Starvation Mode

Options
Me:
female
5'5"
140#
35 years old
I never really thought "starvation mode" was real. Mainly because I was eating 1250 calories and exercising everyday and only lost a pound a week. I thought that surely reduction in calories by 200/day would just expidite my weight loss. I was wrong.

In my attempt to lose 6 pounds in 3 weeks, I was eating around 1000 calories a day and exercising everyday burning around 450 calories/day. I lost zero pounds. Frustrated and defeated, I decided to take a break. I'm still exercising (but less vigorous, only burning around 250-300 calories) and eating around 1500-1800 calories a day. I think I've actually gained a few pounds. Has anyone else had this experience??

Replies

• eeveewinter
    eeveewinter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are not in starvation mode. It does not exist. You simply under ate (damaged your body) and you are retaining water because you body is repairing itself (temporary weight gain (water/muscle)). This is common if you diet and exercise. If you calorie-counted properly, you have not gained weight (fat).
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Does a body work efficiently when you eat too little or don't stay hydrated? No. I know this is not scientific, but I believe that if you're under eating you won't be able to put in the workout effort to burn the high # of calories you think you're burning. That, and it adds stress to the body and stress can cause water weight.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    How do you know how many calories you are eating?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    And your body can slow down your normal daily activity, which is usually bigger burner of daily calories than a workout.
    Nothing like slowing down daily by 300 cal and adding a 200 cal workout.

other reasons for slow down too.

But none of them lead to the effects commonly said to exist with starvation mode, which is better named the adaptive thermogenesis that studies for years have shown exist when you get extreme with diet.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    candessb wrote: »
    Me:
    female
    5'5"
    140#
    35 years old
    I never really thought "starvation mode" was real. Mainly because I was eating 1250 calories and exercising everyday and only lost a pound a week. I thought that surely reduction in calories by 200/day would just expidite my weight loss. I was wrong.

In my attempt to lose 6 pounds in 3 weeks, I was eating around 1000 calories a day and exercising everyday burning around 450 calories/day. I lost zero pounds. Frustrated and defeated, I decided to take a break. I'm still exercising (but less vigorous, only burning around 250-300 calories) and eating around 1500-1800 calories a day. I think I've actually gained a few pounds. Has anyone else had this experience??

Eating more and gaining weight? Yes.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Everyone that comes out of a diet is going to gain most of the water weight back that they had a big drop in the first week or two of starting a diet.

No one starts a diet and loses 5 lbs of fat the first week - most is water weight.
    Starting eating about normal - back it comes.

But good news - it's a part of LBM, the body must manage it, and it increases your metabolism. A little bit.

What's usually more beneficial is the increased energy you get, moving more, having better workouts, see better results.

Not necessarily.

There is one specific protocol that can has been shown to peel roughly 6 pounds of fat in a four day period. However, due to how extreme it is, you end up having to take a two week diet break after those few days, just to keep your hormones from crashing. It also requires an amount of exercise that most just don't have time for (walking 20 miles).

I only even bother bringing it up, because you used rather strong language with "no one starts a diet and loses 5 lbs. of fat in the first week." It can be done, it's just not a good idea for most (read 99.99999% of people).
  • lindymacl
    lindymacl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ask an outrageous question here - you're already at a healthy weight, why do you feel the need to lose six more pounds? I see a lot of posts like this and find it quite concerning.
  • candessb
    candessb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    So, first, thank you al for your replies. To answer a few of you, I am absolutely positive I am properly logging my calories. I was measuring, weighing and logging every solitary thing that passed through my lips. I have an electronic scale and was not guessing at all. The only "guess work" would be total calories burned though exercise, but I think my Fitbit is fairly accurate.

Another thing I'd like to address the "why do you need to lose weight?" question. I'm a healthy weight. Yes. Which is great. But I'm looking for my ideal weight now. Weight lose of 10 pounds would still have me in a healthy weight range and would cause less stress on my joints, heart and lungs, plus I would be slimmer/leaner and more confident in my own skin. It's a personal ideal and choice.

Third, I did not gain any weight during the two weeks, but once I ate at my maintanance rate, I gained. Now, it might be water weight, like someone suggested. But frustrating, nonetheless.

Thanks for any/all insight. It is greatly appreciated!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Everyone that comes out of a diet is going to gain most of the water weight back that they had a big drop in the first week or two of starting a diet.

No one starts a diet and loses 5 lbs of fat the first week - most is water weight.

But good news - it's a part of LBM, the body must manage it, and it increases your metabolism. A little bit.

What's usually more beneficial is the increased energy you get, moving more, having better workouts, see better results.

Not necessarily.

There is one specific protocol that can has been shown to peel roughly 6 pounds of fat in a four day period. However, due to how extreme it is, you end up having to take a two week diet break after those few days, just to keep your hormones from crashing. It also requires an amount of exercise that most just don't have time for (walking 20 miles).

I only even bother bringing it up, because you used rather strong language with "no one starts a diet and loses 5 lbs. of fat in the first week." It can be done, it's just not a good idea for most (read 99.99999% of people).

Going by the availability of 31 calories per pound of body fat per day ( http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/Rapid_Fat_Loss_What_is_the_Maximum_Rate_of_Fat_loss.cfm) to lose 6lb of fat in 4 days you would need to be carrying about 170lb of body fat. Otherwise you would not be able to sustain that deficit through fat alone and the loss would be partly muscle.

So yes, it's possible, but only if you are morbidly obese. Even to lose 5lb of fat in a week would require 80lb of body fat.

For OP, who is in the normal weight range, it is not possible.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode as you describe it isn't real. You will burn fewer calories if you eat a low amount, but that is because you start to lose your will to move around and because there is less that your body has to do to metabolize food. You will not, however, stop burning calories or losing weight until you drop dead (which is a possibility if you eat too little).
  • candessb
    candessb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    While my motivation to move was definitely lowered, the reduction in overall calories burned (according to my fitbit HR) was only about 100 calories less per day.
    I cannot explain the fact that I didn't lose anything! We don't have to call it starvation mode, but I am thouroughly convinced that my metabolism slowed down significantly enough to hault weight loss for what I was doing (which numerically speaking should have dropped pounds).
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Not necessarily.

Going by the availability of 31 calories per pound of body fat per day ( http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/Rapid_Fat_Loss_What_is_the_Maximum_Rate_of_Fat_loss.cfm) to lose 6lb of fat in 4 days you would need to be carrying about 170lb of body fat. Otherwise you would not be able to sustain that deficit through fat alone and the loss would be partly muscle.

So yes, it's possible, but only if you are morbidly obese. Even to lose 5lb of fat in a week would require 80lb of body fat.

Anecdotally as someone who has run the protocol mentioned by @Gallowmere1984 , whilst having less than 30lbs of fat mass and losing somewhere in the region of 2.5-4lbs of fat, the above does not stand true.

If you have a read over on bodyrecomposition, you will see a number of logs where people have successfully lost 3+lbs of fat in 4 days using this protocol.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Not necessarily.

LBM loss always occurs, whether people want to believe it or not. It may not be skeletal muscle, but people often forget that water, connective tissue for fat, excess skin, etc. counts as LBM.

Anyway, here's an explanation of the study the four day cut is based on, because the study itself is behind a ridiculous paywall: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/time-efficient-reduction-fat-mass-4-days-exercise-caloric-restriction-research-review.html/

And yes, it was done on overweight men, but Lyle's modifications to their methods in creating ERFL actually ended up making it viable for leaner individuals.