All the 5'7" people out there... or anyone beginning.

Options
DGSki
DGSki Posts: 71 Member
I am 5'7" and weigh 196; I was hoping to be 160 which would be 10 lbs less than what I weighed when I graduated high school. I see tons of girls on here that are in the 140-150 range my same height. Did you start off saying you wanted to be at that goal or did you just get there? I think everyone looks amazing, and I would love to be that weight range if I could but it seems so far. I am going to stick to my 160 as my ultimate goal for now, but I just wanted to see what others my same height thought when they started.

Replies

• bluefever
    bluefever Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and at my highest (not pregnant) I was about 192. I knew that 140 looked pretty good on me, thats what I was when I was 20. However I was definatly skinny fat. My body seems to like the 145-150 mark and it's really hard to get any lower.

Take it 10lbs at a time. Thats what I did and it seemed less daunting. Every 10lbs mark was a little mini celebration. You may hit 160 and think you want to go further or you may like what 160 feels like.

For me 160 still didn't feel fit, but thats me and and my goal.

Goodluck to you.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and weigh 196; I was hoping to be 160 which would be 10 lbs less than what I weighed when I graduated high school. I see tons of girls on here that are in the 140-150 range my same height. Did you start off saying you wanted to be at that goal or did you just get there? I think everyone looks amazing, and I would love to be that weight range if I could but it seems so far. I am going to stick to my 160 as my ultimate goal for now, but I just wanted to see what others my same height thought when they started.

I knew that 135 to 140 was a good weight for me and fairly easy to maintain because I had been at that weight for more than 20 years.
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    im 5 ft 7 and weigh currently around 117-118 pounds. Its annoying though because although thats quite a low weight in comparison with most people my height, all that weight is concentrated on my bums and thighs, and ive lost it all from my arms and bust so I have a bizarre spindly pear shaped body atthe moment!
  • goldnanoparticle
    goldnanoparticle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and weigh 196

Wow - you are my twin! 5'7" and I weighed in at 196 this morning. Best of luck with your weight goals!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    We could be identical. I'm 5' 7" with a starting weight of 196 (pre-pregnancy). My original goal was 155. I'm 126 now.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Holy gravy. You just wrote my life story. I got down to 160, I really liked my body at 160. I was toned and curvy. I loved it. Can't wait to get back there.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    im 5"7. and im like 120ish, i dunno i haven't weighed myself in months.
    all of my weight is on my thighs.
    the problem is, is that i would be at maintenance right now, but my thighs are so big i have to try and loose some fat from them!
    it sucks!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" -- well, technically 5'6.6" -- but my ultimate goal is 125. I have a very narrow bone structure, and spent my teens around 115 (and size 3). 125 will put me around a size 5-7, thanks to a change in hip shape post-children. At 160, I'm around a size 12.

I think you just need to consider what looks good on you and what you can realistically maintain once you lose. 125 may not be realistic for me, once (if?) I get there. But I know I look good at that weight, so I'd like to be back there.
  • littleali
    littleali Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 7" and I half and am in the 130's/140's. I had wanted to stop at 160, got there (from 202) and still felt large! I was a US 10 at 160ish, and am now hovering between a 4-6 (UK 8-10ish) but because of my massive hips and ribcage and general large frame, I doubt i'll get much slimmer! I would ideally like to be 125-130 now, upon reflection and toned as hell!
  • LimeyTart
    LimeyTart Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm just a hair under 5'8". When I started MFP, I was at 194 and my goal was to lose 40 pounds. I'm 9 pounds past that now, at 145. I'm a size 6 at this weight, but I have a small or medium frame, depending on the calculator I use. I was thrilled to get to my original goal of 154, but I just figured I'd keep going and see what happened. My new goal is 135, but if I don't get there, I won't care.
  • akninsas
    akninsas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Im also 5'7" and I have a medium/large frame. I first went with 160 as my goal, but then decided I would love to be in the 150s so I set my goal to 155. After always struggling with my weight, it will be a huge accomplishment to reach it and if Im still not happy with myself at 155 I will continue on my journey on.
  • reikime
    reikime Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, Summertime girl- you are so right about differences in ideal weight for height. I am 5'7" and weigh 212. Wearing a 14-16.

Last year I got down to 187, felt GREAT and was wearing a 10-12. Unfortunately, a bout of hormone rage, complacency about dieting and plantar faciitis joined up to throw 30 pounds back on my bod. yuck!

Pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get to 125 anymore. would be scary skinny at that weight. Maybe it's cuz I'm about to turn 51?
    Don't get me wrong I would love to try! hehe I have lots of muscle from years of tennis and weight training in my 20's and 30's.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8.5" & my weight before MFP was 158 lbs. Now my weight fluctuates anywhere between 127 & 133 lbs. My original goal was 135 lbs; I knew I could get down to @ least that weight because that's the weight I had been for the majority of my entire adult life. Now all I need to do is TONE TONE TONE!!!

★ Good luck in your weight loss journey! ★
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options
    I'm about 5'7" and I started off around 155 and set my goal at 135. Right now I'm at 133 but I think I'll continue to lose weight as long as I stay healthy and eat correctly. Definitely want to stay toned!
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", weighing in at an embarrassing 230 lbs... my goal is 138 because that will be a 100 lb loss from my starting weight. I've NEVER been that weight, so I have no idea what I will look like. I'm just going to try and keep losing till I feel comfortable in my body and have a flat stomach!!!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 244 lbs at my highest, and currently 213. My goal is 160 lbs. That's what I weighed my senior year in high school and looking at my prom pictures, I have to say it was a good weight for me.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8". Several years ago, I lost a lot of weight and got close to my goal weight of 160 (I got to 165, but I was using an analog scale that I think was a few pounds lower than reality). I figure I'll be satisfied with myself at 160. I'll be in a healthy weight range. Sure, some people wouldn't be happy at that weight and height, but I wouldn't want to work that much harder to get lower and sustain it. I've packed on the pounds since then. I've got 42 lbs to go to my goal.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Another 5'7" checking in.

I am pear shaped and was 117 at my skinniest (in high school) and I looked too thin. Way too thin. I was at my heaviest starting MFP at 175. I picked 145 as a goal since that is the weight I thought I looked best, but i reserve the right to reassess my goal when I reach it!

I currently weigh about 152 and have a link to a picture posted below from when I was hiking this past weekend compared to last September hiking when I was 175, if you want to see how much of a difference 20-odd pounds make:
    http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x451/ih8ham/TESTDOC.jpg

I forgot to add:
    At 175 I was a tight size 12 (US), loose size 14
    Currently I am a size 10 and have been since about 160 pounds.
  • Mybetterme
    Mybetterme Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I wanna be 148 my highschool weight. Im 160 ish in my pic I think I look fat so I am hoping with a 12 pd loss I wont look fat anymore. I have been up to 186 5 yrs ago.
  • DGSki
    DGSki Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! It really does help alot hearing everyones weights it gives me a good idea of what/where I want to be. I am going to shoot for 160, and then take it from there. Anything is healthier where I am right now :) Good Luck to everyone and keep up the great work!