I quit my job because I thought it was making me fat

Options
So I had this fantastic job, I enjoyed it and I'd been doing it for 6 years. Unfortunately I often worked long hours, sitting down, and not taking breaks and stuffing my face with rubbish while doing other things and over that time I slowly gained 20kg (44lbs). So recently I became convinced that it was my jobs fault I'm fat so I resigned. I'm now about to start a job where I will be on my feet all day and will actually have to take breaks because I won't be able to eat while I work. So realistically is this going to make any difference?

Replies

• PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    1nprgr3s wrote: »
    So I had this fantastic job, I enjoyed it and I'd been doing it for 6 years. Unfortunately I often worked long hours, sitting down, and not taking breaks and stuffing my face with rubbish while doing other things and over that time I slowly gained 20kg (44lbs). So recently I became convinced that it was my jobs fault I'm fat so I resigned. I'm now about to start a job where I will be on my feet all day and will actually have to take breaks because I won't be able to eat while I work. So realistically is this going to make any difference?

A lot of office environments are really unhealthy. I used to work in an office where I was surrounded by candy, cakes, treats people would bring in especially around the holidays, etc. I liked working there, but I also constanly wished I could quit to get away from the food culture.

Every office/job has some problem. I don't know if you were able to talk to your old employer about the need to move more. Were you able to ask for help maybe a standing desk, or the need to take a walk for your health, or even the need for an assistant if the workload was too much? What if conditions change in the new place? Friendly communication can sometimes help. I don't have any answers, just throwing out these thoughts.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    whatever works for you! I will say I did a standup high energy job in a grocery store and thought I would lose weight because I had always did office work. No, it didn't happen. I went to the gym for 1 year and did not lose weight. My hubby seems to lose weight when he is active but for me it is my Food. I have to watch my food intake! But my husband does not seem to be hungry if he is real active. Everyone is different.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    What was it about the job itself that caused you to eat the rubbish? Because I've had friends in those kind of environments where they are just tied to the desk 14hrs a day, and you become so exhausted you make bad choices because they're simple and quick. But it really is a choice issue.
    Are you going to make better choices or continue eating 'rubbish' regardless of whether or not you're tied to the desk?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    In the past, I worked several different places on my feet all day, and that was when I was at my heaviest weight. It wasn't until I started working a sedentary desk job that I lost all of my weight. How did that work? I started tracking and controlling my intake, and getting regular exercise. I started planning my meals and prepping in advance, rather than just winging it when I was hungry. Food is such a big part of our health in our daily lives, yet it also seems to be the one thing people give the least attention.
    Your weight won't change until your habits change.