I don't get it...

Options
First week I lost 3 pounds
second week I lost 2 pounds
third week I lost 2 pounds
fourth week I gained 2 pounds

The only thing that changed from week 3 to 4 is that I changed my activity level from sedentary to lightly active, and that changed my calories from 1250 to 1420. I am a stay at home mom, and am usually doing housework and carrying the baby around the house.

This week I also started doing different exercises, instead of walking every day, I upped my cardio and got a heart rate monitor. So should I change my activity back to sedentary? I'm also eating most of my exercise calories too, execpt last night. I'm just getting frustrated already. If I hadn't lost anything, I'd be ok. But the 2 lb gain is getting me down.

Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• denyann
    denyann Posts: 15
    Options

The only thing that changed from week 3 to 4 is that I changed my activity level from sedentary to lightly active, and that changed my calories from 1250 to 1420. I am a stay at home mom, and am usually doing housework and carrying the baby around the house.

This week I also started doing different exercises, instead of walking every day, I upped my cardio and got a heart rate monitor. So should I change my activity back to sedentary? I'm also eating most of my exercise calories too, execpt last night. I'm just getting frustrated already. If I hadn't lost anything, I'd be ok. But the 2 lb gain is getting me down.

• Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Going from sedatory to light active can mean a little increase in weight - you're exercising your muscles, therefore they become heavier.
    Make sure you drink plenty of water too :drinker:
    Hope that made sense :flowerforyou:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    also, you're talking 4 weeks - menstruation can make us weigh more too - but don't dispair, oyu'll soon loose again. Keep drinking that water :drinker:
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Not to be TMI or anything but did you get your period? I know that when I get mine I always retain so much water that week! I had a really minor weight loss when I had mine., and was totally defeated until I realized why. The next week I was down even more!

If not, try shocking your body. If doing the same kinds of exercise, mix it up a little (its probably getting less challenging for your body). Same with food, if you eat the same things your body gets bored, try mixing it up a little.

Our weight fluctuates so much throughout the day. Make sure you are weighing yourself at the same time everyday (first thing in the morning)

Good Luck and don't be discouraged! You have made great progress so far, and you will see the scale go down again in no time!
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    Slight rises are a normal part of weight loss. Bloating is probably the culprit. Relax and keep it up.

Also add in taking your measurments once a month. It is amazing how your body can shrink without losing a pound. There was an 8 week stretch where I didn't lose an ounce but I still managed to lose over 6 inches.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Also, don't forget the first week there will be some water loss.
    Which traditionally doesn't persist for many weeks.
    So initially losing 3 lbs the first week could be 1 lb water 2 lbs other weight.

Don't get discouraged.
  • denyann
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm 2 weeks away from my cycle. I have cut out all of my diet soda in the last 2 weeks to, except for maybe 1 every other night. And I did change up my exercises starting Monday. I'll keep at it though, I just wish I had been even instead of a gain of weight.

Thanks again :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing the same thing as you Denyann, and what I figured out is that when you lose weight, you also have to reduce your calories. I went back to my goals page and recalculated, and turns out that I should be eating 250 less cals than when I began, only a month ago. So every few pounds, go back and recalculate your goals. I have now lost the 2 lbs I had re-gained, so I'm back to where I was when I hit the "wall". In about a week (I hope) I should be seeing losses again. Fingers crossed!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    First let's examine what happened

ok we see that over a four week period you lost 5 lbs. that's not bad! Pretty good actually.
    We all know from our newbie posts (hopefully everyone read their newbie posts) that you can gain and/or loose up to 5 lbs in any given 24 hour period based on a myriad of things, including menstrul cycle, water retention (could be a cause considering muscles retain water and you did change how you work your muscles), and bowel cycles. So 1 week isn't really a very good indicator.

next we look at what changed

you changed your eating pattern, you changed your workout routine, and you are now measureing your calorie expendature more accurately. All of these things can have an impact on your weight loss. However, none of them are a cause for concern. It can take the body weeks upon weeks to re-adjust after a change in eating habbits and exercise.

My suggestion would be to give yourself at least a month on this new program, then revisit your results, if you still aren't seeing a renewed weight loss, then I would tweak some of the factors slightly (I.E. maybe lower your calories by a hundred or so, or maybe change some of the things you are eating, look at other nutritional factors besides just calories and carbs.)
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    If you are active you are building muscle. I built muscle before I ever lost any fat. This could be what's going on. The scale isn't always accurate as to our "fitness". A measuring tape might tell you you are losing inches.

denise in Sams Valley:)

PS I've also learned that if I am "full" I will pay attention to that before the "numbers" on the food diary. If I have eaten enough, my body and how I "feel" all around is a much better indicator for me. I average between 50 and 75% of my exercise cals(eating them)

• denyann
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your responses :)