muslce weighs more than fat....hear me out!

Options
124»

Replies

• saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Well the argument is one of semantics so Weight = Mass X Gravity, Notice that there is no Density in that equation.
    Not the way you write it, but please note that density = mass / volume. That means we can change the equation to:

Weight = Density x Volume x Gravity

And voila, there you have a relation to density and everyone can see that a higher density can lead to a higher weight.
  • carilyn39
    carilyn39 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    awesome!!!! you rock star you!
    In other words, if I take the same amount in volume of fat and muscle and weigh them, they should weigh the same?

It just seems like if muscle is more dense, then in this particular case, muscle would weigh more if the volume of the two were the same....

No, by volume (e.g. a square inch of each), the muscle would be heavier. However, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat but takes up less space (i.e. volume). Lookie....

fatvmuscle.jpg

I just fell in love.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    So, whats heavier then? Muscle or fat ?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:drinker:
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Ok, I noticed a comment about "muscle does not weigh more than fat" and googled and found all the many articles on the subject. But the fact of the matter is that muscle DOES weigh more than fat. I realize a pound is a pound is a pound so a pound of anything is a pound. That is not the issue I am arguing.

If you hold one feather in your hand, it does not weigh the same as if you were to hold a quarter. They are both small, there is only one of each, but you will feel the quarter in your hand and not feel the feather. Just because a pound of feathers and a pound of quarters is still a pound does not mean the feather and the quarter weigh the same. It would take a lot more feathers to make up a pound than quarters.

So lets look at this from a more reasonable (in my opinion) perspective. If you were to take a square inch of muscle, and a square inch of fat, the muscle would weigh more and so....

muscle weighs more than fat

You're still incorrect. Muscle is DENSER than fat. Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat.

Agreed, how many more posts on this bloody subject!
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    So if I cut out this from my weekly diet
    lard.gif

I can eat as much of this as I want
    muscles.jpg

unless I have an allergy to seafood, in which case I take away the number I first thought of and just eat cake if there's an 'R' in the month.

Sorted
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Well the argument is one of semantics so Weight = Mass X Gravity, Notice that there is no Density in that equation.
    Not the way you write it, but please note that density = mass / volume. That means we can change the equation to:

And voila, there you have a relation to density and everyone can see that a higher density can lead to a higher weight.

Awesome! Except you forgot the parenthesis.

Weight = (Density x Volume) x Gravity
  • MissionABS
    MissionABS Posts: 80
    Options
    Ummm. A little help here please!

I cut out a square inch of both my fat and my muscle, but none of you brilliant people said anything about all of this blood. Am I supposed to weigh this alsoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

rotflmbo!!!!
  • MariaAlexandra
    MariaAlexandra Posts: 126 Member
    Options

rotflmbo!!!!

Poor Horsey!! :) Reading all of these replies, yes i read every single one! I am enlightened! LOL!! I don't want to take sides, I'm not a person to argue, but I've definitely learned a lot reading these :) WOO HOO!
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    mommamcculloug you are so right and nothing else matters, the rest of you get over it already....aaagggghhhhh!!!!! :(
  • jennahiggins
    jennahiggins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound.... If you have a pound of feathers and a pound of quarters.... the pound of feathers is going to of course be a lot more quantity than the pound of quarters. It's just like fat. One pound of Fat is LARGER than a pound of muscle, but a pound is a pound. If you lose 3 lbs of fat you are smaller, and if you turn those three pounds of fat into muscle, you are still smaller, but you are still going to have those 3 lbs of muscle.

That's why when you are losing weight, you are recommended to not only track your weight loss, but also to measure. You can lose 35 inches and only a couple pounds, because you turn the fat into muscle. You are smaller but you weigh the same.
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Since we are multiplying, no parenthesis are necessary at all.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

Since we are multiplying, no parenthesis are necessary at all.

True enough, I always like to be proper in my formulas though.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    did I leave my dead horse in here?

The one everyone keeps beating? Yeah it's in here.

Dead horse is alive and wondering if she should calculate exercise calories in getting beaten up.
    Then she will drink diet coke, and wonder if she should eat all her exercise calories.

This will also depend on TOM.

Why, Why, Why do newbies always do this?
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound.... If you have a pound of feathers and a pound of quarters.... the pound of feathers is going to of course be a lot more quantity than the pound of quarters. It's just like fat. One pound of Fat is LARGER than a pound of muscle, but a pound is a pound. If you lose 3 lbs of fat you are smaller, and if you turn those three pounds of fat into muscle, you are still smaller, but you are still going to have those 3 lbs of muscle.

That's why when you are losing weight, you are recommended to not only track your weight loss, but also to measure. You can lose 35 inches and only a couple pounds, because you turn the fat into muscle. You are smaller but you weigh the same.
    Please edit the reply! lol Fat does not turn into muscle either =D (and I don't care either way lol) Just saying!
  • VictorVegaJr
    VictorVegaJr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI
    muscle motivator: one pound of fat takes up 18% more space on your body than 1 pound of muscle!