What kicked your Butt into Gear !?

Options
I know we have all had that moment (some of us... more than once haha. ;) )

Let's motivate each other and talk about what was the moment that pushed us in the right direction !???

Hi I'm Fai and what pushed me ... is not being able to keep up with my two year old son playing and running around. He's my Push !!

What is yours ?!

Replies

• Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    brkn <3
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Medical issues. Cellulitus led to lymphedema led to referral to vascular surgeon, who told me the veins in my legs were refluxed. The condition can be managed/controlled, not cured. And the bout I had with it required multiple courses of antibiotics, plus daily dressing changes from home-care nurses until the wound healed. Any time I break the skin on my shins/calves I risk an infection. At best, it heals very slowly. And I was told that the treatment was compression stockings (wearing them now), but taking the pressure/lightening the load of what my ankles routinely have to support could only help.

And at that time, my father started pushing me to get on the wait-list for bariatric surgery. Which I don't want unless it's really the only option. He had it. So has my sister. But I like cooking. I like trying new foods. I'm vegetarian. Having to reduce/cut grains and beans isn't for me.

I used to use Weight Watchers. My previous GP recommended it. My current one just echoed the vascular surgeon that I need to lose weight. I told him I was unemployed and the weekly WW meeting fees were one preauth I didn't need. And he pointed out the obvious: I don't need them to lose weight. When I first started watching what I was eating in my teens, I'd bought a calorie-counting book. I thought I could probably find something online. And I found MFP. Joined, put in my stats, and here I am, 4 months later and 39 pounds lighter! (Still got 87 to go, but I'm in no rush.)
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I looked in the mirror one day and realized I hated what I saw so I'm going to make changes to that soon.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Getting close to 40 and realising I still don't look like Arnie! :D
  • katybear82
    katybear82 Posts: 24 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My kids and my family have always been my motivation. I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old and I would love to be able to keep up with them. My motivation this time was when my son innocently looked at me and said Mommy you're fat. Can't get mad at the poor kid because 4 year olds don't have filters. Do you want to know the truth ask a preschooler LOL after explaining to him that it was not nice to say that to people I decided it was time to do something about my weight. I restarted this journey on Saturday and I am already down 1.4 pounds.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    My original motivation three years ago was a massive weight gain from taking antipsychotic medication. My appetite was completely out of control and I became so heavy it was hard to do things like tie my shoes. Along with counting calories with another app I started exercising as well. The exercise along with a 30 pound loss really made life easier and tracking just didn't seem as important after 6 months. So, even though I'm perfectly aware obesity is unhealthy I was kinda wishy washy yo-yoing for the next couple of years and ended up putting all the weight back on and more.

Then my husband's job moved us to Reno this summer, which is my new kick in the butt. The lifestyle here is based around the outdoors. People get outside and do things year round. The kicker is the hills are steep and the elevation makes everything more difficult. We bought a house in a tiny mountain valley at 5000' and suddenly my fitness level was no longer cutting it. I couldn't even walk up the main street in our subdivision without stopping for a break. I took my bike out and felt like I was going to die. I went to the doctor to see if I was having trouble adjusting to the altitude, but she did an oxygen test and said I had acclimated.

We did a kayak tour at Tahoe and I had to ask for a different boat because I didn't fit in the first one, the wider one still wasn't comfortable, and we had a really hard time keeping up with the group. I didn't feel like I could fully take advantage of all the great recreation opportunities available to me at my size.

So, in my usual several times a year attempts I started tracking on MFP again and walking every day. For whatever reason I've stuck with it this time. I'm close to breaking my old tracking record of 6 months and am at my lowest weight since I started tracking my weight in January of 2014. I did my usual C25K this winter and for the first time moved onto the 10K program. I've beat my old lifting streak too, going on 6 months now. I guess I finally have a good reason to get fit, so I'm actually doing it this time.
  • anniehiver24
    anniehiver24 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was fit before but not because I tried really hard, I just moved away from a unhealthy (in terms of what they ate and their activity level) family into an environment that really pushed me physically. So the weight loss came easily.
    Although, the past october I severly sprained my ankle and I was off of physical fitness for a month, and even months afterwards (and sometimes eve now) effects my performance.

My kick in the butt to get into fitness more seriously and regularly was I was going to a Gala, and a dress that use to be too big for me I now had to get my friends to help zip it up. There were other signs, like while playing my sport (fencing), I had a more difficult time breathing, or when trying to do a push up and I couldn't, but it was the dress thing that was a visible sign for me to finally take it more seriously and focus on my body again.
  • Fai30
    Fai30 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    fidycixer wrote: »
    brkn <3

Hiiii I have no idea what this means ! But I'm so happy that your in gear !
  • Fai30
    Options
    Medical issues. Cellulitus led to lymphedema led to referral to vascular surgeon, who told me the veins in my legs were refluxed. The condition can be managed/controlled, not cured. And the bout I had with it required multiple courses of antibiotics, plus daily dressing changes from home-care nurses until the wound healed. Any time I break the skin on my shins/calves I risk an infection. At best, it heals very slowly. And I was told that the treatment was compression stockings (wearing them now), but taking the pressure/lightening the load of what my ankles routinely have to support could only help.

