Frustrated! Does exercise make you gain weight??

Options
2»

Replies

• Gozomalta28
    Gozomalta28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you all - so inspiring! I am going to log and weigh myself every day all March and check back in the end of the month! here we go.....
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    . Seriously, if I don't get up in the middle of the night to pee the scale will be up 1lb the next morning! It's time for Aunt Flo to visit so I'm going to be up several pounds for the next week...then like nothing, it will all disappear + some. Those days make up for the crappy ones :)

?? Whether I get up in the middle of the night, or pee first thing in the morning - I think it would be the same. I always weigh right AFTER, in the morning.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    . Seriously, if I don't get up in the middle of the night to pee the scale will be up 1lb the next morning! It's time for Aunt Flo to visit so I'm going to be up several pounds for the next week...then like nothing, it will all disappear + some. Those days make up for the crappy ones :)

?? Whether I get up in the middle of the night, or pee first thing in the morning - I think it would be the same. I always weigh right AFTER, in the morning.

I always weight first thing in the morning right after I go to the bathroom. However, if I pee in the middle of the night there is less water in my system than if I don't (I'm more dehydrated), therefore causing me to weigh less. I know it's weird, but being someone who rarely makes it through the night without 1 or 2 trips to the bathroom it's one of the things I noticed. It just further makes the point that a million seemingly random things can cause your weight to fluctuate.
  • kayysmalls
    kayysmalls Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sorry in advance for the long post. I am struggling to loose about 5-10 lbs, I weigh between 129-133 would love to be between 121-125. Height, 5ft - reason to loose, I just feel better a little smaller. I am a runner but recently (Summer) got injured and was on crutches for a couple of months. Of course no exercise. My diet did not change much at the time, kept eating almost as much as I did when I ran; I eat TONS of fresh produce. During that time the weight came off and I lost the lbs; I am back into running a little bit (not as much as before) and working out 6 days a week and the weight came back on! I am about to quit working out, but it is such a mental stress reliever for me. I burn about 1900 - 2300 calories per day. Below is what I usually eat on a daily basis
    wake up 4:30am
    workout
    breakfast - half cup fiber one cereal with 1 cup strawberries
    lunch - handful carrots, mini peppers, couple of tomatoes, 2 oz turkey and 3 light wasa crackers
    snack - handful almonds and apple
    dinner - 3 oz chicken, tons of fresh produce (squash, cauliflower, mushrooms, kale salad, cherry tomatoes) and half a pita. With tbls olive oil and some goat cheese.
    - glass wine
    AND one night a week I eat 3 slices of pizza, VERY light on the cheese/tons of veggies
    - dessert - nuts, greek yogurt, small piece of chocolate, maybe one small cookie

Would love it if anyone can give me their input. My nutritionist had said before that i need to eat about 1850 on exercise days; 1350 non exercise days.

I am just very shocked that the weight came off when i stopped exercise. Apologies again for the long post but would love to see if anyone else has experienced this. TIA.

I would say eat more! It worked for me! If you are working out that much you need more food. I learned that the hard way. It sounds crazy, but it really is that simple. I know tiny woman that eat a ton to stay fit and healthy
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    srk369 wrote: »

My weight fluctuates SO SO MUCH!!! I will follow your advice and start weighing daily. Is your diary open? I would love to take a look. Thanks again for all your help

There are a couple of good apps for capturing your weight trends...Happy Scale (ios) and Libra (Android) or trendweight.com (links to a fitbit account I believe). I personally use Libra and love it.

Good luck!

Not familiar at all, what does it do? Tracks weight?

You can input your weight on a daily basis and it will track the overall trend. So even on days that I go up in weight, I can see that my overall trend is still going down. I went up in weight today and my trend still says I am losing 0.9lbs/week and shows it on a pretty graph :)
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Just to quickly share my experience, I didn't exercise for about 3-4 weeks because first I was sick, then on vacation for 2 weeks, then came home and was sick again. I did maintain my weight during those weeks (I'm in maintenance) and I was surprised about that because my eating wasn't great. Well I started back up with exercise and immediately put on a couple pounds. It was discouraging but I also know that it was water weight from the new routine.

Unfortunately I couldn't shake those pounds though! After a few weeks of being back in my normal routine, I was still above my maintenance range. I decided I better buckle down on my eating. My tracking had been pretty lax. Once I started logging more accurately, I was able to take off a few pounds and get back into my maintenance range.

So tldr: Yes a new exercise routine can cause some water weight gain but it should be temporary and if it's not, you need to eat less.
  • deviousme7
    deviousme7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The weeks I walk more than usual I don't lose weight even though calories in are the same, so I quit my extra walks to drop fat. Excerise is for health
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    your problem is in the lack of weighing - your first post talks about "one handful", "small cookie", "one cup" - you need to weigh stuff, not eyeball it!