Breastfeeding and Getting discouraged

Options
After cutting calories and working out I've noticed about a 10 oz difference in my milk supply (I pump exclusively so I'm able to track the differences) I want to get in better shape and be healthier but I also want to provide my son milk until he's 1 year corrected (he's a preemie and was born 10 weeks early) but I'm not sure if I can keep up with his needs while on this mission. Has anyone else been in the same boat?

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I would eat more and at least eat maintenance or only slightly less if I were you...he's only little for a little while
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I would eat more and at least eat maintenance or only slightly less if I were you...he's only little for a little while

This^^. They do grow up so fast. Honest.
  • SandyS051616
    SandyS051616 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

How do I figure out what my maintenance amount is? I want to be able to have more energy to keep up with him and my older kids and not be so tired all day. I know I can do that by getting healthier.
  • clyn90
    clyn90 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ok so I read an article a year ago when I was still breastfeeding. In said article it said to calculate extra calorie needs for breastfeeding by multiplying the number of oz (easy for you since you pump) by 20. There are 20 calories in an oz of milk. So I was pumping 25 oz a day, that's 25x20= 500 calories. I entered breastfeeding in as a cardio workout with burning 20 calories per "minute" and then would enter the number of oz I produced that day in the minute section. I would eat in a deficit but then eat back all of the "workout calories" of breastfeeding and also half of my workout calories from actual workouts. Also what you eat matters when it comes to breastfeeding. I made sure to keep my protein and whole grains high. Oatmeal, flax seeds and almonds are said to help milk production. I also took fenugreek (sp?) the first couple of weeks of starting my diet but didn't need it long once my body adjusted. When you are breast feeding it is really trial and error to see what your body needs to keep up with baby. Good luck!!!!!!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options

How do I figure out what my maintenance amount is? I want to be able to have more energy to keep up with him and my older kids and not be so tired all day. I know I can do that by getting healthier.

Increase to where your milk supply is sufficient again and where your weight is stable (no gains or losses). It will take some trial and error.