Body sculpt.

Options
Hi,
My friend convinced me to give her body sculpt PT session ago as I'm struggling to loose my belly fat even though I try and run 3 a week (between 15-20k) and between 2 and 3 strength sessions usually 30 minute kettlebell or dumbell workouts.
The body sculpt involves using wrist and ankle weights and is an hour long session.
Her PT was pretty confident she could help me shift my tum. Even though I know you can't spot reduce.
Anyway sorry for the rambling, just curious as to whether anyone has been to a similar class and had good results.
Thanks for help.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    did the pt talk to you at all about diet? because losing belly fat is more about diet than exercise, although exercise is great and you should do it all.
  • nikolabird
    nikolabird Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    did the pt talk to you at all about diet? because losing belly fat is more about diet than exercise, although exercise is great and you should do it all.

Hi, she didn't really as it was just a taster session. But if I start going she goes over your diet and makes tweaks to help you get the right foods in.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Deficit can be created with exercise without modifying diet, but you have to be sure your diet doesn't change or that you know what it is (because exercise can make you want to eat more and you can easily negate that deficit created). Logging is the best way to do that whether you do it on MFP or manually. MFP is easier. Body Sculpting sounds like simply a good workout trying to build muscle and lose fat, which is what most of us do here. I'd say give it a try, sometimes changing things up is all that is needed to make a big difference.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    nikolabird wrote: »

Hi, she didn't really as it was just a taster session. But if I start going she goes over your diet and makes tweaks to help you get the right foods in.

that sounds like the right way to do it.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options

There are no right foods, all thats needed is a calorie deficit. You said it yourself you know you cant spot reduce. The only way to get rid of the stomach fat is to keep losing until it comes off on its own.

If you enjoy the class or program go for it. But if youre doing it only in the hopes to get rid of stomach fat dont bother.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ...Her PT was pretty confident she could help me shift my tum. Even though I know you can't spot reduce....

The former contradicts the latter. You're correct that you can't spot reduce.

Losing your stomach fat will come from a calorie deficit. Exercise can help create that deficit, but it won't help selectively remove fat from your stomach (aka spot reduction). Nor will any particular foods/drinks. Our fat loss patterns are established by our genetics and unfortunately, for many people the fat around the midsection (stomach/love handles/back fat) is first on and last off. Exercise or eating particular foods won't change that.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...Her PT was pretty confident she could help me shift my tum. Even though I know you can't spot reduce....

The former contradicts the latter. You're correct that you can't spot reduce.

Losing your stomach fat will come from a calorie deficit. Exercise can help create that deficit, but it won't help selectively remove fat from your stomach (aka spot reduction). Nor will any particular foods/drinks. Our fat loss patterns are established by our genetics and unfortunately, for many people the fat around the midsection (stomach/love handles/back fat) is first on and last off. Exercise or eating particular foods won't change that.

^^ +1