I feel like I can't do it

Options
I really need support and kind words.
I decided to start my lifestyle change today.
I didn't go over my calorie limit but most of my calories were from snacks.
This app puts a lot in to perspective...
Part of me just doesnt know how to eat right and I need to learn. And the other part of me needs to keep the motivation to keep working out so I can go beyond just 15 minutes on an elliptical.

I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time staying motivated and getting into a workout routine.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    You can do this. There is nothing wrong with snacking whatsoever. As long as you're eating in a deficit, the weight is going to come off. Friend me if you like; my diary is open and I'm happy to share recipes if you want any vegetarian/vegan ones. (I do cook meat for my husband, but he's not trying to lose weight and I don't know the calories.)

If you don't mind my asking, what motivated you to start?

In my case, it took a stick. Or, to put it a different way, my luck ran out and I got refluxed veins in my legs (which signaled their distress by giving me cellulitus which led to lymph edema which led to a referral to a vascular surgeon which led to the diagnosis). The vascular surgeon pointed out that forcing my legs to carry more of me than they were designed to do isn't helping. My motivator is avoiding a lymph edema flare-up. I've had one that required multiple courses of antibiotics and daily visits from home-care nurses to treat. If losing weight will help my circulation and help ward off another one, that's what I'm doing.
  • mrsjeffreyp
    mrsjeffreyp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I first started I simply logged my calories and saw what and where I needed to change. I did not worry about meeting my goals until I saw everything in black and white. Exercise is not easy all the time. Do not beat yourself up, you are just beginning. You will get many good suggestions from the wonderful people on here.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    When I first started I simply logged my calories and saw what and where I needed to change. I did not worry about meeting my goals until I saw everything in black and white. Exercise is not easy all the time. Do not beat yourself up, you are just beginning. You will get many good suggestions from the wonderful people on here.

This. When I got on MFP, I spent the first 3 weeks eating exactly the same as I always did. It was eye-opening. Things that I thought weren't that bad sometimes were really full of calories. Then on the other hand, some days I realised I didn't have to dratically cut out all the bad food - there is still room for some "treat food" if you do well in other areas.

Last night I had met my protein and fibre goals (they are my two must-do's in a day), and still had calories left. Hello bowl of ice cream! It fit, so I had it.

Also, make sure you are not cutting your calories too drastically. You would be likey setting yourself up for failure in the long run. Take some time to figure our what you need to maintain your current weight. Then once you KNOW that amount (not just trust what an online calculator says), you can cut back to an amount that will still nourish your body, but also lose fat. The online calculators are wrong for me, they give a maintenance amount 400 calories less than what it really is - I had to invest time to figure it out myself.