Hair loss

Has anyone experienced hair loss/thinning with weight loss? I've lost about 40-45 pounds in the last year. I thought I was eating healthy and had decent nutrition but for the last 5 months my hair had been falling out and is probably half as thick as it used to be.

Replies

• rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    I'm no expert, but I have seen miscellaneous posts about people doing low-carb/keto diets who sometimes lose hair. Also, I've been told by my dermatologist that a traumatic life event can cause hair loss about 4-5 months after the "trauma" occurs. I had it happen twice, after childbirth and after the death of my father. It did grow back eventually. Hopefully yours will start growing back soon - good luck!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Happened to me a few years ago when I lost a significant amount of weight. My hair stylist remarked on it, and said it's something she sees in people who have sustained lower calories over a period of time. It seems to be pretty much back to normal.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    How is your fat intake?
  • janisclan5
    janisclan5 Posts: 20 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What are your calories...hair growth requires energy (i.e. calories)...low calorie targets can cause hair loss. Inadequate protein can also cause hair loss. Not getting enough iron can cause hair loss...iron can be found in whole grains, meat, and green leafy vegetables.
    I have it around 1600 but usually come in under. I'm pretty active. I did recently read about too low of protein and just started trying to increase that.
    Nutritionally I thought vi was doing pretty good but I guess not!

• janisclan5
    fascha wrote: »
    How is your fat intake?

Not a lot of fats. Coconut oils, olive oil, avacado and whatever I get in lean beef and chicken.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    When I was losing hair it was a symptom of my hypothyroidism.
  • janisclan5
    I'll have to have it checked. I be had that for 20 years. Thank you
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    I'm getting ready for gastric sleeve and hair loss is a huge issue when you go through a surgery like that. The NP I'm working with said that happens because you don't get enough protein. 60-80grams is what she told me to get. So maybe see if it has something to do with your protein intake. If you don't already I'd add a multivitamin into your routine.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    When I did Weight Watcher's meetings this used to come up. Members would attribute the hair loss to not eating enough fat and claimed their hair regrew after adding more fats into their diets. This did make sense since WW is a low fat diet.
  • janisclan5
    I tried to up the protein for a few days and I had no appetite. Trying to find a balance will be tricky I guess.
    I do limit fat except for the "good" ones. It seems impossible to lose at this point and get all the proper nutrition. My diet prior to this past year was so much junk it's hard to believe that eating more healthy leaves me with hair loss!
  • sarah4284
    sarah4284 Posts: 29 Member
    I've had the same problem, probably 2 or 3 months after I started my diet I really noticed it. Probably lack of protein, I have such a hard time reaching my protein goal...
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Can be so many things! Deficiency, age, hormones, trauma, stress, nutrition. See a dermatologist. They might be able to narrow it down.
  • Zipbsky
    Zipbsky Posts: 99 Member
    I have heard this can happen when you aren't getting enough protein. A friend with weightloss surgery told me that her hair loss was a lot and that was the problem.

After gastric bypass people often become deficient in vitamin B12 because is is absorbed in the part of the intestines that is removed. This is usually why people's hair thins after these surguries.
  • fubarfornow
    fubarfornow Posts: 40 Member
    It happened to me after losing about 50 lbs - still have quite a bit to go. The dietician I have been working with told me it isn't unexpected, and it will grow back. But I would check and make sure you don't need a vitamin or iron or a thyroid med adjustment.
  • janisclan5
    It happened to me after losing about 50 lbs - still have quite a bit to go. The dietician I have been working with told me it isn't unexpected, and it will grow back. But I would check and make sure you don't need a vitamin or iron or a thyroid med adjustment.

Thank you! At least there's hope it'll grow back! I'll have blood work done to be sure.
  • janisclan5
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    Can be so many things! Deficiency, age, hormones, trauma, stress, nutrition. See a dermatologist. They might be able to narrow it down.

I didn't think about a dermatologist, thank you.
  • janisclan5
    sarah4284 wrote: »
    I've had the same problem, probably 2 or 3 months after I started my diet I really noticed it. Probably lack of protein, I have such a hard time reaching my protein goal...

I really can't add more without gaining.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    janisclan5 wrote: »
    sarah4284 wrote: »

I really can't add more without gaining.

You could tweak your diet to amend your macros without gaining, additionally you'd only gain if you were eating more than your maintenance calories. Hair loss is a sign that something is up with your body, that should be your concern at the moment over weight loss.