The Daily Diary Thread

Options

Replies

• billdwyatt
    billdwyatt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    j_trea1 wrote: »
    Bill are you asking me about the "certain carbs"? If so I'm not sure I follow what you are asking.

No, that was for Nikion901. And welcome to our little group here! Thanks for your posts!
  • billdwyatt
    Options
    rdevol wrote: »
    Hello! I've been trying (but not hard enough) to get back on the wagon and truly make some healthy changes in my life. I love that only a few people are posting on this site. Some posts seem to get out of control so quickly with the number of people. I'd like to join your group and try to post daily for accountability and support.

Welcome!
  • j_trea1
    j_trea1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Another interesting fact to take into account when you are weighing yourself and all that. When you eat it takes 4 hours for what you have eaten to leave your stomach, and then it is going to be where it is going, either in your cells as energy or expelled from your system with in about 24 hours after eating. So Bill if you ate a big dinner last night that might have still been hanging around a little this morning when you weighed in.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Did a mental check today because I was feeling low when I compared my progress to those of others. Found 10 positive statements about myself that were sincere and not fluff. Now I feel better ... just need to get the butt in gear today instead of riding the clutch.
  • catmomfat
    catmomfat Posts: 97 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I only weigh myself twice a week. Otherwise I get too depressed. I'm trying to loose 20 pounds. I've lost 5 so far over 2.5 weeks. I really think I need to change my goal to 25, but I guess I will get to 20 and see how I look and feel there. Since I started at 160 at 5'6", I've heard it will be harder since I am close to "normal" weight for a woman my height and age.
  • billdwyatt
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Did a mental check today because I was feeling low when I compared my progress to those of others. Found 10 positive statements about myself that were sincere and not fluff. Now I feel better ... just need to get the butt in gear today instead of riding the clutch.

Amen sister. Let us know how you day went.

• billdwyatt
    Options
    catmomfat wrote: »
    I only weigh myself twice a week. Otherwise I get too depressed. I'm trying to loose 20 pounds. I've lost 5 so far over 2.5 weeks. I really think I need to change my goal to 25, but I guess I will get to 20 and see how I look and feel there. Since I started at 160 at 5'6", I've heard it will be harder since I am close to "normal" weight for a woman my height and age.

Welcome to the group @catmomfat ! "The more you lose, the harder it becomes" is the natural course for everyone. What I'm about to suggest is a general example of how it works. The numbers can vary significantly from one person to the next, but it works the same for all of us...

If you are completely sedentary (no exercise) figure 10 calories for every pound you weigh. If you're 160, then that's 1600 calories a day. Figure a pound is worth about 3500 calories. So, for the example, let's say you're on a 1200 calorie a day diet. At 160 you'll lose a pound in 8-9 days. At 150 figure 1500 calories a day. Now the 1200 calorie diet is yielding 300 calories a day instead of 400. It will now take 11-12 days to lose a pound. So, the closer you get to your goal, the slower your weight loss becomes.
  • billdwyatt
    Options
    I blew my 1500 calorie a day diet by 200 calories yesterday. After that "plate special" I had for lunch yesterday, we fixed homestyle chicken and dumplings for dinner last night. I suppose I should be glad it was only 200. Didn't weigh this morning. Back to a light brunch today.
  • j_trea1
    Options
    @billdwyatt at least it was only 200 calories and as we all know 1day isn't going to make or break you in the long run.

@Nikion901 it is hard not to compare ourselves to others, but it does any of us any good as we are all different. Great job on finding the positive as that is what is important and keeps us going.
  • catmomfat
    Options
    I walk an average of 6 miles a day at work. I consider that lightly active :)
  • j_trea1
    Options
    I was just looking back at my calories since I've started taking, which has only been since the 27th last month so a littler over a week. The first 5 days I didn't do well at all. During that time I was been 2200 and 2500 each day and felt hungry. I also started riding my bike 3 days week week at the same time. Since Monday I've stayed right around 1500 with one day being up to 1750. I also started measuring neck and abdomen last week since I don't want to get to what feels good not a number, but at the same time have something objective to measure. This morning was the second measurement and neck went up about a half an inch and abdomen is down a quarter. Good news is I carry most of my fat in my belly so that's going the right way at least. I figure if I can stay around 1500 to 1750 I should be seeing some good results soon.
  • billdwyatt
    Options

6 miles a day? Dang, I'd call that intense training if it were me!

• billdwyatt
    Options
    Lunch wasn't light enough. Lol. Dinner was within limits. Another 1700 day. Myfitnesspal says I'll still lose weight at this level but I might not live long enough to reach my goal.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Can I trust the scale this morning? Yes I can. Can I trust that I will eat today like I did the past 3 days? Not enough to give a promise.
  • catmomfat
    Options
    billdwyatt wrote: »

6 miles a day? Dang, I'd call that intense training if it were me!

proof that my weight gain was caused by what I was eating, not lack of physical activity
  • billdwyatt
    Options
    At 1700 I'm still supposed to lose weight. Not happening. I'm up another pound today. Back to 212.
  • NoAnalHere
    NoAnalHere Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    At 1700 I'm still supposed to lose weight. Not happening. I'm up another pound today. Back to 212.

Hey if you're recording your weight every day download a app on Android or ios so you can go by trend weight since there's so many reasons for fluctuations. Don't let it discourage you!

• j_trea1
    Options
    I think I am going to go bust on calories for today. The Mrs. just told me she wants to go to Golden Coral. I guess I can just eat light and hope for the best.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning everybody!
    I did not lose anything all week. I was over in cals 2 days but also under 2 days. I am tired of walking the same neighborhood..same places. I was lazy with walking last week. It was like no matter what coat I had on..I was freezing!
    Ok..New week. New Day. My goal for the day is to walk at least 3 miles. Not much..I know..but it's a start. HAPPY MONDAY MORNING! <3
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It's easy to get discouraged monitoring your day-to-day weight loss.
    Well... I'd say "only if you're easily discouraged!" :lol:
    I weigh in every day that I'm able to, and track my calories every day, and if I have a bad day, I just use that as fuel to do better the next day. Exceeded my calories, but still lost weight? Awesome! Under my limit but gained weight? Probably didn't move my body enough. Or counted wrong. Or retaining water. Or... whatever. Today I'll do a little better, move a little more, eat a little less. Without that daily feedback, how will I know when I go off the rails?