I quit my job because I thought it was making me fat

Options

Replies

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most previous posters. Inactivity all day is unhealthy, and can make it difficult to maintain weight because you must stick with a fairly low calorie goal. Yes, you could make the numbers work, but it's not easy.

OP, if you keep all else the same (calories eaten per day and activity level outside of work) then I would think you would lose weight with this new job. I do hope it's one you enjoy, as well!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most previous posters. Inactivity all day is unhealthy, and can make it difficult to maintain weight because you must stick with a fairly low calorie goal. Yes, you could make the numbers work, but it's not easy.
    The questions is, is she going to lose weight, not maintain. It is absolutely possible to lose weight or maintain being sedentary, people do it all the time. You get less calories to eat without exercise, I'll grant you that but h-e-double hockey sticks we have a lot of people on here we can't get to eat 1200 even begging for health, so even 1200 might be easy for her now.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options

OP, if you keep all else the same (calories eaten per day and activity level outside of work) then I would think you would lose weight with this new job. I do hope it's one you enjoy, as well!

Im sorry but this is all about choices, there are so many people who work a desk job and they have come to MFP and lost weight without quitting their job, they made changes, be it dietary or just using their breaks to walk more, taking the stairs, etc.. but these people managed to make it work, they are healthier now.

I completely agree. But she was simply asking if her change would make a difference. All else the same, I think it will. She's not asking about all of her possible options to increase CO or decrease CI, she's already changed jobs...correct?
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the change!

Of course it's possible to lose/maintain weight in a sedentary job - and many people on here have done just that.

RE-reading the initial post again, I don't interpret it as being purely about weight loss.
    Even though you say you enjoyed the job very much, the long hours, no breaks and implied stress-eating make it sound like it was pretty all-consuming and left you little time for other things that are important to you in life (including, but not necessarily limited to keeping healthy).

I also currently have a desk-based job I enjoy very much and feel valued in - which is pretty great.
    It's not a major issue for me right now, but I'm aware it takes me some conscious effort to monitor calorie intake/fit in exercise to make up for being at a desk all day and that (combined with a long commute and long work hours) reduces free time available.
    I can imagine wanting to reassess whether it still works in a few years too.

(On a related note, I just switched to a standing desk at work, which is great! When no-one is looking, I try to stand on one leg for as long as possible :D )
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey.