I think my fiance is wrong...what do you think???

Options
2»

Replies

• Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I still get sore especially when adding weight to my strength training workouts. I love that feeling...I know I'm pushing it then!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    psshh...ive been working my *kitten* off since jan, and ive been sore this whole week, my calves and quadriceps are on friggin fire right now .
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Anytime you go ripping and abusing your muscles during strenght training your going to have soreness. Just make sure you are spending quality time stretching. 20 to 30 minutes a day.
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    As they would say on the Marriage Ref "CORRIE IS RIGHT!

Maybe you should suggest he join you at the gym and see how he feels :)
    Love this!!
  • rjyoung
    rjyoung Posts: 17
    Options
    If you aren't sore afterwards, you didn't work hard enough! ;)

No but seriously... he's wrong. lol

Agreed!!!
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Your fiance sounds like my hubby...lol.....
    So the other day I came back from the gym and was sore because i had pushed myself.....not too hard but still felt that I had a workout....so I was tender.....anyway he came by joking around and squeezed my leg -- I said -- oh no dont do that....he says -- you've been doing this for 2 weeks now you shouldnt still be sore from working out.....

He says the same thing about strength training..... is he right??
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    He got chest hair? Give that a little tug next time he messes with you. Apparently it's quite painful. :bigsmile:
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    He's somewhat right. But it depends on the workout. most weight lifters will focus on specific muscles once or twice a week. The first 2 workouts on specific muscles make you sore. But after that you really shouldn't be that sore. those muscles get used to being ripped up and healing. you don't feel too much soreness after that 3rd workout. continuing to feel soreness may be due to not resting enough. that's why, weight lifters only do each workout once a week, they get a lot of rest and get a lot of protein.

not getting enough rest between workouts will leave you sore and it won't grow the muscle and won't increase strength. But this all depends on the way you workout. If your workouts are the same each time, and you feel sore, then you aren't getting enough rest. But if your workouts are random and you do something different each time then you may not be gaining strength. But if your workouts are solely to burn calories then I would stay away from strength training if you are always sore. If you're not gaining strength with each workout, then you aren't doing it right.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Anytime you go ripping and abusing your muscles during strenght training your going to have soreness. Just make sure you are spending quality time stretching. 20 to 30 minutes a day.

+1 (million) on this. As everyone else has said, yes, you should be sore. It means you are pushing yourself. But if you are not in your first few days of working out (or your first few days after being off for two weeks or more), and your muscles feel like they're "on friggin fire" as someone else said, that means you aren't stretching them enough after you workout.
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Well, the answer can be yes and no. Lactic acid buildup is what causes soreness, which is in turn caused by using your muscles for a period of time. However, you could also not be drinking enough water. They say 8 glasses a day is for people who do not exercise. If you do, then you need more than that.

Additionally, some foods (milk for example) have lactic acid within them too. So, be careful of that.

Finally, stretching will help make the lactic acid leave your body. Stretch before and after. Mix up static stretching (most common) with dynamic stretching (stretching by movement).
    Great advice on the stretching! However, the lactic acid causing soreness theory has been debunked. There appears to be no association between the Lactic Acid levels and soreness in muscles.
    "Contrary to popular opinion, lactate or, as it is often called, lactic acid buildup is not responsible for the muscle soreness felt in the days following strenuous exercise. Rather, the production of lactate and other metabolites during extreme exertion results in the burning sensation often felt in active muscles, though which exact metabolites are involved remains unclear. This often painful sensation also gets us to stop overworking the body, thus forcing a recovery period in which the body clears the lactate and other metabolites.

Researchers who have examined lactate levels right after exercise found little correlation with the level of muscle soreness felt a few days later. This delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS as it is called by exercise physiologists, is characterized by sometimes severe muscle tenderness as well as loss of strength and range of motion, usually reaching a peak 24 to 72 hours after the extreme exercise event. " Source: Scientific American Journal ("What is Lactic Acid build up in muscles? And Why does it cause muscle soreness?" http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-does-lactic-acid-buil)

To sum up, lactic acid isn't a waste product that the muscles produce, but rather a fuel that the muscle creates to burn off. The soreness is believed to be caused by small tears in the muscles as you push them and build them.

We totally agree on the WATER WATER WATER front! ALWAYS make sure you have water accessible during a work out! If you feel thirsty, you've gone too long w/o drinking! :)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    He got chest hair? Give that a little tug next time he messes with you. Apparently it's quite painful. :bigsmile:
    i give my husband's nipple a good twist...lol
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The only condition that could make him right is if you were lifting the SAME WEIGHT, the same number of reps.

If you are progressing and pushing yourself, you should be getting sore.

Sore = good, PAIN = bad.

This is exactly what I was going to say, but now I don't have to type all of that all out ;) I worked my back yesterday and I'm WAY sore today, but I upped my weight by 10 lbs, so I exptected it.

I actually use soreness as one of my guides. If it gets to a point that I finish a workout and don't feel anything the next day, time to step it up a notch. :)
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you are sore you are doing it right!!! Unless of course its a sharp pain then that is bad news bears.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are not working the same muscles day after day, because then they cannot repair themselves. I alternate upper body and lower body every day.
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I do alternate and do up my weight so at least I know I'm doing it right....Score one for me.....I love being right and having this many responses to prove I am right!!!

Thanks for the great motivation....good luck to all of you.