Avoiding Binges

Options
13»

Replies

• StarBrightStarBright
    StarBrightStarBright Posts: 97 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm a stress binger and I work from home so the kitchen is only a few feet away. If work is nuts I often find myself wanting to just eat copious amounts of cheese and baked goods to make it disappear (work has been REALLY stressful lately hence using MFP right now.)

Two things I do:
    1) Brush my teeth or use mouthwash (popping a piece of gum could have the same effect) - though if you previously had issues with bulimia this might not be a healthy tool for you.

If that doesn't work I

2) Eat my next planned meal. Rather than grabbing 3 ounces of cheese and a brownie I eat whatever I planned on having for lunch. It fills me up, it is healthy because it is pre-planned and chances are the cravings for the "bad" stuff will pass because I've gone through the act of eating. If I get hungry for an afternoon snack (because I ate lunch too early) I've generally calmed down enough to eat something healthier.

Using those coping strategies I may come in a few calories over for the day, but I won't have wrecked my whole day by eating brownies and cheese.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Tea, coffee and soda water with lime juice help me between meals and in the evenings when I have cravings. They fill me up and let me feel satisfied.

Allot some calories for an evening treat if that helps. Sometimes I'll pre-log a handful of Werther's Original to suck on at night time. They last forever. Or an oz of delicious sharp, aged cheddar with 4 oz of red wine. That makes me feel like I'm splurging with luxurious foods when actually I'm still within calorie goal.

That said, I'm less likely to want that stuff at all if I plan my meals well. Proteins, fats and fiber for every meal if possible. Enjoy what you eat and you won't feel dissatisfied.

Have low calorie options on hand that can help you as you learn to avoid mistaking fullness for contentedness. Until you've succeeded at learning to avoid binge cravings, it may be helpful to keep a pot of healthy, low cal soup in the fridge that won't put you way over.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I meant to add, often just knowing that I "can't" eat anything else for the day triggers a craving for more. Eating the last meal of the day and knowing I have no calories left for more, even if I don't really feel like I *want* more, makes me feel deprived. I really had to learn to get over this. Allotting calories for an evening snack really helped.
  • aninn1126
    aninn1126 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    BeChill73 wrote: »
    I have to just not buy it in the first place. If bad food is in the house I will eat the entire pack so I make sure not to buy it in the first place. Also, drinking water helps me feel full between meals.

I wish it were that easy. My husband and kids like junk food so even if I don't buy it, he will for them to share. It's always in the house. Granted, I've asked him to put it out of sight, but that Mac N Cheese always calls to me. Good thing he sends our youngest in to yell at me if I am sneaking bites out of the pot of Mac N Cheese when cooking it for her.
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    MaddieRainbowHealth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @aninn1126 Totally hear you! I live with my parents, and they always have junk around, so escaping it isn't easy.
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    Options
    @katorihanzo Awesome, thanks for the low calorie tips and tricks there. There's something about flavored seltzer that really helps keep things at bay!
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    Options
    @StarBrightStarBright Thanks for the suggestions about brushing teeth and chewing gum! And eating a low calorie meal if that doesn't work totally helps too. :)