Running/Weight Threshold?

Options
Am I the only one who walks because I'm pear-shaped (very!!) and I'm concerned that pretty much anything over 170 lbs and all in the hips could damage my lower joints in the long run? I've approached it that way for a long time - I don't have a history of bad knees or ankles but I'd like to keep it that way, and I'm concerned the impact of running could cause problems with the weight I'm currently carrying and where I'm carrying it. My goal is to start running after I get down to a more suitable weight, but maybe I'm worrying about that too much?

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Your worrying too much. At 6' tall, 170-175 is my winter training weight, and after the last 30 years of training, my joints are perfectly fine.

Most male triathletes are At least 170
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Never to soon to start running :) Get some good supportive running shoes , start at a slow pace. I recommend the C25K app, its starts you out gradually with jogging/walking. Good luck! You can do this <3
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    mayafit405 wrote: »
    Never to soon to start running :) Get some good supportive running shoes , start at a slow pace. I recommend the C25K app, its starts you out gradually with jogging/walking. Good luck! You can do this <3
    I was going to post the same thing. Start by mixing slow running with walking (couch 2 5k programme does this). Get supportive shoes and listen to your body. If you feel any aches and pains take a day or two where you go back to walking. If you need to repeat weeks of C25k thats okay (and normal).
    Enjoy your new life as a runner :)

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    kasey39 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who walks because I'm pear-shaped (very!!) and I'm concerned that pretty much anything over 170 lbs and all in the hips could damage my lower joints in the long run? I've approached it that way for a long time - I don't have a history of bad knees or ankles but I'd like to keep it that way, and I'm concerned the impact of running could cause problems with the weight I'm currently carrying and where I'm carrying it. My goal is to start running after I get down to a more suitable weight, but maybe I'm worrying about that too much?

I was 200lbs when I started running. I used C25K and I'm fine now running marathons.
  • kasey39
    kasey39 Posts: 39 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I used to run when I was in the military (and much smaller!) As much as I love running (note the sarcasm), I know it's better cardio than just walking, so it's good to know I may have been overly concerned about that. My concern wasn't the weight alone, it's the fact that it's all concentrated in one area in my body, on my hips/thighs.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to run-don't, walk.

I have little inclination to run, I walk, I walk 10km races and come in before some runners.
    I also do rowing, Zumba, aquafit, belly dancing, and anything else that gets a bit of cardio in.

Cheers, h.
  • NicJaxx
    NicJaxx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was well over 200 lbs in Dec16 when I started the C25K program. Dropped about 25 lbs on it without feeling any damage to my joints and I'm pretty sure my joints are in a better/safer/happier place now. Ultimately switched to CrossFit because I hate running (only to recently switch back to running due to a CrossFit injury, lol). I'm now using the Running for Weight Loss App. I like it better than C25K. Check it out. There's a walking version too!
  • FelinaDC
    FelinaDC Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Kasey! I'm short 5'2 and definitely carry most of my weight in my stomach/hip area. I started running at 211 lbs and though I was slow I finished my first 5K at 46 minutes! Then I trained with C25K and was able to cut 6 minutes off that time. What helped me was to take breaks and run every other day to allow my joints to rest and even an extra day if I was in any pain from the previous run. Now I run 4 times a week (2-3 miles at at time) and have no aches or pains at all! I'm still pear-shaped btw but working on it >:D
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I re-started running at 220#'s. Ran my first 5K at 200#'s and ran a Half Marathon at 190#'s. I'm never going to see 170 while healthy. 5'10" and 62 years of age no problems with running at my weight and age.

Start slow, stay slow until you realize that you are speeding up, keep your strides short, keep your feet under you, focus on stepping lightly. If you need to walk, walk; if you need to rest, rest. You are running not sprinting. They are two different things.

Of course, if you want to walk, just walk but it's not because of your weight. It might be because you it's (walking) what you want to do. This is fine too.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Nope, no weight limit. I've ran as high as 250 on my 5'3" frame with no issues. I know there is another runner on MFP who started out over 300. I'm currently 220 and working on running a 10K distance. If you can easily walk three miles you can do C25K.

My advice to any new runner is go slow. Power walking grannies should be passing you during C25K. It is totally normal to run as slow or slower than you walk. You are trying to build endurance to run for 30 minutes or 5K, whichever program you chose. Speed comes later. If you can't complete a day or it feels incredibly hard repeat that week as many times as you need to. You will get it eventually. Make sure you are getting enough rest. Don't do more than 3 days in a week and make sure you take 1-2 days off between runs. Your body is getting used to a completely new way of moving and doing too much to soon is what causes injuries, not being heavy.
  • kasey39
    kasey39 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! It's good to know that option is out there - I don't need to lose 70 pounds before I think about getting back to running again. Never enjoyed it 100% but after discovering a couple health-related issues in recent years, I think I know why I never enjoyed it. Anxious to get back to mountain biking again as well!