Looking for motivation - need to lose 40 pounds!

Options
Hi, my name is Jess

I am 20 years old, i had a baby 10 months ago, I gained weight before i got pregnant. I have lost almost 60 pounds, but then got off track, and can't seem to get back on. I'm getting really down on myself and need some sort of encouragment by people who are in the same boat. I would like to know what you do to lose weight! I have a problem saying no, or just giving in to bad foods. Help me please!!!

Thanks

Replies

• ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Hello Jess, its nice to have u here on MFP. I know u can do this....it takes friends like us to help. Just eating right, watching portiion sizes, and exercise can help u get started. u always will learn everyday of new ideas. So welcome lets do this togeather.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've got about 50 or so more. my daughter is getting ready to turn 2!!
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    The hard part for me is getting into it. Once I start seeing results and a difference in my body and how clothes fit; it gets A LOT easier. I had a baby 5 1/2 months ago and I am currently 7lb less than when I first got pregnant. I still have 40lbs to go, but it is easier now that I can see results.

There are going to be missteps along the way; the important thing is to get right back into it and not to let that stop you.

I think the motivating factor for me was Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It is a 25 min workout with 3 different levels you can work up to. It is great for me because I can do it after the baby goes to bed at night and I started to see a difference in my waist after 3 days. That was all I needed to kick start my weight loss.
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    Hello! I'm 24. No kids. I lost over 70 lbs from eating better. I'm kinda lazy so i don't really work out like i should if at all. I'm now 148. I went low carb and went from 160 to 150. Now I just make good choices and it shows when i don't. I feel like I got this way from eating so I'll correct it by eating right.

I give in so I made a basic list of no's to follow:

NO soda
    NO junky fruit juices loaded w sugar
    NO cheap cereals or ones made for kids (kashi is the bomb!)
    A tennis ball is a serving of pasta
    NO rice
    NO corn (once you reduce carbs and sugars, the feeling of need for them disappears. I rarely eat bread, almost no pasta eaither and don't crave cakes cookies etc.)

no too hard. lol hope that helps feel free to add me <3 Christina
  • fordfan67
    fordfan67 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi, Jess, I'm Patty; welcome to the site! I, like you, have trouble saying no to bad foods and habits. I have a new grandson (3 months old), and realized that I need to get back on track and stay there so I can tell him all the crazy things his mother (and grandmother) did when they were young. One of my fondest memories is my grandmother telling me stories of her youth. Moral of this is: if you can't stay focused for yourself, stay focused for your baby. Your baby needs you more than you realize and will need you in the future, too! Stay motivated, stay positive, and feel free to add me as a friend!
  • mymuvee
    mymuvee Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you :) Im so happy i found this site!
  • jamesrouse1
    Options
    Jess,

Sorry to hear your having a rough time losing weight, but I know if I can lose weight, then anybody can because I've struggled too. I've lost about 60 pounds so far and have another 30 to go.

Here's what I'm doing (sorry for the long story, but it's important to how I succeed)...almost exactly one year ago I went to the doctor and found out I had high cholesterol and was on the path to have a heart attack in my forties. I was only thirty-two at the time. I keep a journal for my son (he's about 26 months) and after that appointment, I wrote a letter to him promising that I was going to lower my cholesterol and lose weight and that I would REPORT BACK TO HIM IN ONE YEAR about my progress. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to see where my cholesterol is (it was a lot lower at my first progress check 6 months ago!) and on Saturday I will report back to my son in another letter in my journal.

I will not fail my son. I've had my rough patches and have plateaued at times, just like everyone else, but overall, I'm doing really well because he is my motivation and I love him more than anything. I am going to set a good example for him. I am going to show him that if he sets his mind to something, he can accomplish it. For me, this is the "How" of how I get it done. Everything else I do is pretty routine.

I eat low-no fat food whenever possible, high fiber, almost no cheese, reduced or no sugar, salads, no red meat and I enter EVERYTHING on this website. I work out mostly because it allows me to eat more : ). I do 30 minute cardio workouts 2-3 times a week and walk for 30 minutes a few other days. I HATE WORKING OUT but I have good motivation.

I'm not perfect, but I don't let myself fail too much, because I don't want to fail my son. You can do this. I know you love your son/daughter. Let them be your motivation and your accountability.

JR