And at that time, my father started pushing me to get on the wait-list for bariatric surgery. Which I don't want unless it's really the only option. He had it. So has my sister. But I like cooking. I like trying new foods. I'm vegetarian. Having to reduce/cut grains and beans isn't for me.

I used to use Weight Watchers. My previous GP recommended it. My current one just echoed the vascular surgeon that I need to lose weight. I told him I was unemployed and the weekly WW meeting fees were one preauth I didn't need. And he pointed out the obvious: I don't need them to lose weight. When I first started watching what I was eating in my teens, I'd bought a calorie-counting book. I thought I could probably find something online. And I found MFP. Joined, put in my stats, and here I am, 4 months later and 39 pounds lighter! (Still got 87 to go, but I'm in no rush.)

I am so sorry that you have been suffering so many medical issues, but you know what.... LOOK AT YOU NOW !! Woahhh almost 40 pounds down in 4 months !!

You have become a source of inspiration for those around you. I know it must be a lot of hard work and it is challenging every single day, but its so worth it ! Am I right !?

I'm so happy that you opted to not to the surgery, because surgery is tough :(

I just had to have my gallbladder removed due to complications during pregnancy and its been a painful recovery.

I also eat a primarily veg diet ! Let's swap recipes !! <3

Keep Sweating Super Star !!
  • Fai30
    Options
    I looked in the mirror one day and realized I hated what I saw so I'm going to make changes to that soon.

Me too, a lot of days.

Cheers to Loving our bodies again :)
  • Fai30
    Options
    Buff_Man wrote: »
    Getting close to 40 and realising I still don't look like Arnie! :D

You'll get there yet my friend ! Your inspiration is Perfect !
    ;)

Ill be back xx

• Fai30
    Options
    katybear82 wrote: »
    My kids and my family have always been my motivation. I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old and I would love to be able to keep up with them. My motivation this time was when my son innocently looked at me and said Mommy you're fat. Can't get mad at the poor kid because 4 year olds don't have filters. Do you want to know the truth ask a preschooler LOL after explaining to him that it was not nice to say that to people I decided it was time to do something about my weight. I restarted this journey on Saturday and I am already down 1.4 pounds.

Family and Children are the best source of inspiration . Esp when the innocent ones say and do the darnest things.

My two year old played with my stomach the other day and said "squishy" repeated as he poked it for about 5 mins.

Having a two year old poke your belly and call it squishy for 2 mins doesn't seem like a long time. But it's a very long time.

And look at you, already dropping those pounds ! Good job !! Keep going girl !!

• brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a specific moment, but i had quite a few building up moments. Once after waiting 1.5 hours in line for a roller coaster (cedar point, top thrills dragster), I almost couldn't ride because the buckle wouldn't reach. Alot of straining and alot of will and i got it to latch. that memory stuck with me
  • Fai30
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My original motivation three years ago was a massive weight gain from taking antipsychotic medication. My appetite was completely out of control and I became so heavy it was hard to do things like tie my shoes. Along with counting calories with another app I started exercising as well. The exercise along with a 30 pound loss really made life easier and tracking just didn't seem as important after 6 months. So, even though I'm perfectly aware obesity is unhealthy I was kinda wishy washy yo-yoing for the next couple of years and ended up putting all the weight back on and more.

Then my husband's job moved us to Reno this summer, which is my new kick in the butt. The lifestyle here is based around the outdoors. People get outside and do things year round. The kicker is the hills are steep and the elevation makes everything more difficult. We bought a house in a tiny mountain valley at 5000' and suddenly my fitness level was no longer cutting it. I couldn't even walk up the main street in our subdivision without stopping for a break. I took my bike out and felt like I was going to die. I went to the doctor to see if I was having trouble adjusting to the altitude, but she did an oxygen test and said I had acclimated.

We did a kayak tour at Tahoe and I had to ask for a different boat because I didn't fit in the first one, the wider one still wasn't comfortable, and we had a really hard time keeping up with the group. I didn't feel like I could fully take advantage of all the great recreation opportunities available to me at my size.

So, in my usual several times a year attempts I started tracking on MFP again and walking every day. For whatever reason I've stuck with it this time. I'm close to breaking my old tracking record of 6 months and am at my lowest weight since I started tracking my weight in January of 2014. I did my usual C25K this winter and for the first time moved onto the 10K program. I've beat my old lifting streak too, going on 6 months now. I guess I finally have a good reason to get fit, so I'm actually doing it this time.

