's my go to comfort. I am finding exercise to be a real help in keeping myself more centered and in control. Running is my biggest help. I had really been struggling since Christmas and couldn't really pinpoint the issue, but then realized it wasn't Christmas, my treadmill has been broken since the end of December! I'm back on track now, thanks to getting in more walking after purchasing a fitbit, and I have the parts ordered to fix the treadmill!
  • NattySchmatty
    Options
    I struggle with emotional eating. I'm in the middle of being possibly diagnosed with MS and it's taking me for a ride. I already have plenty on my plate medically.

I'm also working my way through The Beck Diet Solution. I've found that helpful. I successfully averted a binge just the other day using some strategies from that book.

I also have MS. Thanks or the top in the book. I will take a peek at it.
  • NattySchmatty
    Options
    akmomof7 wrote: »
    I always struggle with emotional eating! It's my go to comfort. I am finding exercise to be a real help in keeping myself more centered and in control. Running is my biggest help. I had really been struggling since Christmas and couldn't really pinpoint the issue, but then realized it wasn't Christmas, my treadmill has been broken since the end of December! I'm back on track now, thanks to getting in more walking after purchasing a fitbit, and I have the parts ordered to fix the treadmill!

This is great advice. I was REALLY feeling it a few days ago. I drove 2 miles to the track and walked for an hour. It definitely helped. I think the outside air helped free up the negativity I was holding on to.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When I go through a depressive episode, yeah.. I can eat over 3k calories. Been like this last 3 days. Only problem is, I don't know what I am sad about!! Which pisses me off. And when I get pissed enough, I snap out of it. I FORCE myself out of it. I hate being controlled by anyone, including my own emotions.
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater.
    I know you are suppose to analyse your feelings and address them rather than eat them, but I am not there yet.
    At this stage the only thing that keeps the diet bus from totally leaving the road during emotional periods, is to not be alone.
    My husband knows I am trying to lose weight but will never comment on it.
    So just the thought of gorging in front of him makes me so ashamed that I just leave it.
    If I were alone I would have eaten myself to death.
    So it helps me to have somebody that keeps me accountable.
    Yes, it is not healthy, but I am working on my mind and body.
  • icecreambecky
    icecreambecky Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am having the worst time with emotional eating; I have read everything there is to read and listened to all the podcasts, but you know how it is. Nothing helps when you're in front of something your roommate baked, and you've had a bad day, and you're real hungry. You don't stop yourself, you just go and go hard. It's the worst, I don't know how to catch myself before I go behind my back and ruin my progress, intentionally not thinking about all the helpful hints I've heard and learned. Lately I've been working out for 2 hours a day between 3 different workouts because I'm just eating too damn much. Especially at night...Netflix and chill doesn't hold a candle to Netflix and ice cream...and muffins...and pasta...and cake >.< For me, the only option is really just to simply not have anything I can binge on in the house.
  • NattySchmatty
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. It helps to know I am not alone in this. I have had to force myself to get rid of anything that I will binge on. Chips and ice cream are my go to indulgences. I have to force myself to not buy them.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I am definitely an emotional eater. It takes some conscious effort not to reach for food when being upset. I try redirecting by watching a movie, working on crafts, reading a book, playing a game also looking at MFP and seeing how many calories I have left helps. Or makes me cranky I can't have cookies, but I'm at least not reaching for them and I can deal with that.
    Recognizing your binge foods, if you have them, are important. For awhile I had to have single serve ice cream bars so I wouldn't sit down and be bad and eat it all. Also getting into the mindset of weighing food also helps me keep from just grabbing a pint and sitting down with a spoon.
  • mzSindhu
    mzSindhu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You're not alone my friend! I'm fighting this too! I'm doing the nutisystem meal plan but it has helped me very little. They do include sweet snacks between each meal and that has helped me not feel deprived. I started going to a therapist and she has taught me to find other things to do when I get the urge to eat because of me feeling depressed. She had me start a journal also and write down everything I ate, the time I ate and how I FELT. That was an eye opener let me tell you! That has helped me see how somethings could seem so bad at that moment but when you look back on it, it really wasn't! It helped me realize when I start to feel a depression episode coming on to step back and not take it so personal. Not to forget my goals! Hope you can overcome this too!
  • NattySchmatty
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    I am definitely an emotional eater. It takes some conscious effort not to reach for food when being upset. I try redirecting by watching a movie, working on crafts, reading a book, playing a game also looking at MFP and seeing how many calories I have left helps. Or makes me cranky I can't have cookies, but I'm at least not reaching for them and I can deal with that.
    Recognizing your binge foods, if you have them, are important. For awhile I had to have single serve ice cream bars so I wouldn't sit down and be bad and eat it all. Also getting into the mindset of weighing food also helps me keep from just grabbing a pint and sitting down with a spoon.

All great advice. Thank you.
  • NattySchmatty
    Options
    mzSindhu wrote: »
    You're not alone my friend! ... I started going to a therapist and she has taught me to find other things to do when I get the urge to eat because of me feeling depressed. She had me start a journal also and write down everything I ate, the time I ate and how I FELT. That was an eye opener let me tell you! ...

That's great!! I actually just scheduled and appointment with a therapist. I hoping for the best.