What do you do when the munchies creep up.

Options
MrsDogLady
MrsDogLady Posts: 156 Member
edited March 2017 in Motivation and Support
I'm sure there are a few amusing ideas out there that help you overcome those weak moments. Like mine for instance, if I change the path I drive home tonight I'll skip driving past all those fast food places and groceries stores. Instead I can get straight home and the craving will have passed. Anyone else want to share their strategies?

Replies

• MrsDogLady
    Options
    Thanks! I also find that making sure I'm feeding myself good-for-me food, those cravings are not as intense.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My plan is to schedule my food and nutrition in such a way as to avoid the munchies altogether. It works.

Breakfast = high protein and fiber before work. Lunch = 4 hours after arriving at work, very light. Dinner = variety of good stuff within the remaining available calories. Snacks = Whatever calories are available after my dinner.
  • anniehiver24
    anniehiver24 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I know it's already been mentioned, but tea is what I usually go with. Or just a lot of water.

If the munchies start creeping up late at night, sometime I'll go to bed sooner that way I don't have to constantly have to fight against eating.
  • aprilkorn
    aprilkorn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Tums yes Tums helps a lot.
  • Michie112g
    Michie112g Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Night time craving suck !!! No other way to describe it !! I do great all day stick to the plan. But when the clock turns 9ishhh the craving start. I always leave 200 calories for it BUT as they say it is the worst time to eat cause right after I go to bed.
  • 1001ideaformum
    1001ideaformum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Enriching food and drink tastes with things that cost no calories: garlic, pepper, ginger, vanilla, herbs, drop of orange juice, etc.
  • GeorgiePie88
    GeorgiePie88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Rushgirl82 wrote: »
    Have a couple pickles! Seriously!

Rushgirl82, as another massive Rush fan, I LOVE your hat!

I agree with pickles too. If I want something salty/savoury, I also drink some instant miso soup. You can get them in the international section of the supermarket. Just add hot water and stir. An entire packet is only 25 calories and there is a bit of protein in it as well.

If I feel like having crisps/chips, I snack on salted roasted seaweed. Not everyone's cup of tea, but if you don't mind sushi, they can really hit the spot.

If I feel like having something sweet, I snack on frozen grapes. When you freeze them it does something to the sugars to make them taste extra sweet. It's a nice sweet and crunchy snack.

I also mash up a banana and put a few chocolate spinkles on it. Or I add a bit of honey and vanilla extract to Greek yogurt.
  • TheFitNinjas
    TheFitNinjas Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try to stay ahead of hunger by eating nutrient-dense foods—such as avocado, flaxseed, salmon, quinoa, berries, nuts, vegetables and legumes.
  • KiaraShay
    KiaraShay Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What's been my saving grace lately (sweet tooth) those flavored carbonated waters! It's like soda but nope! It's a fruity delicious zero cal/carb/sugar/fat drink! Some of that with a ton of ice! Carbonation kinda makes me full and I just sip on it, cravings go away for me! :)
  • KiaraShay
    KiaraShay Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ps, they sell them almost anywhere, Walmart, Kroger brand, in the water isle lol
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm with the people that said 'pickles'. I crush pickles daily.
  • Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Drink water or try to fit the craved good into my calorie goal. Sometimes I just need an indulgent snack.
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @GeorgiePie88 thanks! Yeah Rush is the reason I get up every day. Haha. Rush fans unite! My license plate says Geddy lol.
    I tried the seaweed this week so it's funny you mention that. Couldn't do it! Lol. But I like the banana and chocolate chips idea. :)
  • MrsDogLady
    Options

KiaraShay wrote: »
    What's been my saving grace lately (sweet tooth) those flavored carbonated waters! It's like soda but nope! It's a fruity delicious zero cal/carb/sugar/fat drink! Some of that with a ton of ice! Carbonation kinda makes me full and I just sip on it, cravings go away for me! :)

My husband loves those 3% fruit infused sparkling waters and it helped him kick the cola habit. He also lost about 12 pounds in 3 weeks.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    aprilkorn wrote: »
    Tums yes Tums helps a lot.

That's a new for me. I never heard of using tums. I eat tic tacs, mints, or chew gum.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    La Croix or Simply Ice drinks.