Lady, YOU ARE A SOURCE OF INSPIRATION. Look at you ! Wanting to get healthy because you want to take advantage of you life !! Isn't that the most amazing and isn't it such a clear and simple reasoning.

I love that, I want to take advantage of the summer this year, and play with my son. I wanna go rafting and hiking and really take advantage of being in Ontario this year. We have lived in the Middle East the past few years, and didn't really get to spend time outdoors due to the Extreme heat and lack of green spaces to play with him.

Btw Ive never made it to the 6 month mark... I really hope I do as well !

<3

Keep going girl, Your gonna be leading the group kayaking this year it seems xx

• Fai30
    Options
    I was fit before but not because I tried really hard, I just moved away from a unhealthy (in terms of what they ate and their activity level) family into an environment that really pushed me physically. So the weight loss came easily.
    Although, the past october I severly sprained my ankle and I was off of physical fitness for a month, and even months afterwards (and sometimes eve now) effects my performance.

My kick in the butt to get into fitness more seriously and regularly was I was going to a Gala, and a dress that use to be too big for me I now had to get my friends to help zip it up. There were other signs, like while playing my sport (fencing), I had a more difficult time breathing, or when trying to do a push up and I couldn't, but it was the dress thing that was a visible sign for me to finally take it more seriously and focus on my body again.

Ahhh dresses, me too.. I was unpacking my summer clothes last weekend... and ... those neon Mango Jeans... wont be seen this summer for sure hahaha but maybe next summer ?

I suffered an ankle injury a number of years ago as well.

It's really hard..those thing just have a way of never being the same again.
    But you will get better. Just takes some time...and if your like me.... it's prbly couldn't be fast enough.

How did you get into fencing !?
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Fai30 wrote: »

Lady, YOU ARE A SOURCE OF INSPIRATION. Look at you ! Wanting to get healthy because you want to take advantage of you life !! Isn't that the most amazing and isn't it such a clear and simple reasoning.

I love that, I want to take advantage of the summer this year, and play with my son. I wanna go rafting and hiking and really take advantage of being in Ontario this year. We have lived in the Middle East the past few years, and didn't really get to spend time outdoors due to the Extreme heat and lack of green spaces to play with him.

Btw Ive never made it to the 6 month mark... I really hope I do as well !

<3

Keep going girl, Your gonna be leading the group kayaking this year it seems xx

You're so sweet, you're gonna make me blush. We sound like we're in a similar spot with moving from the heat. I had lived in Las Vegas my whole life. Beautiful winters, but too hot to really do anything the rest of the year. Enjoy your cool Canadian summers. You will make it to that six month mark before you know it.
  • peanutbuttertuesday
    peanutbuttertuesday Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My vacation out of state in December. Stayed at the in-laws and had to see myself in their full length mirror every day. Went shopping for jeans for my birthday and couldn't find anything that fit right. Felt stuck in poorly fitted clothes due to my poorly fitted body. Also I was having knee pain and kinda knew it was from my weight. So far I am down 20 pounds and no more knee pain.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Fai30 wrote: »

I am so sorry that you have been suffering so many medical issues, but you know what.... LOOK AT YOU NOW !! Woahhh almost 40 pounds down in 4 months !!

You have become a source of inspiration for those around you. I know it must be a lot of hard work and it is challenging every single day, but its so worth it ! Am I right !?

I'm so happy that you opted to not to the surgery, because surgery is tough :(

I just had to have my gallbladder removed due to complications during pregnancy and its been a painful recovery.

I also eat a primarily veg diet ! Let's swap recipes !! <3

Keep Sweating Super Star !!

Sent you a friend request. Awww shucks! I don't feel like a source of inspiration. Just doing what I have to and hoping that this time I make it to maintenance. But yes, this is definitely worth it. Seeing my GP next week to check health markers. Hoping for good results!
  • katybear82
    katybear82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »
    I didn't have a specific moment, but i had quite a few building up moments. Once after waiting 1.5 hours in line for a roller coaster (cedar point, top thrills dragster), I almost couldn't ride because the buckle wouldn't reach. Alot of straining and alot of will and i got it to latch. that memory stuck with me

I had the same thing happen to me. I was taking my son on a roller coaster and had to suck in to get the bar locked. The attendant looked at me with disgust before turning to the next car to lock their bar. Horrible feeling.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I had to buy a couple new pairs of jeans because I was really pushing my last ones and was getting pretty close to 170lbs (at 5' ) when I swore I'd never break 160, and then 150 before that. I saw a picture of me going out in an outfit I thought I liked and decided to start making small changes.
    Now those new jeans I bought are getting pretty lose, and my old jeans are fitting better!